Goodbye Long Arms... hello short arms - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Goodbye Long Arms... hello short arms

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-06-2010, 08:35 PM   #241
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Bruce, you need to do us both a huge favor and give me and any thread I'm involved in a very wide berth. Due to your exhibition of middle school chest thumping and backdoor tactics to get me banned elsewhere, I'm fairly astounded that you even have the audacity to post in one of my threads.
I feel lost...

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #242
MFortie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you have a way to show me where those specs from AEV are and how they did it, I would appreciate it. I've never heard of or seen the stock axle side mounts re-drilled before or the weld washers done they way we did it.
Blaine, Mark here (I picked up Robert's old tank last week) -- AEV has a 'template' that is bolted to the mount and provides a reference point to re-drill. I have an extra kit from my install; PM me your street number and zip (I remember the street name) and I'll send you the extra to 'play' with. Don't need it back so do with it what you want.
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 09:37 PM   #243
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFortie View Post
Blaine, Mark here (I picked up Robert's old tank last week) -- AEV has a 'template' that is bolted to the mount and provides a reference point to re-drill. I have an extra kit from my install; PM me your street number and zip (I remember the street name) and I'll send you the extra to 'play' with. Don't need it back so do with it what you want.
Thanks Mark, is it for the axle side?
Unread 08-06-2010, 11:47 PM   #244
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure if this helps you, mrblaine, but I figured it couldn't hurt to post it.

Jay
rubibluejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 01:42 AM   #245
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubibluejay View Post
I'm not sure if this helps you, mrblaine, but I figured it couldn't hurt to post it.

Jay
Very nice, thanks.
Unread 08-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #246
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you have a way to show me where those specs from AEV are and how they did it, I would appreciate it. I've never heard of or seen the stock axle side mounts re-drilled before or the weld washers done they way we did it.
I think they might have removed them from their site, but you can still find reference to it via the installation instructions of their stinger. I think it's redrilled around 1.25" from stock, they sell a template for marking where to drill. Except they take it a step further and redrill the frame mount the same distance lower.

They only have drilling in their instructions. None of the washer or cutting stuff. Does redrilling like this take away too much separation? What's the downside?
Unread 08-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #247
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Double post. Sorry
Unread 08-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #248
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm excited for you Robert, this is turning out great. Maybe if I'm a good boy and the wife gives me a pass I can be out at JV when you take it out there for the first time.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 12:37 PM   #249
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4race View Post

They only have drilling in their instructions. None of the washer or cutting stuff. Does redrilling like this take away too much separation? What's the downside?
I'm not sure of any downsides for us because we're re-doing the front end of the arms as well.

The downside for a stocker would be a concern over the upper frame side mounts and the extra stress the less separation might cause IF you leave the uppers alone.
Unread 08-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #250
MFortie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks Mark, is it for the axle side?
Yup, axle side. As shown in the pics after my original post.

Mark
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 09:12 AM   #251
jeepman464

so how is the project/jeep going?
jeepman464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 09:21 AM   #252
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The downside for a stocker would be a concern over the upper frame side mounts and the extra stress the less separation might cause IF you leave the uppers alone.
I thought Nth degree did something with the uppers...new raised mounts I believe. i think the drivers side was some track bar contraption that mounted to the diff for support.

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #253
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman464 View Post
so how is the project/jeep going?
It's going fairly well. We will be cutting in the rear shock mounts today and removing the other versions I installed many years ago.

The triangulated 4 link is now working and the axle is swinging. It took some time because the clearances on a stock wheelbase rig are very tight and it makes the placement of everything very tedious.

The challenge is to get some vertical separation at the front and with an effective length of around 27-28", the uppers wind up right against the bottom of the tub at full stuff on the Currie bumpstops.

The rest of the difficulties lie in re-using the TXT truss because where I would have preferred to put the pivot bolts was right about where the base plate across the top of the diff wound up being, so I had to compromise.

To lower that end of the arm slightly, I mounted the bolts vertically by just drilling that base plate and then making a single tab over the top of both rod ends to pick up double shear.
Unread 08-11-2010, 06:33 PM   #254
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

i cant wait to see pics of the rear arms and their mounts, How much vertical seperation did you end up with at the frame?
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #255
snowrydr01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
i cant wait to see pics of the rear arms and their mounts, How much vertical separation did you end up with at the frame?

X2 cant wait to see what the frame side mounts look like and where they are placed

hopefully they arent as blurry as the picture of the frame side upper in the front.............
snowrydr01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
control arms , currie , custom , fabrication , long arms , mod , modification , savvy , short arms , suspension , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.