Gearing question.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gearing question....

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 09-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
mmini1990
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Gearing question....

I'm going to be running 35s on my stock rubi gears. 4.10s. I'm wondering what to expect, like if it will drive like dog **** or can I manage till I swap to 4.88s. Thanks guys!

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/oth-build-my-03-rubi-1388971/[/url]

There are other ways of adding belly clearance without lifting your vehicle off the axles...like 40s, 42s, 44s, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike481
My jeep is magic...it can make all my money disappear.

that's not magic, that's standard operating procedure

"i dont understand why jeep made doors and tops an option, getting cought bare assed, pants around your ankels in a hail storm is half the fun of owning this *****"
mmini1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
RWKHausSupply
1990 XJ Cherokee 

it wont be that bad.

But if you have a manual trans, you will have to slip the clutch a bit more for take off every time you stop. SO a regear not only gets you a lil better MPG, but is more fun to drive, easier to drive, and better on the engine, but also can help save the clutch from premature wear.
RWKHausSupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You will be able to tool around on 4.10's well enough.
The PO of my Jeep and myself drove around on 35" tires with 3.07 gears for years before switching to 4.88's.
Having a manual transmission helps a lot.
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
Zombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
mmini1990
2003 TJ Wrangler 

So how much would a regear set me back.. Like do I need the install kits and junk like that? Or can I just get the ring and pinion for the front and rear and toss it on in?

There are other ways of adding belly clearance without lifting your vehicle off the axles...like 40s, 42s, 44s, etc

Quote:

"i dont understand why jeep made doors and tops an option, getting cought bare assed, pants around your ankels in a hail storm is half the fun of owning this *****"
Unread 09-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmini1990 View Post
So how much would a regear set me back.. Like do I need the install kits and junk like that? Or can I just get the ring and pinion for the front and rear and toss it on in?
Do it right and get the master install kits. Price is going to depend on which brands/quality tier you choose.
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
Unread 09-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
RWKHausSupply
1990 XJ Cherokee 

right is the WRONG words to use and typically are said by those that have been told bogus info by a shop that doesnt do many gear setups.

If you have 110-120k or more miles I would recommend a master kit for the rear. If your at under 75K its a Waste of money typically. The front typically will have very lil wear on the bearings if it was mostly a daily driver and less then 140K.

BUT it all comes down to the install. IF during the install, a true diff shop can evaluate the bearings and mostly the races, to determine if new bearings should be installed.

Most off road shops that only do a handful of diffs a year, dont have either the correct tools to save every bearing everytime, from damage when removing them so they make you just pony up to buy new ones (master install kit) or they just figure you have to have one, because thier shop foreman tells him they have to have one.
RWKHausSupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
mmini1990
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well I'm only at 50,000 miles. So i hope I'm good lol

Quote:

Unread 09-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

This is just my opinion on re-using bearings, I am not an advocate.
With as involved as a re-gear is, I am of the opinion you owe it to yourself to replace the wear parts in there.
I assume you will be paying a shop to do the work, up here shop labor is about $80-120/hr.

RockAuto has those bearings listed with a max price of $32/each.
4 bearings in each differential = $256 worth of bearings to replace all of them, less if I spent time to break down which ones are carrier bearings etc.
If those re-used bearings turn to junk shortly after being installed you're going to be out the $256 plus whatever shop rate is to install them.

Even if you're able to re-use those bearings successfully, think of it this way, your brandy new gears which have 0 miles on them essentially now have 50k less miles before you need to get back into the pumpkin.

I'm not trying to start crap here I'm offering a different perspective. If you want to take a $600+ dollar gamble to save $250 that's your choice, but IMHO, the risk/reward ratio doesn't make sense.
Unread 09-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
F9K9
Semper Fi!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I dunno what others think but, I can get master rebuild kits all day long for under $150. The bearings and races are Timken. That's the route I go. I even did it when installing ARBs and they come with their own carrier bearings and races. I've got four new carrier bearings if, someone is in need.

'03 Rubicon w/a few changes.
F9K9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.