Gas Tank Skid Repair / Gas tank skid bolts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gas Tank Skid Repair / Gas tank skid bolts

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-06-2009, 08:34 PM   #1
noise_maker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Gas Tank Skid Repair / Gas tank skid bolts

So I dropped my malformed stock gas tank skid (my 2000 has the supper flimsy one). After giving up finding a cheep junkyard replacement I just decided to beat the dents out till the jeep piggy bank has more money (Just had to do axel seals, and a starter)

I got it down easy as pie. Beat it with my BFH and it came out pretty good. Not perfectly square but pretty good.

I went to put it back up and had a terible time with the bolts. Only one of them didn't just spin when I tried to put the nut back on.

It took my buddy and I about 2 hours to get it all up and secured.

Word to the wise - if you do this - buy tank straps ahead of time. I busted one of mine (even after soaking in PB two days ahead of time). I ended up using one of those universal ones on one side - its OK but not as good as the stock ones.

Does anyone have a good way to re-secure those bolts coming out of tub? I am planning on replacing the skid eventually and and just looking for ideas. Spending forever with a tiny screwdriver and a set of needle nose trying to the the nuts to tighen down again does not seem like a good time.

noise_maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Best solution I can offer is to tack a weld onto the top of the nuts.
Or remove the bolts and see if nutserts can take their place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
Rubicon_Rob04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Pushnut bolt retainers will hold the square head of the carriage bolt down in channel.
Rubicon_Rob04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2009, 11:29 PM   #4
noise_maker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob97tj View Post
Pushnut bolt retainers will hold the square head of the carriage bolt down in channel.
Any Idea where I can get these? I checked at a couple local hardware stores and they did not have anything like that.
noise_maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2009, 11:49 PM   #5
mrblaine
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noise_maker View Post
Any Idea where I can get these? I checked at a couple local hardware stores and they did not have anything like that.
Send Gerald an email and he will most likely toss some in an envelope for you. We have thousands of them that we use when we supply new ones with our skids.
Unread 07-31-2009, 11:53 PM   #6
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

check the HELP section of the auto parts store
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.