Going 33's with 3 inch budget lift help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Going 33's with 3 inch budget lift help?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-25-2013, 12:55 AM   #1
matrobot
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Going 33's with 3 inch budget lift help?

Hey fellow jeep owners, I have installed a 2 inch budget boost with jk shocks in my sahara I6 tj, I was thinking about putting in a 1.25 inch bl so I can run 33's. Im not sure if ill run into any issues about rubbing or brake line length or if the shifter will have issues. Does anyone see any issues I may have going with another 1.25 bl and 33's. Btw i have a dana 44 if that helps, i'm kind of new to the jeep world so all the help I can get would be awesome.

matrobot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 05:38 AM   #2
4banged
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Let us know what you use the jeep for. Do you off road or is this for looks only? I think brake line length comes into play mostly at full flex off roading. Another idea might be to run flat flares with just the 2" bb and 33's especially if its a mall crawler.
4banged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
matrobot
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well i plan on going wheeling through some trails(rausch creek), like not too hard but enough that i will need 33's and i have 6 inch pocket style bushwacker fenders, i dont plan on being a mall crawler, thats not what jeeps are made for.
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
Melissas6570
2001 TJ Wrangler 

You need to set your bump stops for the correct length. Pull the springs and check at full bump. Make sure the shock is not the bump stop. For the brake lines if you need longer ones for cheap go get some YJ lines for and install them in the front. They are longer than stock TJ ones. If you run 33x12.5 tires, you will need rims with different offset, or wheel spacers.
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
matrobot
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, i extended the bumpstop 2 inches so the top(technically the bottom) of the bumpstop is flush with the spring spacer and i need rims with around 4 inches bs, but do i come into any problems by lifting the jeep with these types of lifts
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
adkfinn
2000 TJ Wrangler 

matrobot if you aren't wheeling hard this setup should work. I ran the same setup on my '97 for years and it was 'fine' for what I did with it (light wheeling, trails, back roads etc.) It isn't the best setup, you'll have less flex, probably a harsher ride, gearing will be less than optimal, etc than a good 3" lift kit and proper gearing. If this meets your expectations then roll with it and be happy.
Are you going to disconnect your front sway bar offroad? If so double check that your front brake lines are long enough. You can also carefully "adjust" the front hard line a bit lower from the stock mounting points. You will need wheels (with 4.5" backspacing or less) or spacers if you try to run a tire wider than 10.5" and you'll need to adjust your steering stops or the 33's will make contact with the sway bar.
adkfinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
afusco1222
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Though that set up is not ideal, it will work.
afusco1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
The_Dealer
2003 KJ Liberty 

Check my build thread
Unread 10-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
I run 33" tires on a 2" suspension lift plus a 1.25" body lift. IMO, the Jeep runs much better than when I had it on factory suspension. It's on a different configuration now but when I first started, I was running a 2" BDS suspension and my current 1,25" JKS bodylift. Additionally, I was running factory control arms and stock front and rear trackbars and did not need to lower my transfer case skid, due to a 1" motor mount lift that I installed at the same time I did my bodylift. I also did not install a rear trackbar relocation bracket. I did not experience any ill or negative results from my mild build.

My Jeep is my daily driver and I do wheel it here in the Pacific Northwest. 33" tires are doable on a budget but you should pay attention to bumpstop. With my BDS lift, I did not install/increase my bumpstops and I did not experience any clearance issues. However, when I switched over to an OME lift, I had to bumpstop my front 1.25", and I used the bumpstop that was included with the OME lift, for the rear.
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
matrobot
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you everyone, this helped, adkfinn thanks for the details, i think im going to do it, its sought of a budget budget boost but im a little on the low for cash right now, i just wanted to make sure my geometry of everything was okay.
Unread 10-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #11
adkfinn
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Glad I could help!

Also, I ran mine with a MML like IslandTJ and did not have to drop the the skid and had no vibes (that was with the 2.5L/AX5 which seemed to be less sensitive than other drivetrains of that generation TJ). Given my budget at the time, it did the trick and I had tons of fun with that jeep.
adkfinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
3 inch lift , 33 inch tires , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.