Goodbye Long Arms... hello short arms - Page 44 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Goodbye Long Arms... hello short arms

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 11-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #646
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcoplin View Post
1480 u-joints.

Mine has all that other crap. I still cringe when I put my tire against a vertical and press the throttle...
Trust me, the cringing doesn't stop with 1480's. I have them and still cringe every time I put a front tire on a vertical and force it to climb.

Unread 11-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #647
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
What do you do when your rear shocks need to be fixed? Get a magic tape measure and I just happen to own one.

Just in case you suck at dimensional math.

Installed in the rear application on Robert's rig they show just a smidge or two more than 6" of up-travel at ride height.

It was done that way to save the modification of the previously installed Poly outboard shock kit. This made it a direct bolt in.
This may help-

http://www.offroadshocks.com/product...FUlyQgod0T0Asg

Note the fully extended dimension.
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #648
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This may help-

http://www.offroadshocks.com/product...FUlyQgod0T0Asg

Note the fully extended dimension.
I get it now. Wayne shortened the can (and obviously the innards) somehow and then you didn't have to move shock mounts. Little slow on my part as to what I was seeing. Should have been more on the ball as those are the exact shocks I have in the rear.
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #649
msully
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What do you do when your rear shocks need to be fixed? Get a magic tape measure and I just happen to own one.

Just in case you suck at dimensional math.

Installed in the rear application on Robert's rig they show just a smidge or two more than 6" of up-travel at ride height.

It was done that way to save the modification of the previously installed Poly outboard shock kit. This made it a direct bolt in.
Blaine. Will these work on my rig in the rear?
msully is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #650
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
I get it now. Wayne shortened the can (and obviously the innards) somehow and then you didn't have to move shock mounts. Little slow on my part as to what I was seeing. Should have been more on the ball as those are the exact shocks I have in the rear.
Yep, the 12" travel shocks have an internal spacer that Wayne removes for me to get 13" of travel out of the 12's. If you shorten the body by an inch, shorten the shaft by an inch and then delete the spacer you wind up with a 12" travel shock that is shorter overall.

Took me a few minutes of head scratching to get that all straight in my mind, but once done, it seems obvious and unless you are really paying attention, you can't tell what was done.
Unread 11-25-2013, 01:14 AM   #651
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Glad you like the way it turned out, Robert.

BTW: I have something for you. PM or text me your address & I'll get it to you.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #652
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thank Joe.... Please give it to Blaine as we talked on the phone. Thanx
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #653
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The Jeep has been considered "done" for several months now but I don't get out much these days for a variety of reasons. I did however finally get a chance recently and headed out to JV and ran some go fast stuff around Fissure Mountain and over to Giant Rock.

Lets just say that I don't think my Jeep has been this dialed in since it was delivered stock from the factory. I was able to hold a GPS verified 57MPH on the Boone Road access to the dry lake bed and achieved similar results once out on the trail. The Wayne/Blaine tune on the Fox Shocks is incredible off road, the mid arm works to perfection and is completely stable at speed with the 4" of lift and the PSC steering delivers no bump steer and a ton of power with good on center feel.

So to recap the build over a period of several years we have the following:

R&R Alumiflex long arm suspension with a 3link panhard bar 26" arm front, 4 link 26" arm rear, front shock eye conversion, Poly Perf rear shock outboard kit, 4" Currie springs.

R&R HP30 with non-bent sleeved and trussed HP30, Currie/Savvy steering with PSC extreme duty pump, box, cooler and ram. Tie rod flip, swaybar bracket relocation and knuckle reinforcement.

Install Genrite raised body mount brackets to remove body lift.

Install Savvy tub armor, front bumper, front bumper corner reinforcements.

Install new transmission crossmember and 3/8" AL flat belly skid. Re-purpose existing AL engine skid to match.

Install Exogate tire carrier.

This is all a very generic overview of the work done by Blaine and it doesn't even go into all of the small detail work that defines a completed build. I like that this Jeep still looks like a stock Jeep.... one would have to look very close or know what they are looking at in order to see all of the detail work that defines improved clearances and tweeks necessary to improve off-road performance.

I pitched in a new set of 35" MTR Kevlars and went and got myself what I consider one of the nicest tops on the market.... a Bestop Twill Replace-A-Top which I installed over factory hardware.

Much to my wife's dismay, I still have 2 modifications left.... a rear Antirock and new front seats but at this point, the Jeep rides and drives very well. A couple of pix as to what its looking like these days as well as a picture of my supposed POS stock flex header which was supposed to be blown up by now according to my pal Knucklehead
front-3-4-view.jpg   front-shock-upper.jpg   pass-side-front.jpg   rear-shock.jpg   3-4-view.jpg  

chuckles.jpg  
Unread 01-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #654
Dave02TJ
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, that is one good looking, well equipped rig. Shiny too.
Nice POS flex header. Matter of fact, that's one helluva driveway you have...I think i'm jealous.
Dave02TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #655
357transam
There's a better way....

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Subbed to read later.
357transam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 02:12 PM   #656
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave02TJ View Post
Wow, that is one good looking, well equipped rig. Shiny too.
Nice POS flex header. Matter of fact, that's one helluva driveway you have...I think i'm jealous.
LOL... stamped concrete is nice... when its not all cracked to he!! and back. Damn tree roots
Unread 01-13-2014, 02:33 PM   #657
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Really clean work. Came out really nice
_KONG_ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 02:38 PM   #658
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanx... Blaine is a master for sure.
Unread 01-13-2014, 05:45 PM   #659
sduncan
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Robert,

Very nice rig. I glanced through the thread but couldn't find what you did in the rear. Is it triangulated? If not, how's the TB mounted at the frame?

Thanks!!
'98 TJ, 5.7 HEMI, 545RFE, G2 33 spl. D44, HP D30,ARBs,4.10s, RE 4.5 LA,Savvy 1.25 BL,35in MTRs w/Pro Comp 15x10 alloys, Warn 9.5 cti w/Amsteel rope, Gen Rite G3 Alumium front fenders and rear flares, Premier Power welder 195 amp,Savvy Rockers,Prothane bumps,LED tail lites, Rampage top
Link to my Hemi build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/so...rsion-1277803/
YouTube video..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaDRq...&feature=g-upl
sduncan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #660
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduncan View Post
Robert,

Very nice rig. I glanced through the thread but couldn't find what you did in the rear. Is it triangulated? If not, how's the TB mounted at the frame?

Thanks!!
Thanx. Rear 44 is trussed and 4 linked...no panhard bar. Blaine repurposed the 7075 AL 2" arms by cutting them down to achieve a 26" arm and used the large shank forged JJ's at each end on new brackets. The uppers are on hiems for room at uptravel and they still kiss the bottom of the tub.

Tags
control arms , currie , custom , fabrication , long arms , mod , modification , savvy , short arms , suspension , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.