Gauge Cluster LED Install - Page 70 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gauge Cluster LED Install

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 07-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #1036
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Note, for those with 03+, the needles are orange and with the blue leds, they are dull purple and not that easy to see 97-02 have white needles. I recently did mine white and now they glow bright blue. I pulled the needles off and the color is on the backside which I scraped off with a razor then paited white with a paint pen. I also took the orange off the center circular part and did not do it white. Too difficult to get looking sharp. There is also a tiny bit of the top of the needle that needs to be painted black. There is a tiny section of orange on the back that is difficult to get to.

Taking the needles off was no big deal. Turn the engine on an take a picture of where they are at (do it when cold otherwise the temp gauge may change on you). They pull straight off or a fork will help pry. Push them back on per the picture. The speedo, I did while driving against a GPS

Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #1037
JDEEEWP
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1997tjwrangler View Post
I'm really considering doing this, but I'm not sure which color. Has anyone used green LEDs yet. Would like to see those. I noticed that the colored ones make the cluster darker and harder to see in areas that are supposed to be red like at the high end of the tach. I'm worried that green LEDs would look funny in those areas. The white LEDs seem to brighten it the most I guess because there are no conflicting colors.

When selecting a color keep in mind the tint on the gauge overlays will filter all light but the color it appears. for example red will filter out all but red. this is why red areas are dim with a blue light source. There is no red light coming from the LED so you don't see much in these area.
This is why i went with White LED'. it has an electric white look to it. and you can see all the markings on the gagues.

For those looking for blue on the HVAC controls I HIGHLY RECOMMEND USING WHITE LED'S. There is blue tinting in the overlays to make the yellow stock bulbs appear slightly green. when you go with white, you get blue overlays and can still see the red on the heat adjustment! (this is also why they never match the gauges) i accedentally discovered this on my '01 when attempting a white install.

and for my next trick, i am going to go with a 3 color LED, so i can adjust color with a couple of variable resistors.
Unread 07-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #1038
smoan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nice, i started mountain biking about a year ago and i have a cannondale trail sl2 29er
smoan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #1039
skip11and1
2013 MK Patriot 

How simple, thanks man!
2005 WK, v6 QT1 (girlfriends)
skip11and1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #1040
chachi44089
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ordered red for my 04 TJ. Here are the same bulbs as v-leds at much less. Has the same inverted cone design.. $2.54 for ten with free shipping..
chachi44089 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2012, 06:39 AM   #1041
KountryKid
1997 TJ Wrangler 

where did you order the LEDs from?
KountryKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #1042
chachi44089
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KountryKid View Post
where did you order the LEDs from?
Sorry, forgot to add link.. He has different colors too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200813577644...84.m1439.l2649
chachi44089 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #1043
9heep7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Does the angle of the light emitted make a difference? I want a uniform light across all he gauges instead of "bright spots" where the bulbs go
9heep7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #1044
jpin321
2013 JK Wrangler 

I just did blue, and as others have started here the needles are hard to see. Has anyone tried green? My jeep is electric lime green and i think matching gauges would be sweet.
Unread 09-11-2012, 04:09 AM   #1045
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpin321 View Post
I just did blue, and as others have started here the needles are hard to see. Has anyone tried green? My jeep is electric lime green and i think matching gauges would be sweet.

Note, for those with 03+, the needles are orange and with the blue leds, they are dull purple and not that easy to see 97-02 have white needles. I recently did mine white and now they glow bright blue. I pulled the needles off and the color is on the backside which I scraped off with a razor then paited white with a paint pen. I also took the orange off the center circular part and did not do it white. Too difficult to get looking sharp. There is also a tiny bit of the top of the needle that needs to be painted black. There is a tiny section of orange on the back that is difficult to get to.

Taking the needles off was no big deal. Turn the engine on an take a picture of where they are at (do it when cold otherwise the temp gauge may change on you). They pull straight off or a fork will help pry. Push them back on per the picture. The speedo, I did while driving against a GPS
Unread 09-11-2012, 06:24 AM   #1046
jpin321
2013 JK Wrangler 

^^ This doesn't really answer my question. I saw you post while reading through this thread. I don't want to remove needles and all that i can see mine well enough. I want to know what green looks like. Was wondering if someone had pics.
Unread 09-11-2012, 06:32 AM   #1047
Tmblack3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDEEEWP

When selecting a color keep in mind the tint on the gauge overlays will filter all light but the color it appears. for example red will filter out all but red. this is why red areas are dim with a blue light source. There is no red light coming from the LED so you don't see much in these area.
This is why i went with White LED'. it has an electric white look to it. and you can see all the markings on the gagues.

For those looking for blue on the HVAC controls I HIGHLY RECOMMEND USING WHITE LED'S. There is blue tinting in the overlays to make the yellow stock bulbs appear slightly green. when you go with white, you get blue overlays and can still see the red on the heat adjustment! (this is also why they never match the gauges) i accedentally discovered this on my '01 when attempting a white install.

and for my next trick, i am going to go with a 3 color LED, so i can adjust color with a couple of variable resistors.
I put blue ones in my tj that are a very bold blue and match my sony head unit's blue lights perfectly and my AC cluster is blue but is closer to teal because of the tint on the panel. So if i put in white LEDs are you saying it will be a bright and bold blue like those?
04 TJ Sport- Kicker System, Smittybilt XRC-8 Winch, Cherry Bomb 18" Glasspack, 3" Zone Hydro Suspension Lift, 33x12.50 BFG KM2, 15x8 Procomp 7069, Aussie Locker front Dana 30, JKS 1.25" Body Lift, 4 100w Hella 500s
Tmblack3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #1048
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpin321 View Post
^^ This doesn't really answer my question. I saw you post while reading through this thread. I don't want to remove needles and all that i can see mine well enough. I want to know what green looks like. Was wondering if someone had pics.
Ok sorry. You said they were dull so I was trying to answer that.

Green here in this thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ga...37/index6.html

and here

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ga...7/index34.html

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/instrument-panel-lights-blue-leds-80074-2.html
Unread 09-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #1049
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmblack3 View Post
I put blue ones in my tj that are a very bold blue and match my sony head unit's blue lights perfectly and my AC cluster is blue but is closer to teal because of the tint on the panel. So if i put in white LEDs are you saying it will be a bright and bold blue like those?
I have blue leds in the HVAC and mine is very bright blue. I forget which ones I used but I believe they were whichever were the highest power. Yes if you look back through this thread, there are pictures of white bulbs in the HVAC and they shine blue, though I don't know if it will match the dash. (mine does)
Unread 09-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #1050
goolsbayjeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil F.

I have blue leds in the HVAC and mine is very bright blue. I forget which ones I used but I believe they were whichever were the highest power. Yes if you look back through this thread, there are pictures of white bulbs in the HVAC and they shine blue, though I don't know if it will match the dash. (mine does)
Pics? What does it to the red tint for the heat side
goolsbayjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.