Gear Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gear Help

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-01-2010, 05:58 AM   #1
saharaTJ7638
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Gear Help

I am re gearing my tj with the 3spd auto for 35's. I also tow a boat that weighs about 1500lbs. I guess the question I have Is what gears do I need, and what mileage increase will I get from the gear change?

My current setup is 3.73's with a 5.5" lift and 33's. Currently I get 12mpg and it really dislikes pulling the boat. The jeep has absolutly no balls when pulling and a over all sluggish feling.

I was thinking of going with 4.88's but I dont know if that will be over kill with the 3 spd. I will be running the 33's untill I get my tax return in febuary and buy a new set of tires. Also I want gears that will be DD friendly and not eat my gas as i have to drive to work everyday.

eugenethejeep: my mom was in here talking and being weird lol. i don't think her seeing us talk about cat tacos would be appropriate
35's and a lift kit how stuck can you get? - Justin Moore
saharaTJ7638 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
saharaTJ7638
2002 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the help this forum is almost useless. AND YES I ****ING SEARCHED AND DID NOT FIND WHAT I WANTED!
eugenethejeep: my mom was in here talking and being weird lol. i don't think her seeing us talk about cat tacos would be appropriate
35's and a lift kit how stuck can you get? - Justin Moore
saharaTJ7638 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Easy buddy, it was a holiday weekend.

I would go with 4.56.

I used to run the 32RH 3 spd auto with 4.56 gears and I ran this combo with both 33" and 35" tires. I thought it worked pretty well.

4.88 is a little too low for the 3 speed auto until you get up to 37" tires or so.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
4.88 is a little too low for the 3 speed auto until you get up to 37" tires or so.
definitely. i had 4.88s for about two months with 35s when i had my 32RH. it was great for driving around town, but i was turning 3k at 60. the 4.88s effortlessly turned the 35s no problem. but the 32RH doesnt have an overdrive. and that kills gas mileage. go 4.56.
Unread 07-07-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

4:56 gears for you...

Tags
regear , regeaing , suggestions , help , towing , 33 , 3 speed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.