Gas tank will not fill all the way - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gas tank will not fill all the way

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 01-08-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
abadjay
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Gas tank will not fill all the way

I have had this problem since i got my jeep. it dose not bother me too much but i want to see if there is a fix for this. my jeep will never take a full tank of gas... i mean it would, but it would take a half hour to pump it.

when i pump gas real fast it will put about 10gallons of gas in (or less) then the pump will automatically shut off, and i gotta pump VERY slow, or wait a min, then continue to pump. sometimes if Im not paying attention ill find gas pouring out of the filler hole, but the tank is still not full, because if i wait a minute i can pump more. what the heck!

my gauge is also off but i know thats a jeep thing... and i understand. the gauge may say full but in about 5 miles it will say 3/4th, then it will steadily go down (like its working properly) where do you find the contacts to clean on the gauge? can someone point me to a how to or some pretty pictures?

Uban off roading in Pittsburgh, Pa!
abadjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2007, 02:41 PM   #2
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

check for pinched line
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2007, 02:44 PM   #3
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

do you have the 15 or 19-gal tank? If you've got the 15 gal tank it doesnt sound like anything unusual. When the needle hits the red-zone, there is still ~5 gallons in the tank. So 10-gallons seems reasonable, Sounds more like your getting crappy gas mileage.

I can easily fit 2 gallons after the pump shuts off by going slow, with that i could fit 21 gallons, its not that its not filling up all the way

Gone - 2000 Sport, 1987 YJ, 1997 SE
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
MauiBuilt

I have a 15 gallon tank and I usually get about 12 gallons in from what my guage says is bone dry empty. My guess is that there are really about 3 gallons left in my tank when the needle is in the red giving me the finger. Jeep throws their guages into a blender and then fast pitches them into the dash so it's no surprise they all suck. I haven't ever ran my Jeep till there was no gas left, but if your problem is anything like mine, there is nothing to worry about.
TJB
MauiBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2007, 04:20 PM   #5
MP Jeeper

I have had a similar problem. While fueling, the auto pump shut off would not let me put any fuel in the tank unless I went very slowly. Would have to squeeze the pump just so or else (click), I could never just leave the pump in the tank to fill by itself. Lately this problem has not been occurring as frequently. I dont know why but this problem just seemed to work itself out. Maybe something to do with the back pressure on the pump that causes it to trip. If there is a valve inside the tank for that. If it were sticking or something. I could see this causing the same issue as above.

Insight anyone?
MP Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2007, 04:51 PM   #6
02tjsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have the 19 gallon (although i thought it was 18) I too can get about 2 gallons after the pump shuts off the first time. Im thinking you have the 15 gallon and you think you have the 19 gallon. Im ususually around 4-5 gallons till empty when my light comes on. However just recently was able to put 17.5 gallons in before the pump shut off the frist time...Talk about running it close to empty. I was on the interstate running 75-80 mph when the light came on(not sure how far...maybe 15 miles till i stopped to fill up)

I have, however, noticed on certain pumps, that i cant stick the pump in all the way or else i get a click (even when i am on E.) If i pull the tip of the pump out a few inches from all the way, it lets me pump just fine. I think it is because the curve of hte hose and the curve of hte pump are not the same and the fuel is splashing off the inside of the hose and back into the pump creating a false trigger for the pump. <<<thats just my reasoning/justification...please dont think im an idiot
02tjsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2007, 04:56 PM   #7
Vertical Norm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i've had the problem stated by a few here where you can put the nozzle in but when the pumps pumping fast it clicks.
it's incredibly annoying.. i never know when im full or if the gas is gonna squirt out or what
Vertical Norm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2007, 05:27 PM   #8
jcm11881
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i have similar problems with my 98 TJ, but when i overfill, it pours out of the bottom of my jeep. Im not sure where its coming from, but it pours out like a waterfall. Any thoughts?
jcm11881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2007, 11:34 AM   #9
abadjay
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP Jeeper
I have had a similar problem. While fueling, the auto pump shut off would not let me put any fuel in the tank unless I went very slowly. Would have to squeeze the pump just so or else (click), I could never just leave the pump in the tank to fill by itself. Lately this problem has not been occurring as frequently. I dont know why but this problem just seemed to work itself out. Maybe something to do with the back pressure on the pump that causes it to trip. If there is a valve inside the tank for that. If it were sticking or something. I could see this causing the same issue as above.

Insight anyone?
thats what i kind of thought it was... (back pressure) and for those of you who said pull the nozzle out a bit... iv done that in the past and it helps. im not really worried about it much, but as somebody said... its incredibly annoying.
as for the gas gauge reading on E when u really have 4 gallons or so... i think almost every car iv owned was like that. i believe they do it so its almost idiot proof so you wont run out of gas (as we all know when you make something idiot proof a bigger idiot is made)

so Im guessing my gauge is prob fairly accurate for a jeep, and the only thing that needs to be worked out is this "back pressure" issue or god knows what. it make sense though... any other thoughts?

by the way i have a 15 gallon tank and im getting about 14mpg city

Unread 01-09-2007, 11:39 AM   #10
abadjay
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i just talked to my "jack of all trades" friend... he said a gas pump works like this...

"there is a little hole in the tip of the nozzle it pulls a vacuum when gas gets sucked into it it shuts off the pump"

he also said

"if you sit there after it clicks and keep forcing it your actually letting it suck up fuel you already paid for"

I DID NOT KNOW THAT!

so to me it sounds like gas is getting backed up and it takes a few seconds for it to drain to the tank... any insights?

Unread 01-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #11
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadjay
...when i pump gas real fast it will put about 10gallons of gas in (or less) then the pump will automatically shut off, ...
There are a couple of unanswered questions here. How many gallons does your tank hold and how many gallons are left in it when you a putting 10 gallons in it?

Put a filled fuel can in the Jeep and run the tank empty. Put all of the fuel from the can into your tank and go straight to a station. This will give you the answers to the questions and give you a better idea how accurate (or not) your fuel guage is. If you are relying on the low fuel light to decide when to fuel up, that light and the fuel guage are known to be inaccurate and vary greatly from vehicle to vehicle.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2007, 12:40 PM   #12
abadjay
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm
There are a couple of unanswered questions here. How many gallons does your tank hold and how many gallons are left in it when you a putting 10 gallons in it?

Put a filled fuel can in the Jeep and run the tank empty. Put all of the fuel from the can into your tank and go straight to a station. This will give you the answers to the questions and give you a better idea how accurate (or not) your fuel gauge is. If you are relying on the low fuel light to decide when to fuel up, that light and the fuel gauge are known to be inaccurate and vary greatly from vehicle to vehicle.
i said above my tank is 15 gallons. im not real concerned about the gauge at a... i don't fallowing religiously. its more of a guide (it may be off but its a consistent gauge that wont bounce around which is good for a jeep from what i hear)

i don't have the time to totally drive my car bone dry, plus its very bad to do that. i was told that all that sediment and crap at the bottom of the tank is gonna get sucked up in your filter and engine and its just not wise to do it.

good thought but i rather just get the issue of the "not filling all the way up" get taken care of if possible... no big deal thought, iv been living with it this long. whats another 100,000 miles?

Unread 01-09-2007, 01:00 PM   #13
AlaskaTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadjay
he also said

"if you sit there after it clicks and keep forcing it your actually letting it suck up fuel you already paid for"

I DID NOT KNOW THAT!

Can anyone confirm this? I think I'll do some searching....I always "top off"...if this is true, I'll stop doing that, and just start keeping my jerry jug filled.
AlaskaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2007, 01:15 PM   #14
mattlock1983
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm
If you are relying on the low fuel light to decide when to fuel up, that light and the fuel guage are known to be inaccurate and vary greatly from vehicle to vehicle.
my fuel gauge goes into the red when i still must have about 3 or 4 gallons left in there. all i know is, i can drive around town for almost a week AFTER my low fuel light comes on before i need to fill up. and, same thing as yall... the pump cuts off prematurely and i have to pump the last few gallons really slowly. also, it seems like my fuel guage goes from "full" to "1/2" much more quickly than it goes from "1/2" to "empty". those are just my observations about my jeep.

as stated before, it is pretty annoying. but i reckon that its just "a jeep thing", like driving slow and getting bad mpg. i dont care so much, just as long as my jeep still keeps kicking *** offroad.
~2.5" Lift, LT285 MTR's, Currie HD steering, Currie Anti-Rock, Nth Oil Pan Skid, Kilby Steering Skid, Warn HS9500, Rockcrusher Diff covers, Nth Slider rear DS skid, custom bumpers, PIAA reverse lights, Tuffy Console, Uniden PC78 elite CB, Nth TT (not installed)
mattlock1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2007, 01:55 PM   #15
abadjay
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlock1983
...it seems like my fuel guage goes from "full" to "1/2" much more quickly than it goes from "1/2" to "empty". those are just my observations about my jeep.

as stated before, it is pretty annoying. but i reckon that its just "a jeep thing", like driving slow and getting bad mpg. i dont care so much, just as long as my jeep still keeps kicking *** offroad.
i agree with both of those statements!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.