Goodbye Long Arms... hello short arms - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Goodbye Long Arms... hello short arms

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-29-2010, 11:41 PM   #106
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
Am I the only one that is confused why savvy is listed as a tag? There is nothing savvy about this thread. They will not be making any products, and there is no mod of any of their products except for the UA which is irrelevant to the topic at hand.
You should know by now that any opportunity I get to build something from scratch or modify something else, I view it as a potential product. For all you know, you may be looking at our prototype suspension.

Don't let your pedantric desires trip you up.

Unread 07-29-2010, 11:46 PM   #107
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Am I the only one that is confused why savvy is listed as a tag? There is nothing savvy about this thread. They will not be making any products, and there is no mod of any of their products except for the UA which is irrelevant to the topic at hand.
This is clearly a build thread dedicated to, and initiated by Mr. Robert Yates, performed/executed by MrBlaine, with components from many manufacturers, of which Savyy may or may not be one.
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 02:14 AM   #108
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You're probably the only one who cares.

Ok so I understand how the radius rod mounts, but I don't understand why. In my under-educated mind it seems as if it would rip of CA mounts easier than a prom queen's dress. Also, was rear steer an issue? I tried to picture this in my mind and it seems like it would push and pull the axle forwards and back? I do believe I'm in over my head though.
Unread 07-30-2010, 06:28 AM   #109
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I read part of your long arm low lift thread and you need to study up some more.

Those telling you that longer arms are required for a good ride, handling and performance on the trail are full of it.
Understatement of the year...I wasn't be facetious when I said I almost understood some of it. The problem I'm having is that I'm getting conflicting opinions from pretty much every source out there, but I'm not hearing the reasons or facts behind the opinions. Thus, I'm doing a lot of reading on my own time and trying to come up with answers. When I have relevant, intelligent questions to ask, I'll be doing so.

Thank you for looking over my thread. If you have any suggestions, I trust I will hear from you. For now, I'm going to shut the hell up and try to figure out this radius rod system you're working on.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:45 AM   #110
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Look at the upper arm and the bracket on the end...the single joint goes to the frame.
The two joints go onto the axle, and the single joint connects to the frame? Seems like it's upside down for that..

Is this another version of said radius rod?

This is what I first thought of when the subject arose. That to me seems like a plausible suspension setup. But the other one I guess is the same thing, almost.
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:55 AM   #111
ocTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Sundowner if their's anything I've seen looking at some of the work done on the Savvy jeeps and driving around in them.. Ride is more effected by spring and shocks as long as geometry isn't significantly altered. My lift is 2 months old I'm already ordering new shocks from Gerald today

Ignore list or not I'm curious on this because eventually I want to move away from a factory designed suspension. I'm trying to figure out if triangulated 4 link or triangulated 3 link or another option will be the right stuff. Sometimes thinking through the physics isn't enough you have to learn from others

Dale II thank you for the visual that's what I was looking at but something still seems missing..

2002 Apex Jeep TJ Lifted, Locked, geared and ready for more
ocTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:59 AM   #112
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleII View Post
Is this another version of said radius rod?
That's a radius arm set-up.
Red Jeep Club Member #565
My Registry Profile

WTB: UnderCover Fab No-Body Lift Skid Plate
WTB: Rokmen or Currie Control Arms
↑ PM me!

Ever had Death Wobble? Please respond to the poll here!
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #113
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

This!

Looks good for something that doesn't have much suspension travel. But not on a long travel Jeep.
Unread 07-30-2010, 10:25 AM   #114
ocTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleII View Post
This!

Looks good for something that doesn't have much suspension travel. But not on a long travel Jeep.
Same thing I'm trying to understand other than it's strong enough to handle (I imagine I haven't real world experience but stock F350 is a similar setup) high speed impacts and heavy abuse.

Unread 07-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #115
snowrydr01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i too am confused about the radius arm vs radius rod suspension theory

the only thing i can possibly guess is that having the convergence point further back (ie TBT in picture as opposed to a RE front) it would allow more torsional movement (flex) before the joints bind up?

Then again that is just my WAG
snowrydr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #116
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've got my head wrapped around how it works, I think. Not sure about why it would be better or worse than a radius arm, though...seems like it's putting a lot of load on one area, though.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #117
ocTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I think (I could be wrong) the geometry not only has to do with the ability to flex but also the direction the force is applied to the arms and the direction the force is transferred to the from from the arm. So some certain setups would tend to squat more than others under acceleration or torque left to right more etc. Maybe a smarter person can pop in on this.

Unread 07-30-2010, 12:38 PM   #118
crusty1007

Alright Blaine, you've had 4 days. Is it done yet?

www.SynergySuspension.com ----> Click and download the new catalog!!!
crusty1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #119
SierraDave
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Definitely looking forward to seeing some actual pics of a mid-arm set-up!
SierraDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #120
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

^i keep checking everyday for pics

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
mightydog78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
control arms , currie , custom , fabrication , long arms , mod , modification , savvy , short arms , suspension , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.