Goodbye Long Arms... hello short arms - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Goodbye Long Arms... hello short arms

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 07-27-2010, 09:47 AM   #31
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpsc View Post
I'll enjoy this thread.
Maybe, maybe not. I'm not posting any more updates or pictures until someone tells me about radius rod front suspensions.

Unread 07-27-2010, 09:57 AM   #32
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

LOL Blaine..... I guess the title was not enough on it's own to incite some difference of opinion.

As for the tank.... Some of you should cruise the for sale boards more often. I gave someone a smoking deal on it to get it out of my hair.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #33
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

From my limited research, radius rod suspensions are similar to radius arm setups but don't rely on such a large bind factor at the wrist. There is one link mounting point on the frame and two on the axle (upper and lower).

That's all I know. I could go into the why's but I'm not sure I'd be right. As to why it would be a good thing on a tall TJ......uuuhhh, it allows for a flatter link angle? That's assuming it's a GOOD thing. From my research with radius arms, it's not.

Last edited by Imped; 07-27-2010 at 10:16 AM..
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #34
RikatyJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Maybe, maybe not. I'm not posting any more updates or pictures until someone tells me about radius rod front suspensions.
There is no upper mount to the frame, so they would unload horribly on any kind of incline, and a lifted TJ, with its center of gravity higher than most, it would make the problem worse... Those were just my findings

-Dylan
RikatyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #35
Deacon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by breckboarder55 View Post
Why does the name Robert Yates sound so familiar?
Brock Yates was the Editor of Car & Driver for a long time and was a pit reporter for CBS back in the Dale Sr. heydays of the '80s. Maybe Robert is related?
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #36
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Am I understanding correctly that its part "swaybar" - part "trac-bar"? In this case, would it be used for further stability on your TJ?

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #37
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikatyJeep View Post
There is no upper mount to the frame, so they would unload horribly on any kind of incline, and a lifted TJ, with its center of gravity higher than most, it would make the problem worse... Those were just my findings
Not only does it unload pretty badly, but they are very difficult to adjust given that the front axle on a TJ has mild triangulation between the upper and lower arms.

A radius rod in it's pure form has no ability to change the angle at the chassis pivot, so as you adjust caster or wheelbase slightly, the links have to be distorted to line up with the mounts.
Unread 07-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #38
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer View Post
Am I understanding correctly that its part "swaybar" - part "trac-bar"? In this case, would it be used for further stability on your TJ?
No, go to the link and arrow down to the front radius rod section to give an idea of what it mostly looks like and the concept.

Zig's Street Rod - Suspension - Front Components
Unread 07-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #39
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Here's your challenge for the day. Learn what radius rod suspension is and why it would or would not be a good thing on the front of an over height TJ.
why do I get picked on today

I'm assuming you're refering to radius arm suspension, like some aftermarket's like to run, or the old F150/Broncos.

Well, on a tall TJ, I would expect weird pinion/caster changes during flex & suspension travel since the housing remains fixed. so instead of the pinion moving with the two unequal radii, you'd get one radius. i suspect that would lead to rather interesting dive/anti-dive properties in the front end...making uphill climbing on rocks result in major unloading without a suckdown winch.

how close am I?

EDIT: ***aww you already answered as I was typing***
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #40
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well damn. I put way too much thought into something once again. I already knew the answer.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #41
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
why do I get picked on today

I'm assuming you're refering to radius arm suspension, like some aftermarket's like to run, or the old F150/Broncos.

Well, on a tall TJ, I would expect weird pinion/caster changes during flex & suspension travel since the housing remains fixed. so instead of the pinion moving with the two unequal radii, you'd get one radii. i suspect that would lead to rather interesting dive/anti-dive properties in the front end...making uphill climbing on rocks result in major unloading without a suckdown winch.

how close am I?
Go to the link I posted and get a clarified view of what we're dealing with. It's an adjustable radius rod, not radius arm. Only make the links adjustable at both ends and now you have a triangle that has offset planes.
Unread 07-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #42
RikatyJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not only does it unload pretty badly, but they are very difficult to adjust given that the front axle on a TJ has mild triangulation between the upper and lower arms.

A radius rod in it's pure form has no ability to change the angle at the chassis pivot, so as you adjust caster or wheelbase slightly, the links have to be distorted to line up with the mounts.
Four Wheeler did an install on an 07 JK, and they seem to like it, maybe this is different that what you're talking about. Maybe with a longer wheel based JK it may not be so bad.

2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Suspension - Four Wheeler Magazine

**EDIT** Wrong type, more of a radius arm like Unlimited04 was talking about
RikatyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 10:32 AM   #43
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Go to the link I posted and get a clarified view of what we're dealing with. It's an adjustable radius rod, not radius arm. Only make the links adjustable at both ends and now you have a triangle that has offset planes.
ohhh i think i see now...two arms of near equal length that are fixed to each other at one end, which mounts to the frame, and two adjustable ends at the axle? vs the radius arm, which has one long arm and one short arm, with the short arm mounted to the axle and center of the long arm...or i guess a "wristed" radius arm?
Unread 07-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #44
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
ohhh i think i see now...two arms of near equal length that are fixed to each other at one end, which mounts to the frame, and two adjustable ends at the axle? vs the radius arm, which has one long arm and one short arm, with the short arm mounted to the axle and center of the long arm...or i guess a "wristed" radius arm?

Yes, radius rod, not wristed radius arm, which by the way, the article fairly well screwed the pooch on their reasons to install one.
Unread 07-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #45
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes, radius rod, not wristed radius arm, which by the way, the article fairly well screwed the pooch on their reasons to install one.
on that ford roadster example, i could see lots of torsional effects since the upper and lower mounts want to change planes under flex with the radii the axle housing travels in (with respect to each other - three mounting points wouldn't remain in the same plane). i could see how it would work on a roadster where the I-beam doesn't have a lot of travel, but the torsion of off-road suspension would place lots of stress on the union between the two arms and the axle mounts.

How close was that?

Tags
control arms , currie , custom , fabrication , long arms , mod , modification , savvy , short arms , suspension , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.