Give me some opinions, options, noob help with building my TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Give me some opinions, options, noob help with building my TJ

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadOconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 09-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
ScreamSalvation
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Give me some opinions, options, noob help with building my TJ

Ok guys and the couple of ladies, Jeep noob when it comes to lifts and options. My head is swimming with all the options when it comes to lifts. My Jeep will see more pavement than wilderness but will still be taken on trails and out into the woods down here in the south. I'm becoming a huge camping advocate since it gets me out of the office and way from work. No realy rocky areas I have ever seen, just mud, ruts, sometimes a tree on the trail etc.

One day I'd like to go out west and wheel with some of you guys in Moab but don't see that happening in the next 4 years so looking to build for my purposes now and if I need to lift more in a couple years I will. This being said I'd like to do enough now to where it might last me forever but if in 4 or so years I decide to lift again, it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

I'm not looking to spend a ton and would like to keep the suspension lifting $1000 or less (even less if I don't go with a kit to order).

So now to the fun, was hoping to give you guys a feel of what the Jeep will be doing.

Going to be doing a 1.25" JKS body lift. Might only do a 1" but planning for 1.25 right now.

JKS quicker disconnects for the front sway bar. These are a definate as my sway bar connector bushings are shot. These are not purchased yet but will be.

Already have put a Currie HD steering setup in the Jeep as the tie rod ends were shot and I want to run 33" tires when I get lifted some (already on 31s). Decided to go ahead and do it since I had some extra cash last month. And you can't go wrong with beefier steering.

I'm unsure what I want to do for lifting the suspension. Part of me says to go with a 2" BB. I assume with a 2" BB I wouldn't have to worry about anything else other than shocks correct?

The other part of me says to go for a 3" BDS (or similar, not set on one brand) lift with new springs. I'd like to avoid a t-case drop or SYE at the moment. If I go this route would a 1" MML be fine to get the drive line angles correct? With 3" would I need to worry about the length of the track bars also?

Another option I thought of was just lifting 2" with some different more heavy duty springs (due to the addition of bumpers etc) and putting new shocks on.

As for ride quality I'm looking for something a little softer than my Jeep rides now (Yea I know that no one on here knows how my Jeep rides). I think the shocks are shot though as there isn't much bounce, large potholes or bumps are very jarring. It isn't like the bump stops are being hit but it isn't a soft feeling or a bounce either.

I will sometime this year or the beginning of next have a larger beefer bumper on the front of the Jeep and a winch. So that adds weight up there. I'll hopefully be ordering my Jeeperman rear bumper this week.

I know everyone has a different build. I've read through tons of posts on what people have done but was hoping to get a couple questions answered. Make sure I am seeing things correctly, and get some of your opinions. I know I'm only talking about 1" difference in lift here, but 1" can mean a lot sometimes. It definitely does in price . Plus BB compared to new springs etc. means difference.

ScreamSalvation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2010, 11:53 PM   #2
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Keep the suspension lift down to 3" or less. Net 4" will not require a lot of extra stuff, like track bar, or a lot of additional expense.
You'll probably need the 1" MML but shaft angle should be fine w/o TC drop.

RJ
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 02:57 AM   #3
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Agreed keep it 3" or less for the least amount of problems, you may also want and adjustable front track bar, and maybe a rear relocation bracket depending on how much you axles shift. The problem with a 2" BB is you get lift but no additional flex, so you it looks nice, but has no additional functionality, or off road ability. Since you have a higher budget the the $200 for a the BB, I would look for something you won't want to upgrade right way. I would look at a BDS 2-3" lift or OME, although they are a little more.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
.... you may want and adjustable front track bar, and maybe a rear relocation bracket depending on how much you axles shift.
I have 2.5" suspension lift and 1.25" Body lift, w/ 1" MML..... with no corrective accion done to track bars. I have no vibration and my pinion angle is good.

My body is shifted 1/2" towards the drivers side of the frame but with no negative handling caracteristics at all.
I had the same senario on my Dodge diesel truck, with a 1/2" body shift, and drove it 150,000 miles with no bad side effects!

RJ
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #5
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJ View Post
I have 2.5" suspension lift and 1.25" Body lift, w/ 1" MML..... with no corrective accion done to track bars. I have no vibration and my pinion angle is good.

My body is shifted 1/2" towards the drivers side of the frame but with no negative handling caracteristics at all.
I had the same senario on my Dodge diesel truck, with a 1/2" body shift, and drove it 150,000 miles with no bad side effects!

RJ
in bold would be a result of control arms, track bar fixes that 1/2 offset of the body to the axle.

I just recently did the 2"BDS spring set, the springs are much more rigid than factory. The shocks work a ton better though as my factory shocks completely refused to be pushed in by hand. If you do a 2" BB you will need longer shocks. At 3" the 1" MML should be fine to fix driveline problems. You could even go for upper control arms to adjust pinion. You can't do a ton of correction this way but it will be a requirement for a SYE in the future.

I'm not entirely familiar with moab conditions but here in the south there really isn't much more than mud/swamp and sand, all of which you are better off just getting good wide tires.
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #6
waynehartwig
www.jeeperman.com

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'd put a 2" BB on it with a good set of shocks; like an RE BB with monotubes. Then put a 1" body lift on it so you can clear the 33's.

This will keep your rig low, keep you from needing drivetrain mods and fit the 33" tires. The best part is later on down the road, you can run some of the lighter trails in Moab.

As for the BB not flexing, take a look at Welcome to AllJeep.com! We are here to help you get it right...The first time! The green Jeep in the upper (left) portion of the page is a friends TJ on the Rubicon back in 04 - he had 32's and a 2" RE BB on that rig.
waynehartwig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.