Goodbye Long Arms... hello short arms - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Goodbye Long Arms... hello short arms

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-30-2010, 08:37 PM   #136
jermeyg
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Those are just some scrap DOM 1.5" .120 wall tubing we are using for mock-up with some tube inserts we bought from PolyPerformance.

After it's dialed in, we'll cut the aluminum TBT arms down and get them threaded for the final arms in the front.
Ah that's a good idea, I was wondering why it was just tack welded in place. Looking forward to the continued build.

jermeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:12 PM   #137
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

A 3 link mid arm....cool
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:27 PM   #138
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

Blaine,

Are you going to align the TB and DL? On the truss are you tying it in to the front diff cover or does it matter?

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2006 LJ Unlimited Black Hole

2005 LJ Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:50 PM   #139
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

very nice work..so,this 3 link is less likely (or wont) unload on steep climbs like a radius arm setup..
my radius arm build this weekend is kinda on hold now,,thanks a lot

fla cracker head born and bred

build- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...hread-1065655/
johnny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 10:53 PM   #140
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy View Post
Blaine,

Are you going to align the TB and DL? On the truss are you tying it in to the front diff cover or does it matter?
The initial plan was 3 phases broken down as follows. Tune up the front suspension, tune up the rear and then see how it handles and make the decision to monkey with the steering.

After viewing the front and giving it a bit of evaluation, I suspected that after we got the bind out of the front, the steering's inherent issues would show up at which point we would re-do a few things and get it proper.

Upon cycling the front axle this morning, we discovered that later is now sooner and we'll need to lower the trackbar mount to clear the frame on the passenger side and then move it forward to clear the diff on the driver's side.

The truss will be left as is with a predetermined solution to be implemented later if it decides to move at all.
Unread 07-31-2010, 12:29 AM   #141
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The 3 link is just plain awesome. We have 8.5" of vertical separation between the upper and lower but all that non binding goodness took its toll on the TXT trackbar and in order to get full compression and uptravel, something will have to give and it won't be the diff or the frame. We could ignore it and bumpstop it so as to not to have to deal with it but I want it done right. We decided this morning after cycling the front end that we will take the trackbar at the frame mount, rotate it on its side and move it forward. We will then take the Johnny Joint I rigged into the axle side, remove it, drop the mount down and use a heim joint so as to provide clearance... you can see what we are dealing with in the second pic. This will also align the draglink to the trackbar. Most likely I will have some bumpsteer with the short trackbar but that will have to do for now.

Now... with respect to whoever complained about this not being a Savvy build... well you just weren't paying attention. I never said it would be. I am relying on Blaine's knowledge and skill in rectifying a number of issues I had with the TXT suspension while adding Savvy equipment where I can. The first thing to go was the Genrite 24 gallon tank with a stock tank with a new Savvy skid along with a 1.25" body lift taking its place. I gained a ton of clearance here and we are now set up for getting Savvy Underarmor into place once we get the suspension figured out.

As for the rest of the build.... well, we will progress as funds allow. The last pic clearly shows what I am dealing with... you can see that stupid long arm belly skid still holding up the rear end with the mocked up 3 link in place.

This work does not pop out of thin air...there is both skill and budget involved here. I had alot of crap that needed to be corrected and I trust Blaine implicitly in helping me get it done.
junk-178.jpg   junk-179.jpg   junk-180.jpg   junk-182.jpg   junk-183.jpg  

Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 06:47 AM   #142
snowrydr01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

How much vertical separation is on the frame side mounts? any more pictures from different angles?
snowrydr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 06:57 AM   #143
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrydr01 View Post
How much vertical separation is on the frame side mounts? any more pictures from different angles?
They are nearly parallel. There is 1.5 of caster change from full stuff to full droop.

Unread 07-31-2010, 07:21 AM   #144
snowrydr01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
They are nearly parallel. There is 1.5 of caster change from full stuff to full droop.
mg]
My bad, i meant more pictures of the upper control arm mount. With it that high im definitely interested of how you fit it and got your clean welds in around the brake lines
Unread 07-31-2010, 08:01 AM   #145
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

You aren't trusting Blaines trigger welds are you? Brave man.

Looks good bud. It will be interesting to see it all come together.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 08:22 AM   #146
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennettj13 View Post
If I do need to trigger weld something, you can rest assured that it will work just fine. But, for the sake of entertaining the non weldors, which one were you referring to? Based on the pics posted so far, you wouldn't know a trigger weld if it ran over you.

Quote:
What else does it need?
Unread 07-31-2010, 08:30 AM   #147
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
If I do need to trigger weld something, you can rest assured that it will work just fine. But, for the sake of entertaining the non weldors, which one were you referring to? Based on the pics posted so far, you wouldn't know a trigger weld if it ran over you.

What else does it need?
I think he was refering to you doing it in stages. So you tell us what else it needs! sounds like the rear end, and steering/front track bar to me.

you have to have the arms shortened and retapped, from the pics it looks like you need to finish weld and paint everything. Install coils, shocks, sway bar, front driveshaft and the Under Armor.

Looks great though, excellent work btw.
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 08:40 AM   #148
snowrydr01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennettj13 View Post

Certainly not. Im merely requesting a little better picture of the upper CA frameside mount. That is a tricky area as far as space, brake line routing. and weld angles go as apposed to a lower CA mount.

Nothing on Blaine, just more about my own curiosity
Unread 07-31-2010, 10:33 AM   #149
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What else does it need?
looks like its getting to the easy part! welding it. sure,maybe a lil cramped but whats been done is the hard part to most of us..thanks for sharing this with us normal guys

if i get a straight answer i may try this for the fun of it since i have all the joints and abitlity to make the rest..i need my brain work to stay afloat..not that it would be a fast thing for me.

blaine ,would you feel as safe on the hwy with this as with a radius set up..or maybe safer?

fla cracker head born and bred

build- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...hread-1065655/
johnny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 10:47 AM   #150
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

What else does it need?
You know I'm just busting balls.

And I wasn't saying it needed anything. I was saying I want to see it all done.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
control arms , currie , custom , fabrication , long arms , mod , modification , savvy , short arms , suspension , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.