GM 350 Crate engine or Golen 4.6L Stroker? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > GM 350 Crate engine or Golen 4.6L Stroker?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-15-2008, 12:27 AM   #1
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

GM 350 Crate engine or Golen 4.6L Stroker?

So I'm looking through my 4WD hardware and Quadratec catalogs because they arrived the same day. The Universal GM 350 Crate Engine Package caught my eye. I noticed that the "Base package w/Serpentine Drive System with A/C" is very similar spec-wise to the Golen 4.6L stroker.

Horsepower: GM=260 Golen=260
Torque: GM=350 Golen=295
Price: GM=$3330 Golen=$3700

The most obvious difference is that the GM is carbureted and the Golen is Fuel Injected. But what are the practical differences? Would it feel all that different to drive?

And what about overall price to do the swap? I've never done an engine swap, so I'm doing a lot of guessing, but... The GM engine looks like it comes with all new accessory parts, but I think you'd need new engine mounts. Would the other stock Jeep A/C parts work? Wiring? The Golen looks like it re-uses parts, same wiring, motor mounts, etc. I think that even though the Golen is more expensive, it would be a cheaper and easier swap overall. Plus you get to keep fuel injection.

DINOCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2008, 01:44 AM   #2
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Going from EFi to carb is kind of a down grade if you ask me, especially in the MPG you will get, also I know there are some downsides to a carb on the trail, beyond the crappy starting when it is cold out. As far as the swap cost my neighbor has done a few V8s into TJs and his average cost it about $5000. I would go with the stroker if I were you, just for ability of easily finding parts. And ease of installation.
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2008, 02:33 AM   #3
Moses2564
2000 TJ Wrangler 

After reading a ton of V8 swap threads here, I've decided to go with the Ford 302 (5.0L) swap. You can find an engine from a 92-93 Mustang for pretty cheap, the engine weighs less, and will get you about 225hp/300ft lb torque, and according to the guys that have done it, for around $1200 if you do the work yourself.

Of the two you posted though, I would go with the stroker.
1997 Arctic Cat ZRT 600

Check out my build thread!
Moses2564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2008, 02:53 AM   #4
jamaicanmecrazy
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Jeep View Post
So I'm looking through my 4WD hardware and Quadratec catalogs because they arrived the same day. The Universal GM 350 Crate Engine Package caught my eye. I noticed that the "Base package w/Serpentine Drive System with A/C" is very similar spec-wise to the Golen 4.6L stroker.

Horsepower: GM=260 Golen=260
Torque: GM=350 Golen=295
Price: GM=$3330 Golen=$3700

The most obvious difference is that the GM is carbureted and the Golen is Fuel Injected. But what are the practical differences? Would it feel all that different to drive?

And what about overall price to do the swap? I've never done an engine swap, so I'm doing a lot of guessing, but... The GM engine looks like it comes with all new accessory parts, but I think you'd need new engine mounts. Would the other stock Jeep A/C parts work? Wiring? The Golen looks like it re-uses parts, same wiring, motor mounts, etc. I think that even though the Golen is more expensive, it would be a cheaper and easier swap overall. Plus you get to keep fuel injection.

Cover your screen before you look at the price here. <spit, cough>
http://www.cdpautomachine.com/engine...longblock.html
jamaicanmecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2008, 04:47 AM   #5
JohnP
2006 TJ Wrangler 

How about fuel? Doesn't the Golen require premium? That might be an issue, especially if you drive a lot.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2008, 05:08 AM   #6
Moses2564
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Rubicon View Post
How about fuel? Doesn't the Golen require premium? That might be an issue, especially if you drive a lot.
The compression ratio of the Golen isn't that different from that of a stock 4.0. 8.8:1 vs. 9.0:1, so I would imagine you may need to run mid-grade, but I don't think you would need to use premium.
1997 Arctic Cat ZRT 600

Check out my build thread!
Moses2564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2008, 06:18 AM   #7
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

For me - it'll be the stroker block. Simply because it looks mostly stock when you open the hood
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2008, 10:41 AM   #8
mud n rox
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep View Post
For me - it'll be the stroker block. Simply because it looks mostly stock when you open the hood
x2 with the stroker you dont have to change a thing. Works with motor mounts,bellhousings, trans. Everything you need you already have.

Caution: Rock and a hard place just ahead.

[/FONT][/I][/B]

Last edited by mud n rox; 11-18-2008 at 08:25 AM..
mud n rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2008, 10:58 AM   #9
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

You will need to get an intake, throttle body , larger injectors, headers,etc.You will need to run premium!If your far away from Chad Golen it might cost you up too $500.00 for shipping! It would also be good to know the year of your Jeep?You don't have that info in your profile!I have the stroker! If you need to PM me feel free! Good luck!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2008, 10:59 AM   #10
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry,I just caught your forum sig!!97 four banger.
Unread 11-15-2008, 11:03 AM   #11
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you have a 4 banger, the choice is easy.

Go with the V8.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2008, 11:06 AM   #12
AndrewMuadDib
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Things to realize on a V8 swap - you will need to do the following:
new motor mounts
EFI, for god's sake, go efi
tranny bellhousing
new alternator
new power steering pump
you'll need to make new brackets for york oba
you'll need a better radiator - go for a single core aluminum, they're expensive
new fan - either clutch or electric- your choice, slight parasitic loss with clutch driven, but if your electric dies on the trail or in stop and go traffic - you are totally screwed
if you've upgraded your power steering, you get to buy a new upgraded power steering pump (same applies for on board welder high capacity alternator)
new ECM/PCM
wiring harnesses and splicing
you may need to replace the guages

Basically, either one works fine - but the incidentals add up quickly for the V8 swap. If you go stroker you'll need an aluminum radiator and a custom tuner, either unichip or split second (about $550), injectors.

Both of them get expensive. I like the torque at idle and low end on my stroker. If you want to be able to haul *** get an LS series engine that will get you more bang for your buck. Driving style makes a difference as to which one you choose. But they both get expensive fast.
AndrewMuadDib is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2008, 11:11 AM   #13
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

You will not need an aluminum radiator,custom tuner,only the injectors! The unichip is good to have though, but not necessary!
Unread 11-15-2008, 11:17 AM   #14
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

A Mopar V8 is about the closest you'll get to a drop-in V8. Get a 5.2 or 5.9 Magnum out of a close-ish year Ram/Dakota/Durango/Grand Cherokee with a J-Tec style PCM and you will need motor mounts, possibly a trans bellhousing or adaptor, some custome exhaust run, you'll need to find exhaust manifolds/headers that work, and re-pin the Jeep's body side of the wiring harness. It will plug right into the V8 PCM and run all your gauges, lights, etc. If you have a manual, get a manual truck's PCM, if you have an auto, get an auto truck's PCM.

www.backwoodsoffroad.com has a TON of info and parts you may find useful should you go this route.

Getting Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2008, 11:22 AM   #15
AndrewMuadDib
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
You will not need an aluminum radiator,custom tuner,only the injectors! The unichip is good to have though, but not necessary!
If you live in a hot climate you will probably need to upgrade your radiator - my stroker runs hotter than stock and cooling became a big issue until I upgraded - if he's in a cool place I agree he may not have problems.

About the tuner - split second or unichip - he very well likely WILL need it. Sometimes the stock PCM can get the job done, and sometimes it can't. Mine couldn't. At all. Tuning it made all the difference in the world. Even if the stock computer does make it run well enough, a piggyback custom tuner will show significant increase - which is the entire purpose of going stroker - he might as well.

I have a I6 stroker and I definitely had to upgrade the radiator (after flushing and cleaning the old one), and without the custom tuning it ran like crap - poor power, rough idle, etc. After replacing everything - fuel pump, lines, rail, coil rail, all sensors, etc - I was still chasing a ghost. Tuned it and unleashed a demon. Night and day.

If you go stroker please save yourself the aggravation and tune it.

And the headers, hiflow cat, muffler made virtually no difference, certainly not worth the money, IMO. They do make it louder though.

Good luck with whatever you choose, btw.
AndrewMuadDib is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.