gloss black or textured finish for a bumper? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > gloss black or textured finish for a bumper?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-22-2003, 10:01 PM   #1
jedi 4x4

gloss black or textured finish for a bumper?

For the same price on most bumpers you can get either a matte/textured or a glossy finish for black painted ones. I need a new rear bumper after someone hit my rear end. I used to have a smittybuilt tube bumper on my 90 YJ and it held up great. I need a new bumper either way and I figure since I want a hitch so I can mount a rear tow point, I might as well get this tube bumper since a lot of the warn style receiver bumpers arent rated for towing, just accessories. I see a lot of the textured finish bumpers on the road with a lot of rust, is this just because they are cheap ones or does the gloss help protect the metal from rusting (I live in Maryland and they use a lot of salt on our roads in winter)? I am getting the ARB bull bar for the front which looks like its closer to the matte finish, I want both to match but I'll sacrifice that for longevity of the bumper.

- Doc Brown, Back to the Future[/B]
jedi 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2003, 10:12 PM   #2
PrfctAggression
Web Wheeler

If I had a choice between the two finishes, I would go for a glossy paint, just because it's easier to clean.
[COLOR=yellow]Yellow Jeep Club and Redneck Jeep Club member #666 [/COLOR]
PrfctAggression is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2003, 10:32 PM   #3
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The gloss would probably be easier to clean, but the strength of the finish comes with the materials. Gloss is not going to be better than matte based on finish. (ie: gloss krylon vs. matte powdercoat). I believe the Bullbar is a low gloss smooth finish. Also if you go tube, I know you have owned before, but just be sure the tubes are sealed to avoid moisture/water intrusion which will create internal rust that will come through.

HTH
Craig

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2003, 11:15 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If it were me, I'd go textured and not give the gloss a second thought. Plus when gloss starts getting screwed up and looking bad, it REALLY looks bad.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2003, 07:45 AM   #5
mking7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
If it were me, I'd go textured and not give the gloss a second thought. Plus when gloss starts getting screwed up and looking bad, it REALLY looks bad.
What kind of paint do you guys recommend? I read about a hammered krylon or hammerite paint. Is this a textured paint or something? I too am trying to decide whether to order my bumer and skidz powdercoated or naked....

Thanks.
Unread 09-26-2003, 06:55 PM   #6
blupupher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mking7
What kind of paint do you guys recommend? I read about a hammered krylon or hammerite paint. Is this a textured paint or something? I too am trying to decide whether to order my bumer and skidz powdercoated or naked....

Thanks.
I used the Rustoleum "Hammered" I like the look, but it takes forever to dry. I did 3 coats in 24 hrs and they were not completly dry, so it is flaking in some spots, and I need to re do it.

Here is what the paint looks like fresh:
blupupher is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.