good battery but wont turn over and start. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > good battery but wont turn over and start.

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-31-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
motoxracer801
2002 TJ Wrangler 

good battery but wont turn over and start.

Hey everyone,
Well yesterday I became the proud owner of a 02 wrangler sport. What im not to proud of is the fact that it wont start to let me show it off to the family and friends.

So heres the breakdown of it all. Just brought home a 02 wrangler sport with 116k miles, 4.0l, automatic (wish it was a standard) I drove the jeep yesterday for about 2 or three hours. I have test drove it twice before I bougt it from the stealership. All times it fired right up. Well I get it home and shut it off. I go inside for 10 minutes to ask my girlfriend if she wants to take a ride. We come out and it fires up and we takr it for a 10min spin. Then I parked it for the night. Well this morning I go to start it and everyrhing comes on like normal. I turn the key over and nothing. Makes a buzzing "dead battery" sound. Well I think no big deal ill just jump it. Nope. I tried jumping it with nothing happening. I connect the cables different ways thinking it was a bad connection but still nothing. I turn the head lights on and they were dim so I though id mess with it when I got home. I get back home and throw it on the quick charger for an hour and tried to start it again. Still the same outcome. Everything comes on nice and bright on the inside but not turning over on the starter. I tap the starter a few times and still nothing. Finally I say forget it. The battery must have went bad. I swap out the battery in my truck which I had just gotten home from work in. The battery still doesnt do it. The volt meter on the dash read 13 -14v but nothing. I could crank up the stereo, turn the now bright headlights on but the starter wont turn. I did however get the "click click click cllliiicckkkk" with the truck battery. Well I put the charger on the truck battery. It reads 100 percent. So I take that battery out. Here is the weird part. For some unknown reason I decided to connect the jumper cables from my truck battery that is now on a box by the jeep to the cables on the battery less jeep. I try it out and get a few lagged turn overs. Very weak "rum rumm ruumm tick tick tick tiiicckk" now I throw the battery back on connect the cables and still nothing. I guess I should add that the starter makes a faint "whine - hum" as it would start. Also the battery that was on it before doesnt seem to get a charge now that its died.

As you all can see im pretty stumped. Any advice or simular problems solved is greatly appreciated. Oh yes and Connections are clean that I can see. Thanks everyone.

motoxracer801 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
motoxracer801
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Update, I can actually start the jeep by jumping the positive side of the jeep to the starter solenoid. When I do that the jeep fires right up. I have to do that every time I shut it off.
Unread 08-01-2013, 12:28 AM   #3
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Start by pulling the starter relay & making a short jumper wire. Make sure the trans is in park & jump between the 30 & 87 terminals in the relay socket. If it still won’t crank or cranks over very slowly & the battery is good the wire from the 87 terminal to the starter solenoid is bad (high resistance) or less likely the wire from the fuse (6) to the relay terminal 30 could be the bad one. Probably corrosion at one end up inside the insulation.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 06:23 AM   #4
zackcj7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Could also be your battery cables. What condition are they in? Did you check all the connections and make sure they are clean and tight?
zackcj7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
motoxracer801
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I believe it was the cables. I replaced them and now everyrjig works just fine. Just weird how it happened over night. Thanks everyone!
Unread 08-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
wiseguy52
1998 TJ Wrangler 

mine did the samething to me twice. Although with mine, I just needed to clean the terminals and connections.
wiseguy52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
battery , not charging , start problems , starter solenoid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.