Gear hum after install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gear hum after install

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 04-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Roodki
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Gear hum after install

I just had Alloy usa 4.88's installed in my TJ, d30 and d44 by someone who I work with who has set up many gears on his 4x4's and race cars, but it seems to have a slight howl when decelerating. Not too loud, but I can hear it. I have driven the thing about 50 miles home from his place. Is this normal? If not can this be readjusted?

Thanks

Unread 04-28-2013, 11:51 PM   #2
DallastheJeeper

2006 LJ Wrangler 

The biggest difference between expensive gears and cheap gears is how precisely/smoothly machined they are. Alloy usa are cheap gears so they will make more noise than the well machines oe spicer gears. A slight howl is normal but I am not hearing it over the internet. If its loud definitely check the lash on both and if you have a scope peak in and check on the gears. Me and and a few of my buddies have installed many sets of usa standard gears which are also cheap and they do make noise but its not really loud.
|____________________/||__/----|
|(@)(@)"""""""""""|(@) (@)***|(@)

#5-06 Salvage Rebuild LJ
Metalcloak Bumper, Overline fenders and Corner guards.
3.5" Sus Lift
1'' Body lift and engine lift

#4-98 TJ Sahara RIP :(
#3-42 GPW Project. Currently on hold Sand blasted the body and it was held together by screen and bondo so new Tub needed
#2-88 Comanche Currently getting a frame off rebuild and a 4bt.
#1-1994 Power Wheels Wrangler
DallastheJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 11:56 PM   #3
cavscout187
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Check how deep the pinion is set not just lash if its to deep the can howl pretty laud
cavscout187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 05:05 AM   #4
Roodki
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah, it is pretty slight. With the radio on quietly it is unnoticeable. I just want to make sure it is not going to get worse.
Unread 04-29-2013, 05:27 AM   #5
cavscout187
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If its set wrong they can wear faster and get laud
cavscout187 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.