Gearing Question - Opinions Wanted - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gearing Question - Opinions Wanted

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-30-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
mrfunnyguyky
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Gearing Question - Opinions Wanted

My 31" tires with 3.07 ratio is killing me! Where is the cheapest place to get quality gears. I would like 4.11's. Ran Yukons in my YJ but they are so expensive everywhere I look. Really want to spend less than $500 on gears, overhaul kit, and a new carrier since mine won't work. I have a d30 and d35. Thanks guys

mrfunnyguyky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 07:20 AM   #2
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Are gears really the place you want to low ball on price. How many miles do you expect them to last you? Do some math and you'll see that with a quality set of gears, properly set up, will end up costing far less than a penny per mile. Things like gears are a long term expense even though it comes out of the pocket in one chunk.
Unread 11-30-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

4 banger axles with 4.10's are the cheapest way.They run about about $500 or less a set around here.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You can do the 4cyl 4.10 axle swap if you're looking for cheap. Or you could cough around $2500 for some Rubicon take offs if you want the D44 rear and lockers.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
Recoil
1988 MJ Comanche 

Yeah is look for 4 banger axles and swap them yourself. It'll be relatively cheap and your sticking with moped parts and setup.

\/ \/ \/
EPIC
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
mrfunnyguyky
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
Are gears really the place you want to low ball on price. How many miles do you expect them to last you? Do some math and you'll see that with a quality set of gears, properly set up, will end up costing far less than a penny per mile. Things like gears are a long term expense even though it comes out of the pocket in one chunk.
I wasn't wanting cheap quality gears, I was wanting some input on where to find the best deals on quality gears. Superior, Yukon, anything else that is of good-decent quality. I didn't think about 4 banger axles, thanks guys. If I cant find a good set of axles I'm still open to website/store suggestions.
Unread 11-30-2010, 10:29 AM   #7
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Are you doing the regear yourself of having a shop do it? If your having a shop do it buy the gears from them, that way if there are problems later they can't blame you for suppling them with crappy gears.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #8
scottbr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Where do you look for gears/axles, anyway?
scottbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbr View Post
Where do you look for gears/axles, anyway?

4x4GroupBuy.Drivetrain

Northridge4x4 Jeep Parts: Axles & Gears

TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #10
mrfunnyguyky
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
Are you doing the regear yourself of having a shop do it? If your having a shop do it buy the gears from them, that way if there are problems later they can't blame you for suppling them with crappy gears.
I was going to have a friend help me do it.
Unread 11-30-2010, 11:36 AM   #11
scottbr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
I meant more like used 4cyl ones.
scottbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 11:44 AM   #12
Dark_onyx1982
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I am in the same situation as the as the original poster. I am running 32" tires and 3.07 with dana 30 & 35. I was looking to upgrade to 3.73. I go into the woods, but nothing extremely crazy and this is my DD. Thanx for sharing pointers on where to look.
Blue Jeep Club Member #357
Dark_onyx1982 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.