Goodbye Long Arms... hello short arms - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Goodbye Long Arms... hello short arms

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 08-03-2010, 10:18 PM   #211
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

I like to get my 1/16 wide norton cut-off wheels lodged in my work so i can put a new one on. I blew up 2 cutting off my towbar on my jeep to mount the savvy front bumper. Im usually not that hard on the cut-off wheels but there was some weird angle to contend with on that job.

What is budget looking like on the rear poly shock mounts and rotating spring cups? Did you decide on rod ends or JJ for the rear?

Does this jeep see much on road driving, are you concerned with rod ends on the street, feeling every little thing?

Want to STOP?

JEEP Co-op parts, DELRIN DOOR BUSHINGS, TRE inserts
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #212
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
I'm just messin with ya, I know plasma is not your cutting tool of choice.

1/8" with that much cutting, what brand disk are ya using?
In the whole job I doubt we've gone through more than two full discs. We use the Sait .045 cut off discs and they zip through some steel with very little wear on the disc. Now OTOH, if you try and horse them through the metal instead of letting the disc work, you can blow through one in one tab.
Unread 08-03-2010, 10:40 PM   #213
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
In the whole job I doubt we've gone through more than two full discs. We use the Sait .045 cut off discs and they zip through some steel with very little wear on the disc. Now OTOH, if you try and horse them through the metal instead of letting the disc work, you can blow through one in one tab.
I should have you show me how to use a cut off wheel then. I don't burn threw them that bad, but probably more then I should. I prefer using them to the torches..
Unread 08-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #214
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
I like to get my 1/16 wide norton cut-off wheels lodged in my work so i can put a new one on. I blew up 2 cutting off my towbar on my jeep to mount the savvy front bumper. Im usually not that hard on the cut-off wheels but there was some weird angle to contend with on that job.
Try the Sait .045's. They rock.

Quote:
What is budget looking like on the rear poly shock mounts and rotating spring cups? Did you decide on rod ends or JJ for the rear?
Don't know on the budget yet. I think we're still in good shape, but there's a few things under there that may need some relocation.

JJ's both ends of the lowers, rod ends both ends of the uppers and we'll see on the ride quality.

Quote:
Does this jeep see much on road driving, are you concerned with rod ends on the street, feeling every little thing?
I'm not sure how much he drives it on the street, but he'll pop in and let us know. No, I'm not concerned yet.
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:01 PM   #215
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post

We are OK on budget. The Poly outboard kit will go in and the upper perches will get done. The question is what will we do with the uppers and can they be re-used, the modification needed to re-use the TXT truss on the 44 and our ability to work around self inflicted issues like my custom exhaust, oil cooler and a few other odds and ends. We already have a plan for the lowers and that depends on sourcing the material. After tomorrow evening, we hope to have a pretty good game plan.

As for driving, the Jeep does see road use and will continue to do so. I've had heims on it before so I understand your point but I also think this time around, given the nuance in which we are making decisions, a good compliant ride on the So Cal freeways is not out of the question.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:57 PM   #216
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Sait makes good stuff, I have a bunch of Nortons that I got cheap that work ok but Sait is the best I have used.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #217
snowrydr01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

anxiously awaiting the rear link setup
snowrydr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #218
bty34
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Are the poly mounts preferred only when using large bodied shocks, or are they a better choice than the ford towers for all shocks?

I was planning on using a pair of Walker Evans shocks (which have a fairly small body) and there is quite a price difference in the two mounts.
bty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #219
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
Sait makes good stuff, I have a bunch of Nortons that I got cheap that work ok but Sait is the best I have used.
We've also been trying some discs from Pearl that have the red label. They don't cut worth a crap until you lean into them and then they get after it. The Sait cut awesome without leaning into them and if you do, they just go away faster without cutting faster.
Unread 08-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #220
bnine
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sure would be nice if someone would develope an alternate "off the shelf" option to that poly/genrite outboard kit.

Sure hurts everytime I ding someone 500 bucks for 75$ worth of mass produced brackets.
bnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 04:31 PM   #221
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnine View Post
Sure would be nice if someone would develope an alternate "off the shelf" option to that poly/genrite outboard kit.

Sure hurts everytime I ding someone 500 bucks for 75$ worth of mass produced brackets.
I thought the rear outboard kit is $200-250?

Email me for the fastest response: gman@savvyoffroad.com

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #222
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy View Post
I thought the rear outboard kit is $200-250?
He has to get it shipped all the way up to the great white north... that's what hurts
Unread 08-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #223
bandit455
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnine View Post

ford shock towers???
Eagle scout jeeper #10

my build thread
The Things We Make, Make Us
bandit455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #224
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

A little progress on the rear and an interesting very cost effective solution for gaining clearance as well as working towards a solution for the rear geometry. Thanx Blaine.
rear-lower.jpg  
Unread 08-04-2010, 11:28 PM   #225
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

arent they just redrilled up higher? Looks like good start though

Want to STOP?

JEEP Co-op parts, DELRIN DOOR BUSHINGS, TRE inserts

Last edited by lumpster; 08-04-2010 at 11:40 PM..
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
control arms , currie , custom , fabrication , long arms , mod , modification , savvy , short arms , suspension , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.