Goodbye Long Arms... hello short arms - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Goodbye Long Arms... hello short arms

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #181
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates View Post
Thanx Gerald.... I think the arm length will work out great and getting better clearance is going to help alot too. I want to take it out this fall to JV for sure.
The front end is just about done. The new lower shock mounts are finished mocked up and tacked in place and you wound up with 5.5" or slightly more in uptravel.

Both lower control arms have the platforms for the shock tabs done and welded on, and the only major things left are welding it all up, a bit of paint, pitman arm modification, and notching the frame for the draglink.

We should be tearing down the rear axle tomorrow afternoon.

Unread 08-02-2010, 03:03 PM   #182
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anymanusa View Post
in on this thread so I can learn how to tear off all my suspension and rebuild it with large sums of cash and sweat.
I think the sums of cash might surprise you. Robert will be out of this with near full custom suspension for about the price of an off the shelf long arm kit from any of the good manufacturers and probably less if you took it somewhere and had the kit installed.
Unread 08-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #183
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I think the sums of cash might surprise you.
Yah.. Large sums of cash and me aren't usually associated together

Thanx for the update Blaine. I'll be down in a day or 2.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 10:15 PM   #184
Phillip
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The new lower shock mounts are finished mocked up and tacked in place and you wound up with 5.5" or slightly more in uptravel.

Both lower control arms have the platforms for the shock tabs done and welded on,

And when can we expect pictures of this?

The poly bushing delete on the trackbar looks nice. Troys poly bushing cost me an axle bracket.
Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 10:19 PM   #185
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

This-

Makes this more palateable.

Lowered the shock mounts and converted them to bolt sleeves instead of bar pins to get some more uptravel.

Notch in the frame for the draglink to swing through when the driver's side is drooped and the passenger side is at full stuff.

Unread 08-02-2010, 10:42 PM   #186
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

is that notch in the frame only there for when the driver's side is drooped and the passenger side is at full stuff? does the drag link not come close to the frame when both sides are stuffed?

i like how you mounted the shock mounts. i think i have to steal that one from you.
also, i like the use of the CJ pitman arm too.
Unread 08-02-2010, 11:21 PM   #187
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer View Post
Fixed it for you.
goes without saying, been wrenching for decades, mechanic by trade, mech eng. by degree.

Quote:
Hey... great addition of knowledge to my thread. Thanx!
it's called a thread tag, and if you had some decent pics, maybe I could add some knowledge.

Glad you found the time to post that though. Says alot about your personality.
anymanusa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 11:22 PM   #188
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
is that notch in the frame only there for when the driver's side is drooped and the passenger side is at full stuff? does the drag link not come close to the frame when both sides are stuffed?
Nowhere near close when the axle is level at full stuff and on the bumps. What most miss when doing stuff like this is everything outside of the bumps rises above that height when the other side droops.

Quote:
i like how you mounted the shock mounts. i think i have to steal that one from you.
You're welcome to it, we've used that when needed for awhile.
Quote:
also, i like the use of the CJ pitman arm too.
You're close, that's Robert's stock TJ pitman that had been reamed already for a larger TRE, so we removed it, mashed it flat with a shop press and some encouragement from a largish blue flame can opener.
Unread 08-03-2010, 12:26 AM   #189
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
goes without saying, been wrenching for decades, mechanic by trade, mech eng. by degree.
Well well well.... looks like I have a self proclaimed e-genius trolling me. How's it feel to give yourself the thumbs-up smiley LOL. Thanx again for the contribution!
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 12:38 AM   #190
justanotherjpr

Quote:
Nowhere near close when the axle is level at full stuff and on the bumps. What most miss when doing stuff like this is everything outside of the bumps rises above that height when the other side droops.

You're welcome to it, we've used that when needed for awhile.

You're close, that's Robert's stock TJ pitman that had been reamed already for a larger TRE, so we removed it, mashed it flat with a shop press and some encouragement from a largish blue flame can opener.
I had no idea you could do that. As always, awesome work, Blaine.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 02:18 AM   #191
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well well well.... looks like I have a self proclaimed e-genius trolling me. How's it feel to give yourself the thumbs-up smiley LOL. Thanx again for the contribution!
where's the trolling taking place? Don't flatter yourself. I'm just keeping tabs on this thread, genius.
anymanusa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 05:51 AM   #192
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Hey... great addition of knowledge to my thread. Thanx!
Quote:
it's called a thread tag, and if you had some decent pics, maybe I could add some knowledge.

Glad you found the time to post that though. Says alot about your personality.
Quote:
Quote:
where's the trolling taking place? Don't flatter yourself. I'm just keeping tabs on this thread, genius.
Girls, thats enough hairpulling. nobody else here wants to see this get ugly.

any guesses(or do you already know) as to the amount of downtravel you will be getting from ride height to full droop?
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #193
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
Girls, thats enough hairpulling. nobody else here wants to see this get ugly.

any guesses(or do you already know) as to the amount of downtravel you will be getting from ride height to full droop?
If I recall those are 11" travel shocks? Could be 12". So, with 5.5" of uptravel he should realize 5.5 to 6.5" of down. That is perfect! Getting to the trail is tough when you only have a few inches of uptravel. A common problem with COG rigs. 10 miles back to camp in the whoops makes for a long ride back.

Email me for the fastest response: gman@savvyoffroad.com

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Unlimited Black Hole - The Ultimate LJ

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #194
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

im diggin the notch in the frame..great work

fla cracker head born and bred

build- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...hread-1065655/
johnny9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 10:58 AM   #195
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I really wanted to use a flat pitman arm to allow raising the frame side of my track bar, but with the RHD the nut on the drag link already kisses the drain on the radiator...

Looks awesome!

Where did that bracket on the axle for the track bar come from? Is that part of the old suspension system or did you make it?

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
control arms , currie , custom , fabrication , long arms , mod , modification , savvy , short arms , suspension , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.