Gauge Cluster LED Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gauge Cluster LED Install

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 04-13-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
MisterO

Gauge Cluster LED Install

Well today i got bored and being that it was my second time opening up my gauge cluster for LED's i decided what the heck and let me make a really detailed write up for those who may care and might look for how to do this in the future. Well as i said its really detailed and very simple.. i was bored but it will help those who never did it before..

Here it goes. ..

I ordered my LEDs from a company called V-LEDs.com, i will put an exact link to the bulbs you will need for this conversion from stock to LED and you have the choice of which color to choose. I would like to say that this company is really amazing and has really good customer service, i had a problem and without delay they fixed the problem. So order from them because they are really good and priced well (i think).

For this you will need a knife to open the new bulb packages and a phillips screwdriver, and to unscrew the top screws you can either use a stubby phillips or a 1/4 in socket on a small ratchet like i did.. and one more thing is if you have a small needle nose pliers you can use it too.. Oh and gloves if your like me and cut yourself every five seconds..

Order HERE and choose color.. (youll need only 5 but they come in pairs)

MORE BELOW….

MisterO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
MisterO

Continued..

Now do everything reverse and replace everything in the order you removed them.. But wait before you jump to that, test the gauge cluster to see if all the bulbs you put in work well and correctly. if they fail, remove and flip over.. when testing just put cluster back into sockets and pull light knob one click and make sure its all lit up.
And then you have your end result.. if it looks like mine you did a good job. now pat yourself on the back since you've just accomplished a mighty hard task.

Enjoy it.
Unread 04-14-2009, 10:43 AM   #3
flexsaharatj
2010 JK Wrangler 

hey... nice write up man I'll def. have to do this... my new deck has nice bright white led lights and the cluster looks like crappy dull white... time to make it led white thanks bro!!

Firefighters Jeep Club
flexsaharatj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
MisterO

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexsaharatj View Post
hey... nice write up man I'll def. have to do this... my new deck has nice bright white led lights and the cluster looks like crappy dull white... time to make it led white thanks bro!!
There ya go!! thats the jeepin attitude!
good luck with it, Oh btw i also threw in two of the same LEDs into the a/c-Heat control knobs and came up with this.. and they are the same bulbs since you wanted to know...

I wonder if i can change the bulbs in my stock cd player since those are the only green ones left.. although i do need a new head unit maybe ill go for one that puts out blue for the blue theme... lol
Unread 04-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
flexsaharatj
2010 JK Wrangler 

oh awesome I needed new bulbs for that too haha sweet thanks!

Firefighters Jeep Club
Unread 04-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #6
MarshallUJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Are these the ones you ordered?

2 V-LEDS 3 SMT BLUE WEDGE BASE DASH LIGHT BULBS 37 74
MarshallUJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
MisterO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallUJeep View Post
Are these the ones you ordered?

2 V-LEDS 3 SMT BLUE WEDGE BASE DASH LIGHT BULBS 37 74
So I actually have those in there now but they are not necesary and rather do no not make it any brightr.. I'd suggest getting the cheaper ones because of that reason (your not getting anything more for your money)
Unread 04-14-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
Contra
1997 TJ Wrangler 

my Alpine can go all blue...that is a nice idea to look at...
Unread 04-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #9
MisterO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contra View Post
my Alpine can go all blue...that is a nice idea to look at...
is it a good head unit?? im lookin for a new one...
Unread 04-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #10
Bodazapha
2006 TJ Wrangler 

This is a great write up and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.
Bodazapha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2009, 03:30 PM   #11
MisterO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodazapha View Post
This is a great write up and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.
Your very welcome,, Im glad i can help someone.
Unread 04-14-2009, 03:45 PM   #12
Oregun
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97TJdriver View Post
I wonder if i can change the bulbs in my stock cd player since those are the only green ones left.. although i do need a new head unit maybe ill go for one that puts out blue for the blue theme... lol
I bought a Sony, only because there was already a sony in mine so I saved a few pennies on the new harness I would of had to buy if I switched manufacturers. This is the one I bought, purely for the iPod controls and clean design: CDX-GT620IP

It's a nice unit and the only one I can vouch for. It is also close to the same blue LED's you used, which is probably what I will be doing here soon. Good write-up
Oregun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #13
jeeperz22
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I recently just put in a pioneer premier deck. It is very clean with the blue back lighting to it. so that would be another good option, you can find it at the pioneer website. The prices vary, and the premier models give you a 2-year warranty, which most only give you 1. Also note the prices on the website are quite inflated, that a $270 list on the website is about $220 in the shop. Just another helpful hint.
jeeperz22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2009, 04:34 PM   #14
flexsaharatj
2010 JK Wrangler 

oh wait dude... DUAL from walmart sells a blue player for $50.00 mine skipped a bit but it was prob. just mine bc I suck with electronics... check it out haha

anyway I ordered white ones from that site and shipped it today same day not bad...

Firefighters Jeep Club
Unread 04-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #15
TJQ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for posting. Another thing to add to "the list".
TJQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.