Gearing question... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gearing question...

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 01-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
pfifer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Gearing question...

Yes I know there's tons of thread out there with this topic but I felt that none really answered my specific question.

Question:

Well I am tired of my 4.10 and 35 inch tire combination that I put in last June ..and I am looking into re-gearing the right way this time...now I have been thinking 4.56s because I DD it and do a little highway speed every once in a while...but don't want to sacrifice crawling off road or fuel mileage..so I am torn between the 4.56s or 4.88s.

Also I had the D35 upgrade to alloys and a tru trac last year (and I don't want to hear that its a bad axle or don't put money into it...I have faith in my D35 ) in your opinion what would be the best ratio between 4.88s or 4.56s to keep breakage to a min..and I have driven hard with my 4.10s and nothing has every broken in my D35. And I am also in the process of upgrading the D30 up front with alloy x joints and a tru trac.

Long story short...I want the best overall fuel mileage and off road/ on road performance I can get from the Jeep as a DD..while not having to always worry about breakage when i go wheeling every other month.

Thanks!!

Btw it has:

4.0, AX-15, D30/D35 with alloys and TruTrac, and 35x12.5 Mickey Thompsons

pfifer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

4:88's...IMO
Unread 01-07-2010, 04:07 PM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would also suggest 4.88.
Unread 01-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
pfifer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So with the 4.88s my fuel mileage would still be good...(atleast 12 mpg)?

And the D30/D35 would be cool with this gearing?
Unread 01-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

4.88 is going to be the most efficient for 35" tires and will be as good with fuel economy as your Wrangler is capable of.

Be careful though, 35" tires with 27 spline axle shafts even when alloy is a risky combination.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #6
pfifer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
4.88 is going to be the most efficient for 35" tires and will be as good with fuel economy as your Wrangler is capable of.

Be careful though, 35" tires with 27 spline axle shafts even when alloy is a risky combination.
Thanks...I believe I will go with the 4.88s....and yea I know the 27 spline shafts aren't the best but for my budget right now they will have to be as they are...And anyway crawling should be easier on the shafts I would think, than having to always use the gas off road as I do now, right?
Unread 01-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
TJ-L
2004 LJ Wrangler 

4.88 hands down IMO. The difference between the two is about 150 rpm at highway speeds, I can't see that affecting gas mileage enough to worry about. You can calculate it for yourself here:

Gear Ratio Calculator

I would want the slightly lower gears to sling 35's around with.
Unread 01-07-2010, 06:01 PM   #8
robncar
2005 TJ Wrangler 

4.88 would be the ratio of choice for your situation. Re-gear is expensive, do it once.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #9
pfifer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So I could I make the alloy/trutraced D35 or at least the alloy/trutraced D30 last with 4.88s for awhile..I only wheel every other month at most and its a DD...I just think that whats helped save my axles off-road is having the 4.10s..but on the road 4.10s suck...Is the difference in torque going to the shafts a huge gain with 4.88s over the 4.10s?
Unread 01-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
pfifer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

bumppppppppppppp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.