Go Topless! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Go Topless!

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-02-2005, 12:28 PM   #1
PDX_XJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Go Topless!

Alright - broke college student question of the day:

My TJ has a hard top and full steel doors. The top is coming off in two weeks when I move into my new place. Problem is, it rains almost daily here in Portland, OR. I know the cheapest option to deal with rain is to buy a pair of swim trunks and pull the drain plugs. What's the second cheapest?

Will a bikini do the trick if I leave the back seat out? Should I pony up the cash for a factory soft top? I've heard negative things about Bestop and other aftermarket tops, so what's the consensus?

Unread 06-02-2005, 12:32 PM   #2
got4-Lo

bikini and duster is what i run all summer. and i leave it in the rain sometimes, its fine as longs as its not a down pour

[URL]webwheeling.com[/URL]
got4-Lo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2005, 12:42 PM   #3
PDX_XJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hmm... dounpours are all we get here. The streets turn into rivers.
Unread 06-02-2005, 12:43 PM   #4
highmeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_XJ
Hmm... dounpours are all we get here. The streets turn into rivers.
Hey PDX,

how about this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=50456

Unread 06-02-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
RockRunner85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Get a binki top, windjammer, and some soft doors. I don't have a windjammer or bikini top, but I do know that without the rear window in my soft top when its raining, the water will come in from the back and get ya wet. I do have the soft doors and there great. They let some water in through the seams but overall its great protection.

RE 3.5 SuperFlex & Front Trackbar / JKS 1.25" BL & MML / 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 AR-23s / Currie Anti-Rock / Jeeperman Bumpers / Rokmen Sliders / York OBA / Harbor Freight 8k Winch
RockRunner85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2005, 12:46 PM   #6
LoneJeeper
i wear foil underwear too

1999 TJ Wrangler 

a safari top and a duster is all you need.

lj
Unread 06-02-2005, 01:20 PM   #7
micfly83

I just take off my shirt and enjoy the shower
1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ, 2.5L High Output, High flow aluminum intake, 4.0L Throttle Body, 62mm TB Spacer, bored out intake manifold, 5spd, 3" suspension lift, 31" BFG A/Ts, Two 10,000lb tow hooks, DT3000s, Outland lightbar, 5 high powered offroad lights, Mapp Nerf Bars, 102" whip antenna, Midland CB, 6 speaker soundbar, Smallest leaf removed, Air restrictor removed, No trackbars, No swaybars, No A/C, Custom 32 song horn-

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/753987
micfly83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2005, 01:54 PM   #8
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

cheapest solution would be the safari and duster. the doors are easy enough to take on and off. with the doors on and the safari on, you will be pretty safe from the elements. the duster will keep the back from getting too wet.
TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2005, 02:33 PM   #9
Alec

door sourrouds anyone?

[CENTER]
Powertrain envy sufferer - Softop tinkerer [/CENTER]
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2005, 02:40 PM   #10
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

x2 on what TXST8TJ said... That is my combination right now and with the doors on/up, it isn't too bad... you could even put some kind of prop under the duster to help water run off in the right direction (to the back) when you're not in it.

Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2005, 02:48 PM   #11
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

definately try to find some door surrounds, they make a big difference.

Second, find a Cardboard box to stuff under your duster to help the water run off, they strech something fierce if left on their own.

Finally, throw a cuople of big yard waste size garbage bags (with tie handles) in your glove box or console, to cover your seats when you get caught in a downpour, or to keep your a$$ dry when you forget to cover them and have to drive home.

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2005, 03:03 PM   #12
Suprmn54
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i have the bikini and duster for my 97 TJ hardtop and full steel doors as well. The duster does catch some water in the middle of it if you let it sit in the rain...but other than that it covers nicely. The bikini gets you a little wet when youre driving when it's really coming down hard but when it's parked i un-velcro the flaps and hang them on top of the full door and it keeps everything dry. Hope this helps.
Suprmn54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2005, 03:16 PM   #13
RockPaws

If your concerned about the rain while your not driving it. Why not get a cover. I've got the one from Jeep Covers Great cover, well made, very good tie downs, and can be used while towing. Best of all .. its made in the USA! and the price is right $109.95.

Mine was shipped the same day and received the next.. But then Im only 40 miles from them.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]01' Jeep TJ (Jeep #5)
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.
[URL=http://www.redrock4x4.com][COLOR=Blue]www.redrock4x4.com Rocks![/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=www.needhim.org/][COLOR=Blue]Need Him?[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]
RockPaws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2005, 03:18 PM   #14
IlliniJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by micfly83
I just take off my shirt and enjoy the shower
That's what I do. You wouldn't believe the looks you get hauling *** getting home during a notorious Chicago spur-o-the-moment thundershower. It's even better if you have the doors off and the wide tires spray you every time you take a corner!
Unread 06-02-2005, 03:36 PM   #15
frodare

Donít get the bikini top thinking it will keep you dry, it will not. It will certainly help a great deal but in the end I was very unhappy with it because I didnít want water on my radio and seats. But I feel in love with the bikini Ė duster set up and couldnít go to a full soft top. I ended up cutting the back off the old beat up soft top that came with the jeep when I bought it so that it acted like a bikini. I didnít have the windows for it anyway. I have been happy ever since, I really wish someone sold something like it. And just like some of the other have already said you will need the door surrounds or water will really pour in, they are kind of expensive though.
frodare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.