Glowing Red Hot Brake Rotors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Glowing Red Hot Brake Rotors

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail 99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Dark Headlights Clear Cor99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Chrome Headlights

Unread 04-19-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
02OlllllllOTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Glowing Red Hot Brake Rotors

i was leaving giant eagle in the pooring rain today and my jeep started to pull left. luckily i only live about a mile away so i just drove it home with a firm grip on the wheel. i pulled in my drive and check out the front end and my drivers side brake rotor is glowing red hot and smoking because of the rain. not to mention that nasty burning brake smell filled the air. im asuming that this is a froze caliper. my buddy told me to also check for a collapsed brake line. cant really do much of inspecting due to the rain. im really just curious if you think this has destroyed my rotor and pads? i just replaced the pads less then a year ago with ebc yellow stuff pads and centric rotors and i cant really afford to replace the pads and rotors again. im guessing they are mostly warped to hell and the pads are glazed over. anyone have this happen and have sucess with just replacing the caliper?

Unread 04-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
02OlllllllOTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

bump before it gets pushed on page 2
Unread 04-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you had it glowing red, you will need to replace the pads and rotor. Definatly sounds like a frozen caliper or collapsed brake line. I would replace both together to be sure, and so you only end up having to bleed the system once.
Unread 04-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
05TurboS2K
2004 TJ Wrangler 

^ For reference I make my rotors glow red hot on my car fairly regularly, every track day plus on some hard canyon roads sometimes even. Nothing wrong with that. Rotors are always fine.

I had my rotors glow red on my jeep because the caliper was froze for god knows what reason. I kept the rotor and kept the pads too.

The rotor was warped for a few days and straightened out as I braked very hard doing some hard break tests hoping it might magically straighten and it did.
05TurboS2K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
PITBULL1967
2013 JK Wrangler 

Maybe there too thin, rotors shouldn't be glowing red regularly.

"Workers of the world UNITE! All you have to loose is your chains." Karl Marx.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
Thomas Jefferson.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
Thomas Jefferson.
PITBULL1967 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
05TurboS2K
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITBULL1967 View Post
Maybe there too thin, rotors shouldn't be glowing red regularly.
Ehh it's prettttty common on the race track. Have a look at professional racing, they're all glowing commonly all the time from corner to corner.

Edit> Ferrari FXX (suped up Ferrari Enzo, the fastest car Ferrari has to date) http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/attachments/supercars/36446d1257538982-glowing-rotors-thread-sick-pics-finalis-20081108-201838.jpg

They don't glow the whole way around the track but they glow in some areas pretty hot. It's fine and dandy I get a little brake fade but it's not bad even when it's glowing. For daily driving they'd never glow of course. I'm just saying that glow doesn't instantly mean the rotor is ruined.

Here's what I drive. (Honda S2000) http://20832.com/images/desktop/Dubai_Maeder_1280x1024.jpg
Unread 04-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
DustinS
2011 JK Wrangler 

I'd replace them, but you could always just drive around and see if it feels abnormal. Inspect of course, too.
Unread 04-19-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
02OlllllllOTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i guess i will just replace the calipers for now. if the rotor is warped ill replace it after i know for sure.
Unread 04-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #9
05TurboS2K
2004 TJ Wrangler 

^ Are you sure you can't fix the caliper? Mine were fixable. Mine didn't stay frozen I was able to free them up and they're fine as far as I can feel now.
Unread 04-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #10
02OlllllllOTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

it may be fixable but they are fairly cheap so i think i will just replace both. do the unit bearings too
Unread 04-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #11
jeepmare
2006 TJ Wrangler 

When you replace your brake pads, did you grease the calipers bolts? If the calipers can't slide freely on the bolts, they won't release from the rotor, hence hot rotors.
jeepmare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 10:28 PM   #12
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TurboS2K View Post
^ For reference I make my rotors glow red hot on my car fairly regularly, every track day plus on some hard canyon roads sometimes even. Nothing wrong with that. Rotors are always fine.

I had my rotors glow red on my jeep because the caliper was froze for god knows what reason. I kept the rotor and kept the pads too.

The rotor was warped for a few days and straightened out as I braked very hard doing some hard break tests hoping it might magically straighten and it did.
A track day is different than what has happened here. At the track, the rotor has time to properly cool through airflow in the vents. The OP drove his jeep with the caliper locked up or other problem, got the rotor red hot and parked it. The lack of the proper cooling cycle like this will cause blueing and glazing of the rotor. This creates hard spots on the rotor which will not create the proper friction to stop the vehicle correctly. It would be an extremely good idea for him to replace the rotor and pads to retain full stopping ability.
Unread 04-20-2011, 02:12 AM   #13
RockMonster
1998 TJ Wrangler 

maybe u can use magic to straighten out your rotors if there warped, seems like it worked fine for 05turbos2k?
Unread 04-20-2011, 02:31 AM   #14
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Brake rotors don't actually get crooked when they get warped.

Magic didn't straighten then, I would be willing to wager it was pad buildup on the 05turbos2k's rotor the whole time that made it feel warped.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2011, 09:20 AM   #15
Melo4x4
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Melo4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.