Got our Jeep wet, Now it dies when we take off. :( - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Got our Jeep wet, Now it dies when we take off. :(

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-16-2009, 11:06 AM   #1
srtreat83

Got our Jeep wet, Now it dies when we take off. :(

We have a 97 Jeep wrangler. Ok so in the offroad course park last weekend my husband and I went through some pretty deep water in which the little hill at the beginning kinda made the hood & front in dip into the water first. A few minutes later it started cutting out and died. It started back up and died as soon as we started to take off. Since then it will either not start at all or die after a few minutes of idling or die when you start to drive it. We have hair dryed the rotor and distributor cap ( not sure if that is the right name and hubby isnt here) and that seemed to help make it run longer. Whenever it doesn't start it turns over but doesnt start. No fuses are blown under the hood except the cig lighter. My husband is notorious for guessing at what is wrong and fixing 10 things that are perfectly fine before finding the real problem so I just thought I would try to see if anyone might know... Any ideas?

srtreat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Wish I knew what the problem is, but I don't go in deep water. Everytime I see someone do it they have either hydrolocked the engine or experience the same kind of thing you have described for months or years to come.
I'd start by using shop air to dry out all the harness connections and putting some dialectric grease on them. Then I'd do the same to the spark plug wire boots on the both ends. I am curious to know if water was ingested at the air filter box. Has he taken that off and inspected the filter and inlet tube? Could be a bigger problem than just some water at an electrical connection if so. How'd you get home?
Unread 08-16-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
justin102
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Check the air filter box. You prob sucked some water into the intake. thats where I would start
Unread 08-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
srtreat83

We rode with a friend and pulled the jeep home on a trailer. We were, however, dumb enough to take one of our daily drivers to the offroad park. lol next time we will take a project vehicle we can tear the piss out of without worry. I do not think he has checked the air filter box. We will try these things out. Thanks
Unread 08-16-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
shaggy03TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

sounds to me like sucked some water into the engine. I'd pull all the spark plugs crank the engine should push out some water if any in there might want to take flash light and look into spark plug hole maybe can see water before cranking. then either clean the spark plugs or change them along with the air filter. happened to a guy i use to off road with we had no tools though so instead i pulled him around in a corn field for an hr with his jeep in 4th gear until it cleared out the water from his engine thank god didn't hydro lock his engine.
shaggy03TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
rezhick
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Spray wd 40 all over the distributor cap and plug wires it will dry out the electrical system.
rezhick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Have you checked for water inside the distributor cap?...
Unread 08-16-2009, 08:56 PM   #8
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srtreat83 View Post
We rode with a friend and pulled the jeep home on a trailer. We were, however, dumb enough to take one of our daily drivers to the offroad park. lol next time we will take a project vehicle we can tear the piss out of without worry. I do not think he has checked the air filter box. We will try these things out. Thanks
Just because it's a project vehicle doesn't mean it won't suffer from the same problems. Lots of people take daily drivers wheeling, that wasn't the dumb part. Just stay out of the water.
Also, pull the intake tube off the throttle body and open the butterfly. Let us know if you see any water in there.
Unread 08-17-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
srtreat83

We tried the WD 40 thing.... and we dried out the distibutor cap. Its been over a week... we are thinking it is an electrical problem.
Unread 08-17-2009, 10:05 AM   #10
srtreat83

It would just be nice to not have to worry about having something to drive to work/school when we get home if we took a vehicle we didn't drive everyday.
Unread 08-17-2009, 10:46 AM   #11
srlbotanical
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Its an electrical issue. Water is still somewhere shorting out a sensor or shorting out the ignition. You did not suck water into the engine. If so, you would have hydro-locked that first time you tried to start it...

As a side note, if a vehicle ever dies in deep water, pull the plugs BEFORE you try to crank it over the first time. It may save your engine.

HIGHER POWERED!!
srlbotanical is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #12
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It is possible, though not the most likely thing, that you got water in your fuel...

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2009, 11:48 AM   #13
htownjeep
What's that noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin102 View Post
Check the air filter box. You prob sucked some water into the intake. thats where I would start
Something similar happened to me once and this was the problem. It could be a lot of things though. Definitely check this though.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.