Goodbye Long Arms... hello short arms - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Goodbye Long Arms... hello short arms

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-31-2010, 11:55 AM   #151
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny9 View Post
blaine ,would you feel as safe on the hwy with this as with a radius set up..or maybe safer?
Blaine is not the one who needs to feel safe.... that is my decision since its my rig. That being said, between the quality of Blaine's welding skills and the size of the material and joints we are using, I am not worried about it.

The question does beg some discussion tho as it implies the previous set up I had was safe which is not necessarily the case. The brackets had so much bind in them that they were breaking and at one point, I did have a 3 link up front after I snapped and upper off while off roading. The radius arm also had a propensity to unload on steep climbs which always made me nervous so yah, safe is relative.

Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 12:19 PM   #152
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Not to derail anything, but is there any way to prevent a front radius arm from unloading? Aside from replacing the arms lol?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 12:35 PM   #153
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennettj13 View Post
Not to derail anything, but is there any way to prevent a front radius arm from unloading? Aside from replacing the arms lol?
a 'suck-down' winch on the front axle
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 12:36 PM   #154
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanks robert,i just gonna stay on track w/the radius arms since the road ride is my main concern..and leave the brain work to the pros.and good question bennett..seems like ive seen limit straps in the center,or a suck down winch for that reason..not positive.

fla cracker head born and bred

build- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...hread-1065655/
johnny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 01:20 PM   #155
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates View Post
Blaine is not the one who needs to feel safe.... that is my decision since its my rig. That being said, between the quality of Blaine's welding skills and the size of the material and joints we are using, I am not worried about it.
While it may be your decision Robert, if I thought there was shred of inherent danger in the suspension design, it wouldn't leave my driveway.

Quote:
The question does beg some discussion tho as it implies the previous set up I had was safe which is not necessarily the case. The brackets had so much bind in them that they were breaking and at one point, I did have a 3 link up front after I snapped and upper off while off roading. The radius arm also had a propensity to unload on steep climbs which always made me nervous so yah, safe is relative.
Unread 07-31-2010, 01:24 PM   #156
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny9 View Post
blaine ,would you feel as safe on the hwy with this as with a radius set up..or maybe safer?
I don't make that distinction. It's either safe or it isn't. I don't build "safe on the trail" one way and "safe on the highway" another.

What most don't understand is our roads to the trails and the speeds we travel them at place far more stress on stuff than the highway ever will.
Unread 07-31-2010, 02:10 PM   #157
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
a 'suck-down' winch on the front axle
I'm aware of a suck-down winch, however I really don't feel like running my nice synthetic rope over my bumper, nor do I feel like trying to shove a small winch out of the way somewhere to do the task.

With limit straps at either end of my front axle, I don't see one in the center being too much of a help.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 03:27 PM   #158
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
While it may be your decision Robert, if I thought there was shred of inherent danger in the suspension design, it wouldn't leave my driveway.
That's why it's in your driveway and not mine.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 03:46 PM   #159
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I'm aware of a suck-down winch, however I really don't feel like running my nice synthetic rope over my bumper, nor do I feel like trying to shove a small winch out of the way somewhere to do the task.

With limit straps at either end of my front axle, I don't see one in the center being too much of a help.
Check out the way Blaine did it on the TJ featured in CRAWL mag. someone has a link for that thread. its pretty ingenious. or was it ingenuous, or igneous I don't know.
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 04:23 PM   #160
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
could be wrong but i dont see the straps at the axle helping either..they limit down travel so you dont drop your springs mostly. so if set up to articulate, when going up a steep climb seems it will still unload both sides till it reaches the limit straps end.witch could be a foot difference than ride hight..seems logical to me.could be scary it seems.
when sucked down with a winch you can release it and tighten it when you want,if set up to do that i suppose.
i will let ya know in a couple weeks after i hit my normal hills with radius arms installed

fla cracker head born and bred

build- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...hread-1065655/
johnny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 05:06 PM   #161
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I don't make that distinction. It's either safe or it isn't. I don't build "safe on the trail" one way and "safe on the highway" another.

What most don't understand is our roads to the trails and the speeds we travel them at place far more stress on stuff than the highway ever will.
If people could see how Jon's Jeep performs and how much stress he puts on it. They would understand, maybe.
Unread 07-31-2010, 05:50 PM   #162
ocTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

At the end of the day I Figure it takes far more than a physics class and a welder to design these suspensions. Understanding the force what direction the force is being applied how that will effect the weight and the center of gravity and how different angles of approach...I mean seriously has anyone sat down and listed out when you design your suspension you have to compensate for and list it out? short versus long height I think a lot of regular joes..Ok ME in the past took for granted what 50 years of off road experience Baja 1000 and other races have taught people in the fabrication industry. ok no more wasting space for tday

2002 Apex Jeep TJ Lifted, Locked, geared and ready for more
ocTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 08:02 PM   #163
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocTJ View Post
At the end of the day I Figure it takes far more than a physics class and a welder to design these suspensions.
You don't learn any of this in physics. There is almost nothing in physics that's actually the core of physics that has to do with suspension. Now dealing with electronics, that's different. But there are no physics equations, to my knowledge, that deal with suspension. If there was, I would understand what Blaine is talking about, but I don't.
Unread 07-31-2010, 10:01 PM   #164
Tim
1997 TJ Wrangler 

looking good you guys! i always enjoy watching something like this come together.

strong work!
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 10:08 PM   #165
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
looking good you guys! i always enjoy watching something like this come together.

strong work!
Thanks Tim, I spent about an hour out there this evening and solved the frame side trackbar issue in a fairly simple and clever fashion. I'll get a pic up tomorrow so the folks have something to snivel about.

The frame end was an RE style rod end with the single shear bolt up through the mount. That also kept it far enough back that the diff cover slammed into it before the Currie bumpstops touched. Afterwards, I took the lower 1" spacer Currie supplies out from under the urethane and was able to make the upper and lower contact each other quite nicely and turn the bolt horizontal in a double shear mount.

Tags
control arms , currie , custom , fabrication , long arms , mod , modification , savvy , short arms , suspension , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.