Goodbye Long Arms... hello short arms - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Goodbye Long Arms... hello short arms

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 08-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #196
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Is the notch ahead of the motor mount? Will it compromise the strength of the frame by basically putting a pivot point for the frame to buckle?

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #197
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy View Post
If I recall those are 11" travel shocks? Could be 12". So, with 5.5" of uptravel he should realize 5.5 to 6.5" of down. That is perfect! Getting to the trail is tough when you only have a few inches of uptravel. A common problem with COG rigs. 10 miles back to camp in the whoops makes for a long ride back.

Pretty close Gerald....they are 11.5" stroke Edelbrocks.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:42 AM   #198
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
Where did that bracket on the axle for the track bar come from? Is that part of the old suspension system or did you make it?
That bracket was part of the crossover steering kit I bought from Troy back in 2004.
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #199
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip View Post
The poly bushing delete on the trackbar looks nice. Troys poly bushing cost me an axle bracket.
That is one of the things that started the rebuild... I blew up the original trackbar bushing and luckily, I caught it before it took out that bracket. I substituted it with a Currie Johnny Joint and subsequently blew up both the upper arm axle brackets a couple of times. Scrounging parts was a PITA since Troys junk uses weird bracket and joint configuations. The stuff I was able to find had dimensional differences as well and I was not able to square the suspension to the frame at the end. Something had to go.
Unread 08-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #200
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer View Post
Is the notch ahead of the motor mount? Will it compromise the strength of the frame by basically putting a pivot point for the frame to buckle?
Yes it's in front of the motor mount. Yes it compromises the strength of the frame. The better question is does it matter? And the answer to that is not in my experience. I've notched many many frames for similar clearance issues and not one of them has ever had a problem as a result of doing do.
Unread 08-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #201
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Yes it's in front of the motor mount. Yes it compromises the strength of the frame. The better question is does it matter? And the answer to that is not in my experience. I've notched many many frames for similar clearance issues and not one of them has ever had a problem as a result of doing do.
Thats the answer I was looking for. Since its in front of the motor mount, that makes more sense; not as much weight up there to push down on the frame...

Progress is looking good, keep it up.

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #202
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

If notching the frame makes one nervous, one can always weld a doubler around the notch to reinforce the frame.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #203
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
If notching the frame makes one nervous, one can always weld a doubler around the notch to reinforce the frame.
You can also weld a chunk over the top of the notch that equals what's been removed and taper the ends down at a 45 angle to meet the top of the frame.
Unread 08-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #204
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You can also weld a chunk over the top of the notch that equals what's been removed and taper the ends down at a 45 angle to meet the top of the frame.

You are absolutely right on that one also, I thought of it but just left it alone.

So did you have to knock the cobweds off the plasma cutter to get some of them curved cuts or was a high speed rotary file involved?
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #205
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You are absolutely right on that one also, I thought of it but just left it alone.

So did you have to knock the cobweds off the plasma cutter to get some of them curved cuts or was a high speed rotary file involved?
Hole saw and a 4 1/2" grinder with a cut-off disc and a flap disc.

In fact, every single tab and mount you see that we made was made the same way, cut 'em out with a cut-off disc on the grinder and then hand finish sand them.
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #206
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I figured several cut-off disk were used, I just didn't think of the hole saw....anything but that **** plasma huh?

Looks good and functional.
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #207
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I figured several cut-off disk were used, I just didn't think of the hole saw....anything but that **** plasma huh?

Looks good and functional.
You bring your plasma or you're welcome to use either of the two sitting on the floor and we'll see who cuts faster and gets done sooner and whose work is cleaner.

I only keep them around because there's always that one little tiny thing I can't get to with the sawsall, die grinder, or cut off disc and that's the only thing that keeps them in the garage. They are most assuredly not my go to tool.

And no on the several discs. Less than 1/8" off of one.
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #208
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hole saw and a 4 1/2" grinder with a cut-off disc and a flap disc.

In fact, every single tab and mount you see that we made was made the same way, cut 'em out with a cut-off disc on the grinder and then hand finish sand them.
Guess I need to practice more
Unread 08-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #209
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You bring your plasma or you're welcome to use either of the two sitting on the floor and we'll see who cuts faster and gets done sooner and whose work is cleaner.

I only keep them around because there's always that one little tiny thing I can't get to with the sawsall, die grinder, or cut off disc and that's the only thing that keeps them in the garage. They are most assuredly not my go to tool.

Two!? I wish I had one.. But I am managing with my cut of wheels.. But for those long cuts a plasma would be nice. I'm not that great with a torch yet either..
Unread 08-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #210
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I'm just messin with ya, I know plasma is not your cutting tool of choice.

1/8" with that much cutting, what brand disk are ya using?

Tags
control arms , currie , custom , fabrication , long arms , mod , modification , savvy , short arms , suspension , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.