glowing mini cats - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > glowing mini cats

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

glowing mini cats

I just noticed last night that my mini cats are glowing red. the jeep is not a DD and I was moving my M416 at the house, so in essence they were glowing from just idling, no highway driving or load on the engine. also I'm not sure if this is related but a few weeks ago I noticed my idle sometimes wants to idle high (1200) and will fall down to 900 after the ac compressor kicks on. turn the ac off and it idles high. sometimes it did this sometimes it didn't. pretty sure the cats are still good as I hear no noise or have a lack of power nor do I have any codes when I check them. 2006 LJ with 26,000 miles. where should I look first?

roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

what kinda gas mileage you getting? any major decrease?
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like some kind of blockage, maybe...

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

glowing cats = rich condition. Get it checked out soon or glowing cats will turn into ruined cats.
Nonya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
what kinda gas mileage you getting? any major decrease?
not a daily driver so I don't exactly know for sure as sometimes I pull my trailer other times I don't but I haven't seen any major difference or noticeable increase
Unread 08-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
RickyZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonya View Post
glowing cats = rich condition. Get it checked out soon or glowing cats will turn into ruined cats.
x2...Its either plugged (probably not since you have noticed no decrease in power) or its coming out too rich
Unread 08-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
not a daily driver so I don't exactly know for sure as sometimes I pull my trailer other times I don't but I haven't seen any major difference or noticeable increase
definitely running too rich...you have 8/80 emissions warranty under federal law...let the stealership figure it out.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I thought running lean made exhaust hotter on gas and rich makes exhaust hotter on diesels
Unread 08-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #9
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

A rich condition might lead to combustion happening in the header...

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

cats burn fuel....rich =hot lean = cool

glowing cats = too much unburnt fuel, soon to bee melted non functioning cats
Unread 08-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #11
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
I thought running lean made exhaust hotter on gas and rich makes exhaust hotter on diesels
lean makes the cylinders overheat, rich makes the exhaust overheat because the unburnt fuel burns off in the cats. The cats can only burn off so much before they get too hot and melt.
Unread 08-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #12
55willystruck

Just a word on this-expect a long delay if you need to order one. I have one on order from Eastern Catalytic which is a direct OE replacement, 409 stainless, high flow version. From what I've learned so far, these are a 'build to order' part so there are none on the shelf. From another thread, I'm hearing dealers have a nation wide back order on them. After a month of waiting almost, a call yesterday and I was told mine is currently "being built" and should ship soon. They were waiting for some part to finish building it and it should be done soon. Hopefully-mine's in bad shape, big loss of economy, rough idle, misfires, etc.

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #13
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I replaced my OPDA and put it back by marking the placement. could I have installed it slightly off sync and this be the result?
Unread 08-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #14
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

opda?
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:13 PM   #15
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

opda is the oil pump drive assembly also known as the cam sensor assembly, it's what used to be the distributor

anyways I think I have the problem fixed. I also had the Edge Trailjammer on my jeep. trying to eliminate that last night I unhooked it and ran with just the throttle body it still did the same so I assumed it was not part of the problem. so today I decided to remove the TB cause I was gonna sell the Edge anyhow and went to put the stock TB back on. I think I read somewhere where a vacuum leak could cause the exhaust to glow under certain conditions and also it related how a malfunctioning IAC would be the same as a vacuum leak (more air). well I found a small piece of orange foam trapped in my IAC motor. it was from the sealing edge of a Fram air filter. checked my current filter and it looks great; I changed my oil and air filter a week ago and no longer have the old filter to check. I suspect its been trapped in that plunger for awhile now as I had to remove the air box when I did my MetalCloak fenders earlier this year and the box sits really close to the radiator supports after the tube fender install. I theorize that the lid shaved a piece of foam when I was putting it on and that piece got sucked up into the TB and found its way into the IAC motor.

so stock TB, no Edge module and a properly working IAC and now my jeep idles at roughly 725 regardless of AC function and the mini cats no longer glow. I know it was somewhat of a shotgun approach towards solving my problem but I bet the foam holding the IAC open was my problem all along and had I not removed the TB and swapped to the stock one I may never have found the foam in the IAC.

Tags
glow , glowing , mini cats , tj , wrangler , idle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.