Genright Aluminum Hi-Fender with AEV Hood install - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Genright Aluminum Hi-Fender with AEV Hood install

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 10-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #91
Dan69

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBevO8 View Post
Ahh...thanks! Not what I wanted to do but I guess I may just have to. I emailed Genright so we will see what they say.

I can post a pic of what I did with my relay box. I used an existing hole on the inner fender then some 1" plastic stand offs for the other two holes and it fits great! Let me see if I got a pic and I will post up...

EDIT:
I'll have to snag a pic of the box in the daylight tomorrow. Till then here are some pics from Saturday. My 33" TrXus MTs were trashed so my buddy sold me some KM1s for $250 for the set! Like 70% tread on them. 35s and highlines now buddy!!!

Impact Orange FTW!!
Jeep is looking good and thats a sweet deal on the KM1s! 35's just look good and with the highlines the 33's would just have looked tiny. You're making lots of progress. It took me a lot longer than I anticipated, but thats pretty normal for my wrenching jobs. Nothing like an impact orange jeep!

Dan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #92
Dan69

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ahh...thanks! Not what I wanted to do but I guess I may just have to. I emailed Genright so we will see what they say.

I can post a pic of what I did with my relay box. I used an existing hole on the inner fender then some 1" plastic stand offs for the other two holes and it fits great! Let me see if I got a pic and I will post up...

EDIT:
I'll have to snag a pic of the box in the daylight tomorrow. Till then here are some pics from Saturday. My 33" TrXus MTs were trashed so my buddy sold me some KM1s for $250 for the set! Like 70% tread on them. 35s and highlines now buddy!!!

Impact Orange FTW!!
Trimming the inners was not in my plan in the beginning, but in the end if you trim out around the shock/spring mounts it makes it real easy to put the fender on and pull it back off. I can pull a fender off in about 20 minutes now and install it in about the same amount of time. I have to say that I'm glad I went with the Genright inner fenders. They are really nice and make a clean finish.
Unread 10-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #93
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Trimmed the inner to clear that thing. Does not look too bad. I have to take a hair more off around the coil/shock bracket and drill holes for all of the components yet. I somehow nailed it on the passenger side the first time. I also have to trim the front and redo 2 of the 3 slots horizontally on the outer fender where it bolts to the grill. I had to do that on the passenger side too. Man, those slots are not even close! Other than that fitment is great on the passenger side and pretty good on the driver. I wish the driver fit as good around the head light area as the passenger side. Oh well. I got tracking on the washer bottle and won't be here till Wed the 9th. If you get yours here soon please post up about it! Hopefully this weekend I can wrap up the fenders and cut and reinstall the stock hood. Next week I can get on the washer bottle and dealing with my rocker rivnut fiasco.
Unread 10-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #94
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Cut and installed the hood. Man it seemed crazy to cut that much off but it fits great! I need to grind about 1/16" off in 2 spots then I am going to paint the edge with POR15 and install the edge trim. I will post a pic later today when it is done. Hopefully it will be 99% done today! (100% when washer bottle arrives)
Unread 10-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #95
Dan69

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Trimmed the inner to clear that thing. Does not look too bad. I have to take a hair more off around the coil/shock bracket and drill holes for all of the components yet. I somehow nailed it on the passenger side the first time. I also have to trim the front and redo 2 of the 3 slots horizontally on the outer fender where it bolts to the grill. I had to do that on the passenger side too. Man, those slots are not even close! Other than that fitment is great on the passenger side and pretty good on the driver. I wish the driver fit as good around the head light area as the passenger side. Oh well. I got tracking on the washer bottle and won't be here till Wed the 9th. If you get yours here soon please post up about it! Hopefully this weekend I can wrap up the fenders and cut and reinstall the stock hood. Next week I can get on the washer bottle and dealing with my rocker rivnut fiasco.
yeah, I think you have to do a little trimming on the inner fenders to make them work. They come plain so you can make any custom cuts you need for your specific jeep and suspension setup. Funny I got the same delivery date on my washer bottle too. I was hoping it would make it a little before then, but I guess I can't get it here any faster.

Glad you got the hood cut down. That's one of the things you really don't won't to screw up since there is no going back after that. Mounting the inner parts is not to bad and i really only had to make a few bracket adjustments to get it all back down. I thought it went too easy, so guessed I must have been screwing something up..my luck

Post up your pics! The more the better for the next guy that's doing this
Unread 10-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #96
Dan69

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I also have to trim the front and redo 2 of the 3 slots horizontally on the outer fender where it bolts to the grill. I had to do that on the passenger side too. Man, those slots are not even close!
Did you loosen up the front body mount bolt and the grill support rods? That lets you move things around to get the fit right. I got mine to line up pretty good doing that and then just snugged everything back down. I also mounted the fenders and then built the inners onto the installed outters after I got them all lined up.
20130824_201058-640x360-.jpg

Unread 10-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #97
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sh_t no! Too late now. Thing is I already had Rokmen hood pins installed so even if I did what you said to line up the fenders my pins would not have lined up with the hood. Wish I would've read the instructions and did the pins at the same time. But oh well. It still looks damn good. I am taking 5 for lunch now. Should have everything done today I think.
Unread 10-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #98
rckchucker
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This is the bottle I used. I got it for like $3 but I can't remember where. It is a Dorman 603-001. It is a coolant bottle but when you cut off the nipple and drill that hole out to 7/8"(? Can't quite remember), the factory pump fits in there nicely. I'll go snap a pic for how I mounted it later. Seems like it holds almost a half gallon. And I was able to fit it with a 5.3, ckma12 arb compressor, horns, charcoal canister, Howe remote reservoir for my power steering...lots of stuff. Things are tight. But they fit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rn...FasRMwodPVgAbg
rckchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #99
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 10-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #100
Dan69

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Looks good! It's nice when you finally get it back together and roll it out of the garage to take a look. You going to paint them or just stay aluminum?
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #101
Dan69

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckchucker View Post
This is the bottle I used. I got it for like $3 but I can't remember where. It is a Dorman 603-001. It is a coolant bottle but when you cut off the nipple and drill that hole out to 7/8"(? Can't quite remember), the factory pump fits in there nicely. I'll go snap a pic for how I mounted it later. Seems like it holds almost a half gallon. And I was able to fit it with a 5.3, ckma12 arb compressor, horns, charcoal canister, Howe remote reservoir for my power steering...lots of stuff. Things are tight. But they fit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rn...FasRMwodPVgAbg
That's a pretty sweet bottle. About the right size to give some mounting options and inexpensive. Washer bottles seem to be the biggest pain when doing the hi-lline fenders. You would think that everyone who makes hi-lines would offer a bottle for sale even to people who don't use their fenders just to have a hard to find product.

Post up some pics of the install if you get a chance. Most of us like to see the different layout options under the hood.
Unread 10-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #102
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I was all about going black but now am really thinking staying raw. Throw on a raw rokmen tailgate, corners, and genright ext flares (stretching in spring) and may look quite nice. Also do the poison spyder hood louver in black and I got a black Savvy rear bumper I have yet to install. Tie the color combo together with some diamond finish racelines. Mmmm...day dreaming. Haha. I'll post pics under hood when I rewire the rats nest of wiring and install the washer bottle. Sort of sloppy now but will finish this week.
Unread 10-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #103
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Dan did you get your washer bottle yet? Mine will be here tomorrow. Post up if so!
Unread 10-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #104
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Got the washer bottle mounted and wired up tonight and works great. I can post pics but honestly want to wait till I wrap up the wiring. It's embarrassingly messy under the hood at the moment.
Unread 10-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #105
Dan69

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Got the washer bottle mounted and wired up tonight and works great. I can post pics but honestly want to wait till I wrap up the wiring. It's embarrassingly messy under the hood at the moment.
I got mine in yesterday, but I don't have time until this weekend to get it mounted up. I really like the bottle. Compact size, no odd shapes and the mounting bracket should make it pretty easy to put on and take off in the future.

Did you mount it on the fender or firewall?

Here is some pics of the bottle for anyone interested in it's size and shape. The Monster Energy can will give you some comparision how small it is when you are working in a tight space.
20131012_092305-360x640-.jpg

20131012_092335-360x640-.jpg

20131012_092356-360x640-.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.