Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Getting rid of the moldy smell from my Jeep...

54K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Jerry Bransford 
#1 ·
For the entire summer I've only had the bikini top on my Jeep...only occasionally putting the doors on. Needless to say, I've gotten caught in the rain and the interiors has gotten wet. What's the best way to get the moldy smell from your Jeep. Any carpet/seat cleaning recommendations? :thumbsup:

#2 ·
Get your seats steamcleaned. My buddy and I found a steamcleaner thing at Walgreens for like 25 bucks and cleaned his seats with it, no more smells.

EDIT: Also, if you are a wierdo who still has carpet in his TJ, steamclean that too. Then sell it or burn it.

#4 ·
Mold and mildew is alive so you have to kill it with something like Lysol (in an aerosol can) or Pinesol which has to be mixed in a bucket. I'd go with Lysol personally. It'll take multiple sprayings of the Lysol together with making sure the Jeep thoroughly dries out so leave the top and doors off as much as possible. Spray the seats and carpeting with Lysol every 2-3 days for a least 10 days to assure you have killed off the spores.

#7 ·
Use mold and mildew killers that are specifically made for fabric and upholstery, and then get it really, really dry. I've run a dehumidifier in mine before...I put the top up, parked the Jeep in the sun, and snaked the power cord in through the upper door seal and set it up in the rear. You'd be amazed at how much water that thing will pull out once the water vapor starts working it's way out of the seats. Also, running your A/C on recirculate will help dry the air out as well. You can also use a PVA absorber cloth to pull water out of the carpets, etc. In fact, the best thing to do with carpet is to take it out entirely and dry it separately.

#10 ·
x2 on what Jerry said about the mold and mildew being alive. Clean it like he mentioned and if it still smells try putting some charcoal in a bowl and leave it in your Jeep overnight or for a few nights. Charcoal will absorb the odors. Weird but it works.

#15 ·
The key material is "zeolite" (sp?). It's also used in kitty litter to absorb smells. Great stuff. If you can get your hands on a decent sized chunk, it will absorb odors for months. When it stops working, bake it in the oven for about an hour, it'll kind of 'refresh it', and it'll start working again.

#13 ·
jeep have carpet?

like a few have said you arent gonna get it fully cleaned while its installed. take it out, and take a good pressure washer to it, spray it down with lysol or similar product, then hit it with the pressure washer again, let dry then reinstall if you REALLY have to

#16 ·
I found this air freshener for free,hung it from the rear view mirror and haven't smelled anything else since.:DOne little squirt is all it takes.Lasts for months!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.