Good Header For my 98 TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Good Header For my 98 TJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 11-21-2002, 07:38 PM   #1
Mr Ouija

Good Header For my 98 TJ

Can anyone recommend a good header for my 1998 TJ. I need something that won't involve cutting and welding, something that will bolt directly to my stock intermediate pipe. Is it a tough job? Will they sound good (esp w/ my dynomax cat-back system)? And finally, is the power-gain good? Thanks!!!

PROComp Stage II 4" Sus. Lift
PROComp Mud Terrain 33x12.5" x 15"
PROComp ES2000 Steering Stabilizer
A/R Outlaws 15x8x3.75" Backspacing
AA Slip-Yoke Elim. & Tom Wood D/Shaft
Mr Ouija is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2002, 08:10 PM   #2
jeepdan

I installed a borla header, and I love it. Sounds better and performs better. I did the installation and it was a little bit of work. If you are patient and take your time it can be done. Its about a 6-7 hour job. The hardest part is removing everything to get to the manifold (which is probably cracked) then putting it all back together. But it definately can be done, just take your time, you don't want to screw this one up.

Good Luck!!!
RE 2" BB w/ OME Shocks
Teraflex QD's
32x11.50x15 GY MTR's
Soft Bikini and Hard Spice,
Pioneer CD/MP3/WMA/XM
[URL=http://www.saharadan.com]saharadan.com[/URL]
jeepdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2002, 08:12 PM   #3
demtjcj

borla all the way

1977 full size cherokee-401 v8, quadratrac dana 44s

prev. jeeps: 98TJ on 33s, 00TJ on 35s, 01TJ on 35s, 78CJ on 31s, 85XJ stock, 94ZJ stock, 97 TJ on 35s, 03 on 35s, 93 GC on 33s
demtjcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2002, 10:04 AM   #4
gtflyer

Banks!..Better overall quality than the Borla header..(i.e thicker flange,better fit etc) and the price is about the same.
gtflyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2002, 08:38 PM   #5
rogncrys

I went with pace setter, cause it was the only I could find at the time for a 4 banger.
Unread 11-22-2002, 11:14 PM   #6
CETROV

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I went with pacesetter too. they tuck up out of the way in the front but I did have to modify the pipes to clear the control arms when you flex.
Unread 11-23-2002, 12:09 PM   #7
Phantom5oh

I went with the Borla, its a great header. Its made of stainless steel and fit like a glove. It was a little more money but I think well worth it!
Phantom5oh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2002, 07:48 AM   #8
duckblaster

i bought a pacesetter and don't like it. you have to use these cheap clamps to hold three pieces of pipe together and it doesn't really fit well. I would go with some other design.
duckblaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
Ron R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So whats the best one for the $$
Ron R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2008, 05:59 PM   #10
marko686
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I also believe if you go with Borla or Banks you get a lifetime warranty which is good because odds are you will replace it again WHEN it cracks. And the job is not to bad but time consuming.
marko686 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2008, 06:13 PM   #11
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

When you look at an aftermarket header or even a stock manifold its not IF it cracks, its WHEN it cracks. You have to ask yourself, "is a warrantee worth it?" Do you wanna replace it ever year or two? If I were to replace mine right now, I would buy one with flex tubing at each end. Now by no means is this a "header," its simply a tube manifold. Its your best bet for longevity and its cheaper. Headers on 4.0's normally dont do much for power or milage.
This is the flex manifold I am speaking of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2008, 07:33 PM   #12
fish4life
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidriver View Post
When you look at an aftermarket header or even a stock manifold its not IF it cracks, its WHEN it cracks. You have to ask yourself, "is a warrantee worth it?" Do you wanna replace it ever year or two? If I were to replace mine right now, I would buy one with flex tubing at each end. Now by no means is this a "header," its simply a tube manifold. Its your best bet for longevity and its cheaper. Headers on 4.0's normally dont do much for power or milage.
This is the flex manifold I am speaking of.
yeah that doesn't work....
The "flex tubes" are a gimmic. I bought one from a company that used to advertise on this board. I think they're called mid-Atlantic (www.carpartstoyourdoor.com) I had the header on for about a year and a half and it cracked. It cracked where cylinder #5 joins in.

They were good about it and honored the lifetime warranty and sent me a new one, provided i shipped back the broken one. All in all, i was out just for the shipping costs and my own labour to replace it.

But, they DO break. Hopefully my new one lasts longer then 1.5 years.
fish4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2008, 07:46 PM   #13
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4life View Post
yeah that doesn't work....
The "flex tubes" are a gimmic. I bought one from a company that used to advertise on this board. I think they're called mid-Atlantic (www.carpartstoyourdoor.com) I had the header on for about a year and a half and it cracked. It cracked where cylinder #5 joins in.

They were good about it and honored the lifetime warranty and sent me a new one, provided i shipped back the broken one. All in all, i was out just for the shipping costs and my own labour to replace it.

But, they DO break. Hopefully my new one lasts longer then 1.5 years.
Maybe you got a faulty one. Ive heard nothing but good things about these. It doesnt matter which header you get, Banks, Borla, Pasesetter, Doug Thorley, Edelbrock, etc, the simple fact is, it will crack.
It could also be the company you got it from, I know there are a few out there, just not sure which one is suppose to be the best one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2008, 07:56 PM   #14
fish4life
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidriver View Post
Maybe you got a faulty one. Ive heard nothing but good things about these. It doesnt matter which header you get, Banks, Borla, Pasesetter, Doug Thorley, Edelbrock, etc, the simple fact is, it will crack.
It could also be the company you got it from, I know there are a few out there, just not sure which one is suppose to be the best one.
If that's true and my last one was just a friday manifold, then hopefully that means my new one will last a while ... that would make me a happy man
fish4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2008, 08:00 PM   #15
A-P
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have thrown headers on all of my cars so far with the exception of my TJ because I just got it. I have NEVER had headers crack. Race modified 5.0, 03 Cobra, even my 66 Mustang that I have had for 7 years. The only way I can see headers cracking is if you repeatedly go swimming with your Jeep

Tags
header , replacement , exhaust , manifold , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.