Goodbye Long Arms... hello short arms - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Goodbye Long Arms... hello short arms

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-04-2010, 11:58 PM   #226
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
arent they just redrilled up higher? Looks like good start though
Yes, JUST redrilled up higher. Try it sometime and get back to me without pulling the axles.

But, they are at the exact bolt height I would have made custom tabs for and all I have to do to finish these off is put a small plate across the bottom to tie the sides of the stock brackets back into the tube. The weld washers are 3/16's and fully welded for both ends of the bolt.

Unread 08-05-2010, 12:28 AM   #227
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Yes, JUST redrilled up higher. Try it sometime and get back to me without pulling the axles.

But, they are at the exact bolt height I would have made custom tabs for and all I have to do to finish these off is put a small plate across the bottom to tie the sides of the stock brackets back into the tube. The weld washers are 3/16's and fully welded for both ends of the bolt.
90 deg drill?

Im a machinist, so id go about it the hard way and pull the axles.

BTW Blaine, you never got back with me on the superwinch/warn plug thing.

Want to STOP?

Edited
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #228
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
arent they just redrilled up higher? Looks like good start though

Blaine pretty much said it all but comments like that crack me up. I was there while he and Chris were getting both sides done and while I have a pretty well stocked garage myself, I would by no means think this was a piece of cake.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 10:07 AM   #229
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Robert, I like to poke at Blaine, just as he likes to poke at me.

I had enough fun mounting the rear trackbar relocator from currie to know that id have to take the axles out and probably the whole rearend out to redrill the control arm mounts. Im a big guy, not a contortionist, but at least my jeep is tall enough i can get on the creeper and roll under the jeep with room to work now.

What is the vertical seperation going to be on the axle now that the control arm mounts are moved?

on an unrelated note, I cant believe what currie wants for chromoly barrels! WOW

Want to STOP?

Edited
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 11:01 AM   #230
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What is the vertical seperation going to be on the axle now that the control arm mounts are moved?
That is actually the issue at hand... with the TXT truss it was around 11" at the axle...not good and that in concert with almost very little separation at the crossmember pretty much accounts for the reason why the long arm wanted to unload on climbs. When I was there yesterday one of the first things I said to Blaine was that the truss was too tall so moving the arms up on the existing mounts 1.25" has already helped. We also gained around 2" of clearance as we cleaned up the bottom of the existing mounts.

As for where we are going... we are shooting for around 8" so the next chore is trying to figure out where we can get the rear upper joints mounted on the truss. We have already confirmed that we can use the 7/8ths shank rod ends with the existing AL uppers so that is one less thing to have to fabricate which = less $$$.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 06:56 AM   #231
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates View Post
That is actually the issue at hand...
This makes so much more sense after figuring out the anti-squat problems and why they're showing up.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #232
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm interested in Redrilling the stock brackets. It sounds like on the axle side that's what you've done. I've seen it before in an aev installation manual. I know this is far from stock but any speculation on what effect this would have on stockish length adjustable arms and stock mounts?
Unread 08-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #233
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4race View Post
I'm interested in Redrilling the stock brackets. It sounds like on the axle side that's what you've done. I've seen it before in an aev installation manual. I know this is far from stock but any speculation on what effect this would have on stockish length adjustable arms and stock mounts?
If you move the lowers, you need to move the uppers to maintain separation. That is unless you're trying to change the handling characteristics.

I too like the way that was done. It's nice to know that's an option when trying to improve clearance.
Unread 08-06-2010, 05:56 PM   #234
DRIVESHAFT
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Long arms rule!!!!

LONG ARMS RULE!!!! except for hanging up on the occasional rock with the rear arms----LOL
DRIVESHAFT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 06:06 PM   #235
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVESHAFT View Post
LONG ARMS RULE!!!! except for hanging up on the occasional rock with the rear arms----LOL
maybe for you but im sure theres more than 500 short arms out there that will make you drool compared too most long arms

fla cracker head born and bred

build- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...hread-1065655/
johnny9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #236
nriver
2011 JK Wrangler 

was there ever a definition of a Long Arm?

Wondering if it would go something like this, for a TJ

Short arm, Arms within 2" of stock, arms mounted in stock locations
Mid Arms, Arms over 2" of stock, arms mounted to the frame
Long Arms, Arms well over stock length mounted to the belly pan

It is fun to watch everyone get up in arms over this

How about this for a definition

Mid Arms, Arms over 2" of stock, mounted to some place other than the stock location
Long Arms, bought in a kit, bolted on somewhere
Unread 08-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #237
DRIVESHAFT
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny9 View Post
maybe for you but im sure theres more than 500 short arms out there that will make you drool compared too most long arms
Why does your profile say your suspension sucks and your future mod is long arms? I don't care I just crack up when the SA vs. LA debate starts. My Jeep came with long arms and that's why I have them.
DRIVESHAFT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #238
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVESHAFT View Post
Why does your profile say your suspension sucks and your future mod is long arms? I don't care I just crack up when the SA vs. LA debate starts. My Jeep came with long arms and that's why I have them.
well since you mentioned it,i havent looked at the info in a long time lol..guess i should fix it since everything changes,and changed again as of today

fla cracker head born and bred

build- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...hread-1065655/

Last edited by johnny9; 08-06-2010 at 08:08 PM..
johnny9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #239
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4race View Post
If you have a way to show me where those specs from AEV are and how they did it, I would appreciate it. I've never heard of or seen the stock axle side mounts re-drilled before or the weld washers done they way we did it.
Unread 08-06-2010, 08:22 PM   #240
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nriver View Post
was there ever a definition of a Long Arm?

Wondering if it would go something like this, for a TJ

Mid Arms, Arms over 2" of stock, arms mounted to the frame
Long Arms, Arms well over stock length mounted to the belly pan

It is fun to watch everyone get up in arms over this

How about this for a definition

Mid Arms, Arms over 2" of stock, mounted to some place other than the stock location
Long Arms, bought in a kit, bolted on somewhere
Bruce, you need to do us both a huge favor and give me and any thread I'm involved in a very wide berth. Due to your exhibition of middle school chest thumping and backdoor tactics to get me banned elsewhere, I'm fairly astounded that you even have the audacity to post in one of my threads.

Tags
control arms , currie , custom , fabrication , long arms , mod , modification , savvy , short arms , suspension , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.