Goodbye Long Arms... hello short arms - Page 48 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Goodbye Long Arms... hello short arms

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #706
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Been there done that.

Unread 06-16-2014, 11:58 PM   #707
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
The side bolsters make entering and exiting the Jeep a little tougher but the extra support is well worth it.
Agreed.... Can't imagine running anything deeper on a DD rig. Wife hasn't given it a shot yet so that should be interesting when it happens
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2014, 12:02 AM   #708
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
I originally ordered an anti rock but they were on backorder and couldn't give me a delivery date. And no rear sway bar sucked.

This one was in stock. So it won. So far so good.

And no idea what btdt means.
I have a stock rear sway bar so that's not an issue and when I get around to wanting it done, if the Antirock is in back order, I can wait.
Unread 07-18-2014, 11:47 PM   #709
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well.... I needed a rear swaybar solution before getting around to the Antirock so I poked around in my garage and came up with one. Years ago I had ordered a Full Traction rear swaybar so I dug it out and ordered a new set of Antirock links. Blaine helped me out with enlarging the holes to accommodate the new linkage and then I got to work this afternoon. Haven't driven it yet but that will happen tomorrow. The stocker was toast... It was tweaked and the bushings were gone which was letting it slide sideways and it was getting into my control arms. It's a bit beefier than the stock bar but it's also longer so I think everything will balance out.

Edit: sorry for the blurry pic but I was having a hard time with the camera under the Jeep.... Dealing with a broken thumb from a MTB crash on Wednesday.
image-4258066668.jpg

image-2217613016.jpg

Unread 07-19-2014, 01:31 PM   #710
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I really like that combo for the rear.

What is the bar size? I know addco and hell wig both make a larger than stock bar. The fronts are 1.25 but I think the rear bar is 3/4-1 inch chromoly.
aparke4 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2014, 06:04 PM   #711
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It's 3/4 and I took it to Blaine as I don't have a drillpress or carbon bits to get through hardened spring steel.... The opinion after he drilled it was that it's pretty soft. Not like the stocker. We'll see how long it lasts LOL.

As for the performance..... Huge improvement. I used the mounting points furthest out on the bar and adjusted the linkage so that the bar ends and linkage didn't hang down below my control arms.
Unread 07-19-2014, 11:32 PM   #712
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

awesome- thanks for quick response.
Unread 07-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #713
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Curious as to how you'll like it on the trail. I have the Addco in the rear with an Antirock up front.
4wdjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2014, 01:21 PM   #714
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've always run the stock rear bar modified with Antirock links and while the FT bar is a bit larger in diameter, the arms on which the links mount are longer than the stocker which I think will balance things out. We'll see. The Jeep is noticeably flatter in the corners on road.
Unread 11-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #715
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I just read a good amount of this thread and I really liked how everything turned out Robert I see there haven't been any updates since July, any recent updates being left unspoken?

IndyORV
B2CARPEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #716
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I actually do have a project in progress that I should be putting some updates up in the next couple/three weeks or so. Thanx for asking
Unread 11-08-2014, 04:52 PM   #717
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert j. Yates
i actually do have a project in progress that i should be putting some updates up in the next couple/three weeks or so. Thanx for asking
👍
Unread 11-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #718
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates View Post
I actually do have a project in progress that I should be putting some updates up in the next couple/three weeks or so. Thanx for asking
I knew it!

Looking fw to to your updates.

IndyORV
B2CARPEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2014, 12:45 AM   #719
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparke4
ddc4d
I have no idea what that means.. English please.
Unread 11-09-2014, 11:27 AM   #720
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates View Post
Agreed.... Can't imagine running anything deeper on a DD rig. Wife hasn't given it a shot yet so that should be interesting when it happens
Looks like the seats I have (Twisted Stitch, APEX seats) have bolsters that are a bit higher. You do have to kind of "hop" out of them, but once you do it a few times it's easy. I was a little concerned about this as well, but after DDing my willys with these seats, I decided to get some for the TJ as well.

Once I mount them to the roll cage (I'll be working on the cage soon) they will be mounted a little bit lower, and leaned back a little bit more. Will be a more comfortable seating position, and will probably be a little bit easier to get in and out of. Though it's not difficult to get in an out as is. You just can't "slide" out of them like with the factory seats, you have to grab the roll cage and pull your self up and out. Sounds like alot of work, but once you do it a few times and figure it out, it's really no problem.

Tags
control arms , currie , custom , fabrication , long arms , mod , modification , savvy , short arms , suspension , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.