Goodbye Long Arms... hello short arms - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Goodbye Long Arms... hello short arms

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-27-2010, 10:42 AM   #46
Peterpsc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Maybe, maybe not. I'm not posting any more updates or pictures until someone tells me about radius rod front suspensions.
Told ya I'd enjoy it.

Peterpsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #47
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

All this suspension talk is way over my head. I need to see more pictures to at least start understanding it. I might have an idea of what you're talking about, but I doubt it.
Unread 07-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #48
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
on that ford roadster example, i could see lots of torsional effects since the upper and lower mounts want to change planes under flex with the radii the axle housing travels in (with respect to each other - three mounting points wouldn't remain in the same plane).
That's correct and in this instance, the installation of the JJ conversion kit in the upper control arm mounts at the axle resulted in serious bind which started taking their toll on the arm brackets that attached to the upper JJ's on the axle.

Enough so that Robert started breaking them.

Quote:
i could see how it would work on a roadster where the I-beam doesn't have a lot of travel, but the torsion of off-road suspension would place lots of stress on the union between the two arms and the axle mounts.

How close was that?
Actually the stress is present throughout the whole triangle and it only manifests itself at the weakest point. In this case, the weak point turned out to be the adjustable ends for the uppers at the axle end.
Unread 07-27-2010, 11:23 AM   #49
breckboarder55
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates View Post
Google me.... I either own a NASCAR team or I'm a serial killer LOL
I had googled your name before posting... I'm not a NASCAR fan, so you must be a serial killer. errrrrr wait
87 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II-Built.
87 Mazda RX-7 SE-Burn Victim
01 Honda S2000DD
breckboarder55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #50
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes, radius rod, not wristed radius arm, which by the way, the article fairly well screwed the pooch on their reasons to install one.

This about the only part they got right but its not a positive. It occured for the wrong reason as it was installed on my TJ:

"Radius arms have the added benefit of keeping the wheels from moving toward the center of the vehicle during droop and being self-canceling for torque..."
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 12:10 PM   #51
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

i think leaf sprung vehicles that have the shackled mounted on the inside like MORE's shackle reversal is about the only suspension that doesnt let the wheel travel inward shortening wheelbase in the process. I guess is you mounted the control arms at the front of the frame, in front of the axle you would get the same effect, a longer wheelbase when drooping.

Blaine, i thought you didnt like RH/LH threads control arms? You going to machine the control arm with a slit and clamp to keep it from loosening?

Want to STOP?

Edited
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #52
homeboy1991
2005 TJ Wrangler 

This is going to be a good build.
homeboy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #53
kellerumps
See Ya Coach.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleII View Post
All this suspension talk is way over my head. I need to see more pictures to at least start understanding it. I might have an idea of what you're talking about, but I doubt it.
Agreed......

Member of: IndyOrv
kellerumps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 03:13 PM   #54
Jetscuh
O rly?

I might just be odd, but the first time I even saw a radius rod style suspension I was thinking 'Why in the hell would I want that (on my lifted TJ)?'

I understand their purpose and design and they may have a place in this world but not on my TJ.
Jetscuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 04:51 PM   #55
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
Blaine, i thought you didnt like RH/LH threads control arms? You going to machine the control arm with a slit and clamp to keep it from loosening?
I don't like them, but this build is a very good compromise between budget and performance. We have a budget we are trying to stick with and the more parts we have that can possibly be reused, the better it will be.

He also needs some spares and we may have worked out a plan that gives him spares and satisfies my anti-RH/LH stance.
Unread 07-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #56
viperbluelx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I always thought a 4-link required 4 control arms?
Unread 07-27-2010, 05:24 PM   #57
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperbluelx View Post
I always thought a 4-link required 4 control arms?
well...a "4-link" is more like a 5-link if you count the track bar. and 3-link (two lowers, one upper) still requires a track bar...so its more like a 4-link but to confuse you more, theres triangulated 4-links...which don't require track bars
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #58
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't like them, but this build is a very good compromise between budget and performance. We have a budget we are trying to stick with and the more parts we have that can possibly be reused, the better it will be.

He also needs some spares and we may have worked out a plan that gives him spares and satisfies my anti-RH/LH stance.
Building onwhat Blaine said.... the idea is to re-use parts of the lift that are worth reusing so that I could afford upgrades for additional clearance, strength and some of the new Savvy gear. Granted, it doesn't account for much in the scheme of things but the aluminum lower arms are worth saving as they are plenty strong enough for what I plan on doing with this Jeep. We are looking at cutting them down and rethreading them to accomodate the Johnny Joints. The front upper will be the same size as the lowers so it makes sense for us to think about using the aluminum rear lowers up front and crafting new rear lowers which will leave me with a spare up front either for a lower or an upper. We think we have a nice solution for the rears but that will depend on material availability. Going this route, Blaine will get his preference on the RH/LH joint issue I believe

As a side note, I will have some decent gear available for sale but I'll wait until I have complete list of what is not used and deemed worth selling before I post it up.

Last edited by Robert J. yates; 07-27-2010 at 06:13 PM..
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 06:25 PM   #59
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

got to see this.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 09:38 PM   #60
justanotherjpr

Cool!!
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
control arms , currie , custom , fabrication , long arms , mod , modification , savvy , short arms , suspension , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.