Got me some new axles (swap and gear ?) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Got me some new axles (swap and gear ?)

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 12-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
tcate23-97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got me some new axles (swap and gear ?)

Hopefully everyone has had happy holidays, should be my last new thread for a while...maybe not.

Anyways, was able to pick up D30/D35 axles with 4.10 gears for a GREAT price so I jumped on that instead of dropping 1600 (best price I could find) on a regear. While I will 100% regear eventually, I am on a major time constraint and am unsure of my final tire size.

I would like to keep my rear axle and use the new front i got...but i need the 4.10 setup out of the new axle. Is there anyway for me to sway the carrier w/the gear and pinion in place to my old rear. What alignment problems would I run into?

P.S- Any suggestions on anything to do to the new axles? Already planning on cleaning them down good and throwing a layer or two of black rust prevention paint just in case.

Thank you as always! Very appreciative of the help given on jeep forum.

tcate23-97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
robncar
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you pull the gears/carrier from the old axle and move them to the new, you'll need to setup the gears again.

What trans?
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
tcate23-97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robncar View Post
If you pull the gears/carrier from the old axle and move them to the new, you'll need to setup the gears again.

What trans?
AX-15 5 spd manual. And so essentially it would be near the same process as regearing the axle, in relation to setting up the gears?
Unread 12-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
robncar
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcate23-97 View Post
AX-15 5 spd manual. And so essentially it would be near the same process as regearing the axle, in relation to setting up the gears?
Yes, same as a re-gear. Your profile shows 33's, so with the 5-speed and 33's you'd want 4.56. But, the 4.10s will be an improvement over the 3.07's. If the future is 35's, I'd lose the D35 anyway.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
tcate23-97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robncar View Post
Yes, same as a re-gear. Your profile shows 33's, so with the 5-speed and 33's you'd want 4.56. But, the 4.10s will be an improvement over the 3.07's. If the future is 35's, I'd lose the D35 anyway.
Yes, I was initially going to 4.56 but like I said above, had time constraints on either getting it doe or doing nothing for a few months and couldn't find someone trustworthy to work on it. Hoping the 4.10 will be a big boost, then will finish everything else once i decide on "permanent" tires and suspension setup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.