glowing mini cats - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > glowing mini cats

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-06-2010, 09:48 PM   #16
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

well I didn't totally fix the problem. the cats no longer glow from just idling. I just drove the jeep and the whole exhaust manifold and minicats glow. what could the possible problem areas be? I did swap the OPDA a few months ago and marked the wheel to the block but I don't think I marked the assembly in relation to the block. could I have installed the OPDA slightly off sync and this be the result? jeep runs fine, no missing and plenty of power and no codes being thrown. I think I'm gonna take it in next week but just want an idea of what the possible answer may be.

roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 10:59 PM   #17
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
well I didn't totally fix the problem. the cats no longer glow from just idling. I just drove the jeep and the whole exhaust manifold and minicats glow. what could the possible problem areas be? I did swap the OPDA a few months ago and marked the wheel to the block but I don't think I marked the assembly in relation to the block. could I have installed the OPDA slightly off sync and this be the result? jeep runs fine, no missing and plenty of power and no codes being thrown. I think I'm gonna take it in next week but just want an idea of what the possible answer may be.
i believe this (quoted below) could be your answer. Unlimited04 gave you the advice to fix it as well. have the Jeep dealership look at it and get it fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
A rich condition might lead to combustion happening in the header...
WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.
Jeepster83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 10:59 PM   #18
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Its running too rich, the cam sensor you moved around controls the injector timing.
Nonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #19
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

well I just got it back from the dealer. timing was off 9 degrees, didn't say which way. they checked the cats and determined one was partially clogged and now I have a cat set coming to be done under warranty however its on national backorder. wonder how long it will take to come in?
Unread 08-11-2010, 10:59 PM   #20
55willystruck

This "national backorder" thing is a little silly. I mentioned above on my cat replacement that the cats are not a standard stock item-they are built to order. I had mine on order from Eastern Catalytic for 4-5 weeks before calling to find out what was going on. Somewhere between 5-6 weeks it was finally here-arrived late yesterday evening. Not sure exactly what national backorder is supposed to mean to the masses but for a build-to-order part, it will take a bit.

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2010, 07:04 PM   #21
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

got tired of waiting and ordered an aftermarket cat, took old one off and it was not clogged. not gonna go back to the dealer, this is the second time they have misdiagnosed stuff on my jeep. replaced the map sensor today and no luck, manifold and minicats still glow. IAT seems to be close enough to ambient based on what the rearview mirror says. I guess all I have left to try is swap the precat O2s. anything else to consider? also anyone who has a scanguage, if they could give me the readings for their O2s it would be a big help. if they could tell me what the number actually means that would help as well. the upper O2s seem to bounce from low teens all the way to about 68. no idea what that number means.
Unread 10-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #22
jr03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Can search for good explanation of O2s but basic range between 0 and 1V, 0 is full lean 1 is full rich o2 reading should fairly rapidly change from a rich to lean reading and will vary some from idling to driving Your numbers seem OK but if they are slow to cycle then O2 maybe going bad. Check reading with engine warmed up in closed loop mode. Fuel pressure regulator(high press) or bad injector(s) could cause rich condition too
jr03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2010, 03:48 PM   #23
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

took it back to a different dealer. my timing was off, they resynced it. cats and manifild still glow. all sensors and fueling are in spec. they think the stock muffler has a restriction in it. said the baffles can sometimes come loose and lodge with no signs or rattles that somethings wrong. sounds strange to me but going to take it to a muffler shop tomorrow to get it looked at. any thoughts?
Unread 11-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #24
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You can remove the muffler and run without it, and the jeep won't know the difference. It'll be a lot louder though. But this would allow you to diagnose a clogged muffler and see if they cats still glow. Two cuts with the sawzall, and you're in business.
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #25
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I had a muffler shop test the backpressure. they cut a hole and used a gauge before the muffler and revved the engine up. said it tested good. they also checked before the third cat and it tested good as well. really don't know what to do now. I guess all I'm left with is removing the muffler but really don't think this is the answer. I've never heard of a muffler plugging up.
Unread 11-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #26
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I loosened up the bolts to where they were almost off at the muffler flange. real bad exhaust leak like expected and ran the jeep. manifold and cats still glowing. scratch the dealers theory about a restricted muffler. talked them today and they all but wrote me off. said they weren't going to look at it till i get a new muffler. said two techs drove it and everything checked out. I questioned fuel pressure and he said the injector pulse width was fine. any suggestions what to do or look at?
Unread 09-16-2013, 12:51 AM   #27
05unlimit

Roadkill- What ended up being the problem? I have the EXACT same issues after replacing the OPDA. I've tried everything I can think of but can't seem to fix it. The LJ is running fine..... No codes, normal milage but the mini cats and headers are glowing stop sign red.....HELP!!!
05unlimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #28
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I know dealers are a pain and is frustrating you, but replace the muffler as they asked and let the dealer mess with it and they can throw parts at it all day long on their dime.
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #29
05unlimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05unlimit View Post
Roadkill- What ended up being the problem? I have the EXACT same issues after replacing the OPDA. I've tried everything I can think of but can't seem to fix it. The LJ is running fine..... No codes, normal milage but the mini cats and headers are glowing stop sign red.....HELP!!!
BTW I apologize for bringing back a long dead thread but this is the first I've heard of someone with the exact same symptoms.
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #30
05unlimit

BUMP. Anyone else have this problem?

Tags
glow , glowing , mini cats , tj , wrangler , idle

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.