Got a Lean and not sure from what - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By TJnBC

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-22-2017, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
grininmonkey
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Got a Lean and not sure from what

Haven't been on the Forum in a while, life got busy and what not... so howdy all...

Anyway, earlier this summer I noticed my passenger front side was constantly lower than driver side ( distance between fender and top of tire ) and the rear is less off, but is still off.

So I suspected passenger front spring sag (when I hold rear passenger up so that the rear is perfectly level, front is still off) and to test this, I swapped driver <--> passenger springs and the result was the same, I recently double checked for any control arm pre-load by parking on a by-gosh level concrete car port and loosened CA bolts, backed out pulled in a couple of times and checked the "lean" and it was still there. I tightened my CA bolts back to spec and now at a bit of a loss as to where I should be looking for what is now causing my lean.

This is my consistent lean with nobody in the Jeep. Front passenger is 1/2" lower than driver.... Rear passenger is 1/4" lower than driver.

A year ago when I did my high-line fenders I was checking fender clearance and I recall all sides where equal and it was sitting level, so something has happened and looking for thoughts.

Also.. I have checked with my sways dis-connected etc.. to rule out in-correct sway tension.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-22-2017, 11:13 AM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grininmonkey View Post
Haven't been on the Forum in a while, life got busy and what not... so howdy all...

Anyway, earlier this summer I noticed my passenger front side was constantly lower than driver side ( distance between fender and top of tire ) and the rear is less off, but is still off.

So I suspected passenger front spring sag (when I hold rear passenger up so that the rear is perfectly level, front is still off) and to test this, I swapped driver <--> passenger springs and the result was the same, I recently double checked for any control arm pre-load by parking on a by-gosh level concrete car port and loosened CA bolts, backed out pulled in a couple of times and checked the "lean" and it was still there. I tightened my CA bolts back to spec and now at a bit of a loss as to where I should be looking for what is now causing my lean.

This is my consistent lean with nobody in the Jeep. Front passenger is 1/2" lower than driver.... Rear passenger is 1/4" lower than driver.

A year ago when I did my high-line fenders I was checking fender clearance and I recall all sides where equal and it was sitting level, so something has happened and looking for thoughts.

Also.. I have checked with my sways dis-connected etc.. to rule out in-correct sway tension.
Not sure if its the same for you...but I will throw it out there.

My 97 TJ had a HP30 swapped in. I notice my passenger was lower after about 4 years of weekend wheeling. It ended up being the Coil buck/plate had sunken a bit (weak thin plate above the axle). I had to weld in a new plate (thicker) to bring it back up to stock. Everything was fine after.

Not sure if I hit a big bump or just from 4 years of abuse, that thin plate the coil sits on just couldn't handle the pressure?
olysteve likes this.

2006 LJR...the madness begins again
post #3 of 5 Old 08-22-2017, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
grininmonkey
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJnBC View Post
Not sure if its the same for you...but I will throw it out there.

My 97 TJ had a HP30 swapped in. I notice my passenger was lower after about 4 years of weekend wheeling. It ended up being the Coil buck/plate had sunken a bit (weak thin plate above the axle). I had to weld in a new plate (thicker) to bring it back up to stock. Everything was fine after.

Not sure if I hit a big bump or just from 4 years of abuse, that thin plate the coil sits on just couldn't handle the pressure?
Hummm... not sure I can really tell if that is the case with mine... just looking at it

post #4 of 5 Old 08-22-2017, 11:44 AM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grininmonkey View Post
Hummm... not sure I can really tell if that is the case with mine... just looking at it
I mean I could visually tell that the plate had sunk / dented a bit. Maybe you measure from Coil bucket to top , inside of Coil tower on both sides.

Just a thought. Hope you find out whats up. Stranger things happens to our silly jeeps

Only other thought that came to mind. Do you use coil spacers? Or still have the stock isolators above the coils? Maybe they have deteriorated on one side causing them to sit lower on that side?

2006 LJR...the madness begins again
post #5 of 5 Old 08-22-2017, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
grininmonkey
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJnBC View Post
I mean I could visually tell that the plate had sunk / dented a bit. Maybe you measure from Coil bucket to top , inside of Coil tower on both sides.

Just a thought. Hope you find out whats up. Stranger things happens to our silly jeeps

Only other thought that came to mind. Do you use coil spacers? Or still have the stock isolators above the coils? Maybe they have deteriorated on one side causing them to sit lower on that side?
I replaced the OEM rubber isolators with .5" poly spacers a while back when I did a coil change because the OEMs where on their last leg. When I did the left/right swap recently the poly blocks looked to be in good shape.

It's hard for me to say, but the coil on the driver side axle plate is mostly flat with just the end of coil bit that is raised and starting to cover the coil just beyond the coil retainer mount. The passenger side last bit of coil does seem to sink into the plate a bit more but not a lot.... maybe 1/4 of the thickness of the coil is sunk all around.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.