Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Gauge Cluster LED Install

384K views 1K replies 341 participants last post by  Neil F. 
#1 ·
Well today i got bored and being that it was my second time opening up my gauge cluster for LED's i decided what the heck and let me make a really detailed write up for those who may care and might look for how to do this in the future. Well as i said its really detailed and very simple.. i was bored but it will help those who never did it before..

Here it goes. ..

I ordered my LEDs from a company called V-LEDs.com, i will put an exact link to the bulbs you will need for this conversion from stock to LED and you have the choice of which color to choose. I would like to say that this company is really amazing and has really good customer service, i had a problem and without delay they fixed the problem. So order from them because they are really good and priced well (i think).

For this you will need a knife to open the new bulb packages and a phillips screwdriver, and to unscrew the top screws you can either use a stubby phillips or a 1/4 in socket on a small ratchet like i did.. and one more thing is if you have a small needle nose pliers you can use it too.. Oh and gloves if your like me and cut yourself every five seconds..

Order HERE and choose color.. (youll need only 5 but they come in pairs)

MORE BELOW….

See less See more
#2 ·
Continued..

Now do everything reverse and replace everything in the order you removed them.. But wait before you jump to that, test the gauge cluster to see if all the bulbs you put in work well and correctly. if they fail, remove and flip over.. when testing just put cluster back into sockets and pull light knob one click and make sure its all lit up.
And then you have your end result.. if it looks like mine you did a good job. now pat yourself on the back since you've just accomplished a mighty hard task. :cheers:

Enjoy it. :2thumbsup:

#4 ·
There ya go!! thats the jeepin attitude!
good luck with it, Oh btw i also threw in two of the same LEDs into the a/c-Heat control knobs and came up with this.. and they are the same bulbs since you wanted to know...

I wonder if i can change the bulbs in my stock cd player since those are the only green ones left.. although i do need a new head unit ;) maybe ill go for one that puts out blue for the blue theme... lol

#7 ·
Are these the ones you ordered?

2 V-LEDS 3 SMT BLUE WEDGE BASE DASH LIGHT BULBS 37 74
So I actually have those in there now but they are not necesary and rather do no not make it any brightr.. I'd suggest getting the cheaper ones because of that reason (your not getting anything more for your money)

#13 ·
I recently just put in a pioneer premier deck. It is very clean with the blue back lighting to it. so that would be another good option, you can find it at the pioneer website. The prices vary, and the premier models give you a 2-year warranty, which most only give you 1. Also note the prices on the website are quite inflated, that a $270 list on the website is about $220 in the shop. Just another helpful hint.

#325 ·
oh wait dude... DUAL from walmart sells a blue player for $50.00 mine skipped a bit but it was prob. just mine bc I suck with electronics... check it out haha

anyway I ordered white ones from that site and shipped it today same day not bad...
Hate to disappoint you, but the DUAL brand is really crappy. A decent cheap brand would be Kenwood or a lower end Pioneer.

#29 ·
when you have the dash apart, there are 2 screws at the top near the tray. then just pull the plastic housing back (there are like 4 clips iirc). there will be 4 screws holding the hvac on. the hvac on non sliders have a green tint built into the faceplate so don't no how well the led's would work with it.

Dude, you are awesome. I have been putting this off just cause I was too lazy to search threads on what to get and how to. But you make me wanna get off my butt and do it already. Quick question, does your dim function work well?
the dim function worked well on my 04.

yes, get the cheapest ones, they all do the same thing!
not true. get the tri led ones, the single led ones are not that bright.

do you think those would work on a 2003 dash? Also, how can I change my heater controls to match that!
yes. see above.

#26 ·
Neat write up, thanks!

#33 ·
WOW been out for two days... missed so many replies..

about the bulbs, i have the tri LED and it is no brighter so i say get the cheaper but then again its your call. get them if you please.

for the HVAC im assuming its the same for the 03+ just replace the bulbs in the back.. no biggy,

Thank you 'Jackbauersmom" for covering me while i was out. lol

and thanks for all the compliments.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.