Getting bored with my TJ- Thinking of a free change - what do ya think? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Getting bored with my TJ- Thinking of a free change - what do ya think?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 05-29-2006, 11:28 AM   #1
jbpdog

Getting bored with my TJ- Thinking of a free change - what do ya think?

Ok so Im getting bored with the looks of my TJ and Im looking for a free change.

Heres the deal, Im thinking of removing my rear seat for the summer cuz i wont really need it too much. Then I was going to throw my 32" full sized spare (currently on stock tire carrier) in the back laying flat on the bed and then removing the stock tire carrier bracket and 3rd brake light.

I know it wont be hard to remove all this, but my question is will it be hard to put everything back on if I wanted to. Like is the stock tire carrier something you just dont want to remove cuz its too hard to put back on, or is this just an easy swap that would make a dramatic look for a little while.

Give me some suggestions, i think it would be a neat change, at least until i get bored of it.

Custom Sound System & 5% Window Tints
[/COLOR][/B][/CENTER]
jbpdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2006, 11:33 AM   #2
woody-77
Vulcan FTW

2007 FSJ Cherokee 

None of this is hard to take off or put back on.

Quote:
Thread deleted by Jerry Bransford
Reason: This was beyond human decency... posting about someone's girlfriend is ****ed up.
woody-77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2006, 11:33 AM   #3
Norm
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpdog
Ok so Im getting bored with the looks of my TJ and Im looking for a free change.

Heres the deal, Im thinking of removing my rear seat for the summer cuz i wont really need it too much. Then I was going to throw my 32" full sized spare (currently on stock tire carrier) in the back laying flat on the bed and then removing the stock tire carrier bracket and 3rd brake light.

I know it wont be hard to remove all this, but my question is will it be hard to put everything back on if I wanted to. Like is the stock tire carrier something you just dont want to remove cuz its too hard to put back on, or is this just an easy swap that would make a dramatic look for a little while.

Give me some suggestions, i think it would be a neat change, at least until i get bored of it.
I think it would be an interesting change....but......make sure that you secure the wheel/tire in the back somehow. That thing could put someone in a world of hurt if it went flyin' during in an accident.

Steve

Help me name my Jeep!!!
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2006, 11:35 AM   #4
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

it would be easy and sounds kool, everyone knows taking it off the first time is hardest part of any jeep

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2006, 11:35 AM   #5
woody-77
Vulcan FTW

2007 FSJ Cherokee 

Norm,

Norm is actually a good name for your Jeep. Maybe Norm Jr.?

Quote:
Thread deleted by Jerry Bransford
Reason: This was beyond human decency... posting about someone's girlfriend is ****ed up.
woody-77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2006, 11:41 AM   #6
jbpdog

Yea. I was even gunna buy some small bolts to plug up the holes from the tire carrier and tire bump-stops so that I didnt have any chance of the threads deteriorating(sp. whatever).

Also, will the 32" fit lying down in between my front seats and closed tailgate on a SWB 03 tj?
[/COLOR][/B][/CENTER]
Unread 05-29-2006, 11:42 AM   #7
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yea. I was even gunna buy some small bolts to plug up the holes from the tire carrier and tire bump-stops so that I didnt have any chance of the threads deteriorating(sp. whatever).

Also, will the 32" fit lying down in between my front seats and closed tailgate on a SWB 03 tj?
ya ive seen a kit that holds i think a 40 back there it at angle

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2006, 11:46 AM   #8
sctigerjeep

you can just weld the stock carrier to the floor at an angle and remove the tailgate for a really drastic change for free. a guy in my club did it... although i wouldn't recommend it if you are ever gonna want to put the stock carrier back on the tailgate again.

'98 Sahara, RE SF 4.5" lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT's, PSC front bumper w/ Warn M8000, TKH Fab Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier, AtoZ Fab rockers, Aussie Locked D30, Ford 8.8 Rear w/ Trac Lok, 4.10's, TBT Sport Cage, Currie HD Steering, Eaton Beadlocks, CO2 OBA, Etc.

[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/id/sctigerjeep]Click for PICS!![/URL]
sctigerjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2006, 12:03 PM   #9
jbpdog

lol yeah i dont know about all that. I just want to hold the 32" flat temporarily. Anyone know? I will probly just use some straps to tie it down to the luggage loops on the bed.
[/COLOR][/B][/CENTER]
Unread 05-29-2006, 12:09 PM   #10
jcd
2008 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like the ideal time to do a CJ tailgate conversion as well. It would certainly look different and much cooler than the bare TJ gate
Unread 05-29-2006, 12:10 PM   #11
jbpdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcd
Sounds like the ideal time to do a CJ tailgate conversion as well. It would certainly look different and much cooler than the bare TJ gate
not if i want to put everything back on in the future.
[/COLOR][/B][/CENTER]
Unread 05-29-2006, 12:27 PM   #12
jcd
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
not if i want to put everything back on in the future.
Everything can be undone... it just depends how much work you're willing to do
Unread 05-29-2006, 12:43 PM   #13
chewrocks

Dont cut the wires to the third light like I have heard people do. Take off the plastic cover on the inside of the rear door were the contact points are. The wires plug into these contact points.
chewrocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2006, 12:55 PM   #14
NEWtoTHEjeepLIF
Web Wheeler

Is the CJ tailgate a bolt in install?
NEWtoTHEjeepLIF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2006, 01:22 PM   #15
RockRunner85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewrocks
Dont cut the wires to the third light like I have heard people do. Take off the plastic cover on the inside of the rear door were the contact points are. The wires plug into these contact points.
Still can't get them through the wire gromet on the tailgate. You have to remove gromet and leave hole in there. I cut them and yanked the wires through the gromet.

RE 3.5 SuperFlex & Front Trackbar / JKS 1.25" BL & MML / 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 AR-23s / Currie Anti-Rock / Jeeperman Bumpers / Rokmen Sliders / York OBA / Harbor Freight 8k Winch
RockRunner85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.