Going to start a build on my Rubicon Unlimited. Help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Going to start a build on my Rubicon Unlimited. Help?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 03-31-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
kakarak
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Going to start a build on my Rubicon Unlimited. Help?

I've had my 06 Rubicon Unlimited for about a year now, and so far I've kept it pretty stock. I'd like to get started with a lift and new tires, but I'd really like feedback on the direction I'm thinking of heading. I also have a handful of questions I live in eastern North Dakota (the flattest part of the country) but plan trips to the badlands in the western part of the state and go to MT regularly to visit family. I'd say 90% of the fun I'll have will be out in the mud around here and the lake country of MN, but that other 10% when I get to make a trip somewhere is pretty important to me. I'd like to be fairly capable on trails anywhere. The only time the Jeep sees the interstate is when I'm heading somewhere to use it (camping, lake country, etc.) but it is basically my daily driver in the winter. Hopefully that's enough background information, but let me know if I'm leaving something out. Also, here are some pics.

So- after reading up for a few days, I'm thinking of putting on the RE 3.5" SF. Northridge4x4 has it listed for a reasonable price and lots of people seem happy with them so I'm looking at this. There are options for OME shocks for ~$250, but I'm thinking that there may be something out there just as suitable for a bit cheaper? Also, I'd like recommendations on a SYE, CV drive shaft, and adjustable track bars. What would go well with this kit?

For tires, I'm looking at 33x10.5 Interco Swamper TSL radials. I have the stock wheels and tires, so I should be able to put the Swampers on the stock wheels just fine, right?

What am I missing? Does this setup make sense? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for any replies in advance!

kak

kakarak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
JSBlu974X4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

since you have a rubicon you dont need a SYE, youll only need the driveshaft
2005 Unlimited Rubicon Hard N Soft Tops, Clayton Long Arm on RE Coils, Warn Bumper/Tire Carrier, Warn Winch N Bumper, Currie Steering, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Front Trac Bar, Bilsteins, CO2 System..Yada Yada Yada
JSBlu974X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Don't need a SYE. Things look good, but do a lot of research and read up on a lot of builds first. And, if you're not already a member, join rubicon owners group. Consider your extra wheelbase....you need 35s man.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
kakarak
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
Don't need a SYE. Things look good, but do a lot of research and read up on a lot of builds first. And, if you're not already a member, join rubicon owners group. Consider your extra wheelbase....you need 35s man.
Could I run 35s with only 3.5" of lift?
Unread 03-31-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakarak View Post
Could I run 35s with only 3.5" of lift?
yes, its fairly common...just need the right length shocks and the right bumpstops.

heck if you don't mind extensive cutting, you can run 35s with no lift:
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
Gumbo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I love spending other people's money :-)

First, congrats on owning that LJ Rubi. For those of us who don't care for the new JK, your Jeep is as good as it gets.

IMO, I would stay with the RE 3.5 lift, add a 1.25" body lift (you will be glad later when you start looking at belly skids) and run 35x12.50 tires. You will need to add Spidertrax wheel spacers if you keep your factory wheels. You already have 4.5" Rubi flares (1" wider than most) and those will nearly cover the width of the tire.

Speaking of tires, I know you mentioned Swampers, but I couldn't wait to get rid of my Swamper SSR's fast enough. They were very hard to balance and one tire had separated to the point that it couldn't be balanced any longer. I loved them in mud, hated them on the road and driving in light snow. I replaced those Swampers with Micky Thompson MTZ's and couldn't be happier.

Since you already have lockers and Dana 44's, look at a better cage and a winch, upgrade your brakes and steering, and you are off to a great start.

Good luck!

'97 moss pearl green TJ, 4.0, 5-speed, 3" Teraflex coils +1.5" spacers, Super35 w/ Superior 30 spline shafts, ARB and ZJ disc brakes, Dana30 w/ ARB, 4:10s, AA SYE w/Teraflex shaft, BDS upper/lower control arms, Rusty's HD tie-rod, JKS quicker disco's, Poison Spyder steering box skid, Riddler diff covers, 35x12.50 MTZs on Eagle alloys, Warn M8000 winch, NoLimits4X4 stinger/rad hoop, SRC rockers, Bestop tire carrier, Raingler nets, yada yada...

It's a good life. My wife doesn't look under my Jeep and I don't count her shoe boxes...
Gumbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
IOUnlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

don't wast the money on the drive shaft. The extra length of an LJ gives you more to work with. I have an '05 LJ Rubicon on 4.5 RE SF with 35 KM2s. Been that way for 35K miles, no issues.
IOUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2009, 01:51 PM   #8
kakarak
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks!

Thanks for all the suggestions. This is my first time wrenching on a Jeep, or for that matter, doing any sort of lift- so I appreciate it.

It sounds like all I really need to get started is the lift kit, new shocks, and the adjustable track bars. I'm considering the suggestion to move up to 35s now, but I do want it to ride fairly well on roads. I wish I knew someone close by with an LJ and 35s...
Unread 03-31-2009, 06:33 PM   #9
Elwood
2006 LJ Wrangler 

For the RE lift, consider getting the SuperFlex 4.5 kit and substituting 3.5 inch springs. It is a more complete kit.

As for shocks, look at Bilstein 5100's. I have them and really like them.

Personally, if I owned a Rubicon LJ (many days I wish I did), I would do a 3.5 lift, 1 inch body with a tummy tuck and 35's. Of course, that means gearing and brake upgrades are in your very near future.

I am guessing there is some sort of budget involved (mine is my wife....), using the 3.5 lift and 33's is a great set up and pretty darn capable.

Check out rubicon owners forum. A very nice site and a lot of well versed rubicon folks over there and if I remember correctly, a few people from your neck of the woods.
Unread 03-31-2009, 08:39 PM   #10
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Read my build...I'll be running 35s. Ask if you have any questions....but you're lucky to have that extra length so you won't be running into as many driveline issues. But, your belly is more at risk, so you may want to incorporate a tummy tuck into things.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2009, 10:32 PM   #11
kakarak
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
For the RE lift, consider getting the SuperFlex 4.5 kit and substituting 3.5 inch springs. It is a more complete kit.

As for shocks, look at Bilstein 5100's. I have them and really like them.

Personally, if I owned a Rubicon LJ (many days I wish I did), I would do a 3.5 lift, 1 inch body with a tummy tuck and 35's. Of course, that means gearing and brake upgrades are in your very near future.

I am guessing there is some sort of budget involved (mine is my wife....), using the 3.5 lift and 33's is a great set up and pretty darn capable.

Check out rubicon owners forum. A very nice site and a lot of well versed rubicon folks over there and if I remember correctly, a few people from your neck of the woods.
I think you're right, and I'm going to re-prioritize my list / order of doing things.

1. First up, I think I'll go with this. The Rokmen armor package 3, which includes a BL and MML. I've read through some builds and other LJ owners who think it's a fairly complete armor setup. I think I'll also look for diff armor. Agree/disagree?

2. RE 4.5" lift with the 3.5" springs. I found a place that includes RE mono-tubes, so I think I'll go with that for shocks.

3. 33x10.5s. I don't think I'll be able to put the 35s to use where I'm at, and it has to remain a viable daily driver for now. With the lift I'm doing though, that option to move up to 35s is always available, right? Now I'm looking for good 33s- I want them to be skinny, so any suggestions?

Of course, there is a budget but I want to do it right. I'm still unmarried, though, so my budget is largely based on what mods I want to accomplish on the LJ vs my Audi TT vs my bike
Unread 04-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #12
kakarak
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well, I just called and talked with Jeff at Rokmen. I ordered the up armor package 3, and I'll go from there. It seems like a good first step.

He did try talking me out of the RE lift kit, and going with a 2-2.5" kit instead. I'll have to think about it some more.

~thanks for everyone's help
Unread 04-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #13
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hey kakarak, I wish I could help you more, but as you know from my PM earlier I am still stock too. What you described for your needs are fairly similar to mine. I suppose thats because we only live 80 miles apart.

I think you made the right choice by sticking with 33x10 tires. Actually if you keep your MOAB rims you will be using a 255/85/16. Thats actually closer to a 34" tire. This is the route I would like to go as well if I can swing it in the future. I think for driving in mud and snow the narrower tire will really help you a lot. So I would stick with the 255/85/16 on your Rubicon rims. You might rub at tight turning and need some Spidertrax wheel spacers. But they can be added at any time.

Also check out BDS (http://www.bds-suspension.com/) lifts. From my reading on this forum and on Rubicon owners forum I have determined that this is one of the best lifts available. I think its the only lift I've never read a bad comment on. A lot of people complain the RE are too stiff and rough riding. The OME gets a lot of praise on this forum, but over on the rubicon owners forum people complain about the springs sagging.

Just thought I'd share some of the info I have gathered. Of course none of this is from experience but its all from reading the forums and dreaming over the years. So take it as such.

I think you would have a very nice setup with the BDS 3" and a 1" body lift to fit your Rokmen up armour. I'm sure this would give you plenty of room for the 255/85/16 and even a 35" tire in the future. But again I would recommend staying with something narrow for the snow and mud. Not only will the narrow tire cut through the snow/mud better, you shouldn't have to re-gear. You might have to regear with a 35" tire. And in reality you would only gain about a 1/2" of clearance under the differential.

Good luck, I think your on the right road. I'd love to see your Jeep when you get it done. As soon as this snow is gone we should get together and go to Spider Lake (http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/ohv/trail_detail.html?id=27) or somewhere.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #14
Eric06Rubi
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBlu974X4 View Post
since you have a rubicon you dont need a SYE, youll only need the driveshaft
shouldnt need a driveshaft on an LJ with only 3.5 inches

Id say the 3.5 RE and a 1.25 BL and 35's with a little trimming and proper bumpstops.

although your gearing might suffer with 35's

I run 33's, auto and its fine, but on long hwy trips I wish i had something a little deeper than 4.10

although 4.88's and 35's are in the VERY near future for me

It's all fun and games till some guy parks his Jeep on top of your Honda.
Eric06Rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2009, 03:47 PM   #15
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

just buy everything on this website: www.rokmen.com
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.