gears - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > gears

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
brockj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

gears

i have a 2003 x model tj, and this maybe a stupid question, im pretty sure i have 3.07 gears. my question is, the gearing is the same front and rear correct? i am looking to buy new gears and want to make sure i need the same for the front and rear. also, how hard is it to change gears?

brockj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yes they have to both be the same.If you have to ask, your better off paying to have it done right.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
catITguy
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yes the front and rear are the same. I havent actually changed gears, but the process and reviews of people whose opinions I trust have me wondering if I should just bite the bullet and let a pro do it.
33x12.5 GoodYear Wrangler Duratracs
catITguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Since you have an auto, you should have 3.73 gears.

Your current gear ratio is important to know so you know what parts are required when buying new gears.

If you have 3.73, you do not need new carriers to regear to a lower axle ratio such as 4.56 or 4.88.

If you somehow have 3.07, you'll need new carriers for both front and rear axles.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockj View Post
also, how hard is it to change gears?
It's a little involved. You dont just bolt them in and go. They have to be "set up" properly or they will burn up in 100 miles or less.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
Eric06Rubi
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris142 View Post
It's a little involved. You dont just bolt them in and go. They have to be "set up" properly or they will burn up in 100 miles or less.
Find some body you know that knows what they're donig to walk you thru it the first time. the education is absolutely priceless. There is also a small investment of some tools you will need to do the gear swap. Those of us who have done it also had to do it the first time. It's not real hard, just a little time consuming.

Good Luck

Eric

It's all fun and games till some guy parks his Jeep on top of your Honda.
Eric06Rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
JOECUE123
2001 TJ Wrangler 

hmmmm.... how much does it cost tools and all assuming that you do the labor yourself? Not including the beer you buy for your instructor?
JOECUE123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gears , ratio , front , rear , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.