Gauge Cluster LED Install - Page 69 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gauge Cluster LED Install

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #1021
wwch99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I read in another forum that you need 7 of the 74 xhp for the cluster and slider controls on the 97 and 98. So you will need 5 for cluster and 2 for the hvac slider

wwch99tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #1022
price97

I got it working this morning. Thanks for the help
price97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #1023
shatteredsoul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just ordered 7 blue LEDS from superbrightleds.com to replace my instrument cluster as well as my heater control in my 98 TJ. The cluster worked fine however the heater control LEDS started to smoke as soon as I turned on the parking lights.

I swapped out the smoking LEDS with 2 stockers from the instrument just to make sure that there wasnt a difference in the bulbs from the cluster to the heater control. The factory bulbs from the cluster work just fine in the heater control so its not that. The only thing I can think is the twist in holders are a little different in height from the cluster to the control causing he metal to touch and instantly burning up the LEDS.

I called superbright about my situation and the guy on the phone also thinks that the twist in holders are different. He is sending me a total of 4 LEDS as well as 2 new twist in holders to try and figure it out. I have nothing but great things to say about superbrights customer service, he actually stayed past his time to leave just to try and help me out, you just dont get this type of service from most companies and to beat it all its Friday!!

I will post my new results as soon as I get the replacemens in to try out. Im super happy with the LEDS in the cluster, they are super bright and a drastic improvement over the factory bulbs. The part #s I ordered were the 3 LED in blue 74-BHP3.

Be careful if you are doing this mod on a 98 TJ with all 7 bulbs #74, there is some kind of difference in the twist in bulb holders in the heater/AC control.
shatteredsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #1024
p3dr0jeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Which bulb is that?
p3dr0jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #1025
DerekXJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatteredsoul
I just ordered 7 blue LEDS from superbrightleds.com to replace my instrument cluster as well as my heater control in my 98 TJ. The cluster worked fine however the heater control LEDS started to smoke as soon as I turned on the parking lights.

I swapped out the smoking LEDS with 2 stockers from the instrument just to make sure that there wasnt a difference in the bulbs from the cluster to the heater control. The factory bulbs from the cluster work just fine in the heater control so its not that. The only thing I can think is the twist in holders are a little different in height from the cluster to the control causing he metal to touch and instantly burning up the LEDS.

I called superbright about my situation and the guy on the phone also thinks that the twist in holders are different. He is sending me a total of 4 LEDS as well as 2 new twist in holders to try and figure it out. I have nothing but great things to say about superbrights customer service, he actually stayed past his time to leave just to try and help me out, you just dont get this type of service from most companies and to beat it all its Friday!!

I will post my new results as soon as I get the replacemens in to try out. Im super happy with the LEDS in the cluster, they are super bright and a drastic improvement over the factory bulbs. The part #s I ordered were the 3 LED in blue 74-BHP3.

Be careful if you are doing this mod on a 98 TJ with all 7 bulbs #74, there is some kind of difference in the twist in bulb holders in the heater/AC control.
so your AC controlls are the sliders like my 97?? which is the exact bulb number you ordered for the ac controlls and how many ? 2 or 3? thanks!
Unread 03-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #1026
shatteredsoul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

DerekXJ- My 98 also has the same slider style heat/ac control. It has 2 bulbs in it, I replaced those with part # 74-BHP3 ( the B stands for blue). Of course they both burned up as soon as I turned on my parking lights.

I should have the replacements from superbright on Wednesday and I hope to swap them out after work. I will post my results as soon as I have them in whether they are working or not.
shatteredsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #1027
1997tjwrangler
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm really considering doing this, but I'm not sure which color. Has anyone used green LEDs yet. Would like to see those. I noticed that the colored ones make the cluster darker and harder to see in areas that are supposed to be red like at the high end of the tach. I'm worried that green LEDs would look funny in those areas. The white LEDs seem to brighten it the most I guess because there are no conflicting colors.
1997tjwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #1028
smoan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I did green on the gauges and the hvac I'll get a pic
smoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #1029
tkerch91
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I did green looks great no problems seeing it at all!
Unread 07-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #1030
smoan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I like them a lot if your thinking u want green do it. Then high ends of the gauges just are in like a darker shade of green and it looks fine.
image-1214636163.jpg   image-3703854180.jpg  
Unread 07-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #1031
starfan_9
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Did you use the tri LEDs or the single LEDs for the green?

The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced.

If you ever become a mother, can I have one of the puppies?

My mountain bike cost more then some of y'alls Jeeps
starfan_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #1032
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Single blue leds in the dash here, gotta order some of the little ones to make the hvac blue.

Unread 07-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #1033
smoan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i used the single leds. what kind of bike do u have?
Unread 07-11-2012, 03:34 AM   #1034
starfan_9
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have a Giant Anthem X2 upgraded everything and a Specialized Allez, you ride?

The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced.

If you ever become a mother, can I have one of the puppies?

My mountain bike cost more then some of y'alls Jeeps
starfan_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 06:06 AM   #1035
wwch99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I did blue single led
You can't really see the red

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL
wwch99tj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.