Goodbye Long Arms... hello short arms - Page 47 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Goodbye Long Arms... hello short arms

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #691
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantTJ View Post
Damn I'm poor.
Me too LOL.

Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 06:22 AM   #692
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just reread through this build. It's nice to know that the factory Currie trackbar/steering/PSC assist, are all playing nicely with the Blaine designed suspension mods. Besides the tie rod flip and track bar bracket relocations, the frame notch, and the modifications for mounting the shocks, was there anything else that had to be tweaked to make the bolt on parts play well with the custom fabricated stuff?

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 07:49 AM   #693
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The frame notch was needed when we repurposed the original crossover steering. It isn't needed with the new axle with the Currie set up so you can forget about that if you go Currie.

The fabrication for the emissions canister relocation to accommodate the PSC reservoir tried Blaine's patience In the later models, it's easier. My tray mounted ARB compressor also had to be taken apart, rotated and tucked underneath the Hydrobooster.

For some reason, the coil buckets on the new axle were off substantially from the factory and a new set of Currie springs was needed to clear the shock towers as the old springs were put into an arc and interfered with them.

Beyond those particular issues..... There is a ton of Blaine's fabrication work in the lower and upper shock mounts as well as the axle sleeve/truss. The tie rod flip kit is also used with the sway bar bracket relocation and the "C"'s have gussets along with work needed to accommodate the ram at the axle.

As for the PSC stuff..... It is matched extremely well. I used to run a Tommy Lee pump, box and reservoir along with the Hydrobooster. I got some funky feedback in both the brake pedal and steering as well as the pump howling at speed and poor on center feel on pavement. This isn't necessarily a dig at Tommy's stuff and it was the best out there 10 years ago and I always had plenty of power off road. It's more a point of the constant improvement that has taken place along with a critical eye towards matching parts and flow. The PSC stuff is invisible on road.... I even let my wife drive this truck around which says a lot for it build wise that she can get in it, turn the key and drive it like any other car.
Unread 01-23-2014, 08:02 AM   #694
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates View Post
The frame notch was needed when we repurposed the original crossover steering. It isn't needed with the new axle with the Currie set up so you can forget about that if you go Currie.

The fabrication for the emissions canister relocation to accommodate the PSC reservoir tried Blaine's patience In the later models, it's easier. My tray mounted ARB compressor also had to be taken apart, rotated and tucked underneath the Hydrobooster.

For some reason, the coil buckets on the new axle were off substantially from the factory and a new set of Currie springs was needed to clear the shock towers as the old springs were put into an arc and interfered with them.

Beyond those particular issues..... There is a ton of Blaine's fabrication work in the lower and upper shock mounts as well as the axle sleeve/truss. The tie rod flip kit is also used with the sway bar bracket relocation and the "C"'s have gussets along with work needed to accommodate the ram at the axle.

As for the PSC stuff..... It is matched extremely well. I used to run a Tommy Lee pump, box and reservoir along with the Hydrobooster. I got some funky feedback in both the brake pedal and steering as well as the pump howling at speed and poor on center feel on pavement. This isn't necessarily a dig at Tommy's stuff and it was the best out there 10 years ago and I always had plenty of power off road. It's more a point of the constant improvement that has taken place along with a critical eye towards matching parts and flow. The PSC stuff is invisible on road.... I even let my wife drive this truck around which says a lot for it build wise that she can get in it, turn the key and drive it like any other car.
That's nice to know. I'm building something similar, but for now I'm sticking with short arms in the factory locations. I'll upgrade to the mid arms after I've gotten everything else sorted out and playing nicely together. I still have a long way to go to catch up. It all seems nice and simple, but the parts add up pretty quickly.

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 08:48 AM   #695
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
. It all seems nice and simple, but the parts add up pretty quickly.
We knew when we first did the mid arm that we were going to have to dig into the front axle and the steering and I needed some time to put more cash together which is why this build happened in 2 phases. The PSC stuff isn't cheap... Same with the Currie.
Unread 01-23-2014, 08:54 AM   #696
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
It all seems nice and simple, but the parts add up pretty quickly.
Painfully quickly.
Unread 06-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #697
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So I am down to the last few modifications on my list... new seats being one of them and a rear Antirock being the other. The seats I can do myself, the Antirock is another story so today, we are updating the seats.

My 16 year old stock factory seats were no fun to ride in since they are pretty much non-supportive and the foam is disintegrating. I never really had a problem with these seats as they fit me pretty well but it finally got to the point where my back was hurting after sitting in them for a few hours at a time.

Of course since I am a fanboy, I worked with Savvy and Gerald made me a smoking deal on a set of Daily Drivers from PRP. We included the necessary brackets and also a matching seat cover for the fold and tumble rear seat. What I liked in working with PRP is the fact that there are quite a few options available for trim and fabric so I was able to get the color match I wanted. What I didn't like was the trouble I had with the brackets... the brackets were not shipped with the original order for some reason even though they were on the invoice. PRP quickly tried to make it right by overnighting me a bracket set but then that set came incomplete. Third time was the charm and I finally had everything I needed for a complete install.

The process for swapping out the seats is relatively uneventful... remove the nuts off the 4 seat studs.... I used a 13mm ratcheting box wrench... eliminate the fold and tumble cables, install the adapter brackets back onto the existing seat studs by reusing the 4 nuts, and then finally bolting the seats to the new adapter brackets with the supplied 9/16ths hardware.

The interesting thing was the difference between the 2 fold and tumble mechanisms on the driver and passenger sides. If Jeep used the same mechanism on the passenger side as they did on the driver side, most people would not have to deal with the cable assembly crapping out on them. The driver mechanism is more robust, uses a spring and is easily removed with an e-clip. PRP does not make a provision for the cable but I cleaned and lubed the mechanisms and the sliders so all it takes is to reach under the seat and hit the release lever.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the result and having my legs supported again should help on long days in the seats.
seat1.jpg   seat2.jpg   seat3.jpg   seat4.jpg   seat5.jpg  

Unread 06-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #698
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Those look great, I like the tweed...
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2014, 12:11 PM   #699
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2014, 12:15 PM   #700
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I run the teraflex rear sway bar and really like it. Super easy install too.

cut a few notches, weld in a few tabs and you're done...
Unread 06-16-2014, 12:20 PM   #701
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Interesting comments on stock seat differences. When I switched mine the fold and tumble mechanism seemed the same on both sides. Perhaps it's different in different years or maybe DC had multiple seat suppliers that had slight differences and they used each day on the line whatever they randomly had in inventory.
Unread 06-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #702
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Interesting comments on stock seat differences. When I switched mine the fold and tumble mechanism seemed the same on both sides. Perhaps it's different in different years or maybe DC had multiple seat suppliers that had slight differences and they used each day on the line whatever they randomly had in inventory.
I've been in some TJ's where the driver side does not fold and tumble so who knows what Jeep was up to. My passenger side had the broken cable issue but the drivers was fine.
Unread 06-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #703
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
I run the teraflex rear sway bar and really like it. Super easy install too.

cut a few notches, weld in a few tabs and you're done...
I won't ever install anything Teraflex ever again. BTDT
Unread 06-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #704
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good, I run the same seats with Cordura centers and like them a lot. The side bolsters make entering and exiting the Jeep a little tougher but the extra support is well worth it.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #705
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates View Post
I won't ever install anything Teraflex ever again. BTDT
I originally ordered an anti rock but they were on backorder and couldn't give me a delivery date. And no rear sway bar sucked.

This one was in stock. So it won. So far so good.

And no idea what btdt means.

Tags
control arms , currie , custom , fabrication , long arms , mod , modification , savvy , short arms , suspension , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.