Gear Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gear Help

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-01-2010, 05:58 AM   #1
saharaTJ7638
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Gear Help

I am re gearing my tj with the 3spd auto for 35's. I also tow a boat that weighs about 1500lbs. I guess the question I have Is what gears do I need, and what mileage increase will I get from the gear change?

My current setup is 3.73's with a 5.5" lift and 33's. Currently I get 12mpg and it really dislikes pulling the boat. The jeep has absolutly no balls when pulling and a over all sluggish feling.

I was thinking of going with 4.88's but I dont know if that will be over kill with the 3 spd. I will be running the 33's untill I get my tax return in febuary and buy a new set of tires. Also I want gears that will be DD friendly and not eat my gas as i have to drive to work everyday.

eugenethejeep: my mom was in here talking and being weird lol. i don't think her seeing us talk about cat tacos would be appropriate
35's and a lift kit how stuck can you get? - Justin Moore
saharaTJ7638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
saharaTJ7638
2002 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the help this forum is almost useless. AND YES I ****ING SEARCHED AND DID NOT FIND WHAT I WANTED!
eugenethejeep: my mom was in here talking and being weird lol. i don't think her seeing us talk about cat tacos would be appropriate
35's and a lift kit how stuck can you get? - Justin Moore
saharaTJ7638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Easy buddy, it was a holiday weekend.

I would go with 4.56.

I used to run the 32RH 3 spd auto with 4.56 gears and I ran this combo with both 33" and 35" tires. I thought it worked pretty well.

4.88 is a little too low for the 3 speed auto until you get up to 37" tires or so.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
4.88 is a little too low for the 3 speed auto until you get up to 37" tires or so.
definitely. i had 4.88s for about two months with 35s when i had my 32RH. it was great for driving around town, but i was turning 3k at 60. the 4.88s effortlessly turned the 35s no problem. but the 32RH doesnt have an overdrive. and that kills gas mileage. go 4.56.
Unread 07-07-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

4:56 gears for you...

Tags
regear , regeaing , suggestions , help , towing , 33 , 3 speed

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.