Gauge Cluster LED Install - Page 71 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gauge Cluster LED Install

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 09-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #1051
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My red on the HVAC shows very red. The dash is dull purple/red

Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #1052
KountryKid
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i orderd the LEDs you linked me to, but i dont believe they will work with mine
KountryKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #1053
vtx531
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I got some LEDs on ebay. One of them recently started flickering. I pull the dash out and all of them are burned/melted through the plastic housing and the flickering one was melted so bad that internally a wire came undone.

MY JEEP
vtx531 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #1054
angelsfanbp
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have some extra leds from my install. $10 for 5 leds which is half of what I paid. PM me.
angelsfanbp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2012, 06:27 AM   #1055
AussieJeeper88
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So this is my first post, so forgive me for being ignorant and doing it wrong, i.e. wrong section.

The question was asked earlier whether you can replace or change the colours of the lights in the stock cd player, then people just went on to say what stereo they had. So wondering, can it be done?

By the way great write up, I've only done the cluster but it looks awesome cheers.
AussieJeeper88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #1056
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The illumination in the stereo display I believe is soldered to the boards. It depends on what color you are trying to change it to. I did see a post somewhere where the person did take apart the stereo and colored the bulb(s) with a red marker and it did illuminate red
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #1057
AussieJeeper88
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Oh Ok, I have blue LED's in the dash so would be looking to do the same colour, I suppose a Blue permanent marker might work, but the lights would already have a green tinge to them so might come out some horrible purple colour. Now i guess I'll just have to find how to take apart the stereo. Cheers
AussieJeeper88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #1058
Cavasar
No Longer DD

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well I went for the cheaper version of Orange LEDs cause they were on sale for $0.99 a pair. I kinda wish I'd gone with the brighter ones, but for $6 I am happy. (sorry for bad pics)

HVAC (you can see the cut in my sticker for selecting where the air blows out from the person that broke in and ran a knife across it)
Cavasar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #1059
4banged
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I installed the hd red ones in cluster on my 03 and they look good but I do have a few hot spots. Seems like the bulbs shine whiter straight ahead and more red to the sides. Overall happy but not perfect.
4banged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #1060
Matt Graham
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Here is my experience with swapping out the factory bulbs with the LED's in the instrument cluster, climate control, and rear wiper/defrost switches...

I ordered these from www.superbrightleds.com :

---------- PRODUCT INFORMATION ----------

Qty | Product / Options | Price/ea |
================================================== ==========
5 | NEOx-xHP: NEOx LED Bulb - High Power Instrument Panel LED| $ 2.29 |
NEO4-WHP: 4mm NEO4-xHP Cool White
------------------------------------------------------------
5 | 74-xHP3: 74 LED Bulb - 3 SMD LED Wide Angle Wedge Base| $ 3.49 |
74-CWHP3: Cool White

SUBTOTAL: 28.90
SHIPPING: 2.99 USPS - 1st Class (Estimated)
TOTAL: 31.89

The swap was pretty easy and only took about 30 minutes or so. Here is the before picture of the instrument cluster. The bulb at the temp. guage was burned out:

When I first got everything swapped and turned on the lights it was VERY bright, except in front of the temp. guage:

I decided to try turning the bulb around in the reverse direction from how I first put it in and that fixed the problem perfectly. Here it is after that:

This is when the dimmer is all the way down, just a little less intense:

So it did only take 5 bulbs and I'm very happy with the 3 SMD LED Wide Angle Wedge Base bulbs in cool white.

There was another bulb in the middle of the cluster that I believe is in front of either the seatbelt bulb or blinker bulb. It was different than the rest because the bulb was in a black plastic holder instead of brown like the rest:

Next up was to replace the bulbs for the climate control. They were all 3 previously burned out so here is my before photo:

Here are the High Power Neo4's in cool white: (3 are for the climate control, the other two are for the rear wiper & defrost switches)

Here is the after photo:

SWITCHING BULBS IN THE WIPER / DEFROST SWITCHES

BEFORE (left) AFTER (right)

When I removed the switches to replace those bulbs I discovered at the top of one of the switches there was a bulb that was not a NEO4, I'm guessing it was NEO3 (in the white circle below). I believe that bulb is the indicator bulb that lights up behind the amber colored lense to show when the rear defrost is on.

But if you flip it over on the other side is a NEO4 bulb so I swapped the LED into that spot.

I don't really feel like switching that bulb is necessary. So the 2 NEO4's worked perfectly and did what I was hoping they would. A much cleaner and brighter light.

So if you have a 2001 TJ, or a TJ with the knob-style climate control, here is what you need and what it costs from www.superbrightleds.com :

SUBTOTAL: 28.90
SHIPPING: 2.99 USPS - 1st Class (Estimated)
TOTAL: 31.89

Definitely worth it...Now I can't wait to swap out the bulbs that light the floorboard and the interior light in the soundbar.
Unread 10-09-2012, 07:50 AM   #1061
Cherokid
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieJeeper88 View Post
So this is my first post, so forgive me for being ignorant and doing it wrong, i.e. wrong section.

The question was asked earlier whether you can replace or change the colours of the lights in the stock cd player, then people just went on to say what stereo they had. So wondering, can it be done?

By the way great write up, I've only done the cluster but it looks awesome cheers.
I have a Pioneer DEH-6400BT

Another one of those, "I have a ... head unit" but I mention it because you can adjust the colour to just about anything. (I think mine has three shades of blue available all adjustable from the face plate.) It's relative inexpensive at $139.99, has all kinds of features and sounds good. I'm sure there are others as well with adjustable colours so if you don't mind spending a couple of bucks and time that may be another option. (Plus if later you want to change dash colours again it would be easy to match up the stereo.)
Good Wheelin' to ya!

Cherokid

Update: I went down and checked, 11 shades of blue available. ('cos it's one better than ten I suppose.)
Cherokid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #1062
Deacon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Graham View Post
So if you have a 2001 TJ, or a TJ with the knob-style climate control, here is what you need and what it costs from www.superbrightleds.com :

Well done. Thanks!
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #1063
4x4Mudmonster
1985 CJ7 

I was so excited to see my package in my mail box today!! I immediately put the gauge LEDs in (cool white...and they look FANTASTIC!!) And then went to the climate control. I got it all apart and then I saw that I had the wrong LEDs ...now I gotta buy the right ones...well first find the right ones for it (1997 TJ)! lol
Unread 10-27-2012, 05:51 AM   #1064
wwch99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

^Same ones as your gauges 74xhp
wwch99tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #1065
jmp79

I'm wanting to change mine but positive on colorant one have pics that they could post?
jmp79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.