Gas tank skid plate fabrication question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gas tank skid plate fabrication question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 07-16-2010, 07:30 AM   #1
cam36
2012 JK Wrangler 

Gas tank skid plate fabrication question

Hey im looking to get some skid plates for my 06 wrangler sport, but i dont feel like spending hundreds of bucks, couldnt i just cut a steel plate and bolt it over my gas tank? or is there more to it?

cam36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 07:32 AM   #2
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, a little more to it than that. If you have the tools and necessary fab skillz, take a look in the Fabrication section. they might be able to give you some better guidance than TJ tech.
Unread 07-16-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam36 View Post
Hey im looking to get some skid plates for my 06 wrangler sport, but i dont feel like spending hundreds of bucks, couldnt i just cut a steel plate and bolt it over my gas tank? or is there more to it?
Were I in your shoes with similar desires, I would take the stock skid off, slice the support flanges appropriately, overlap them 1" and weld them back up. That would raise the skid an inch and that's a big enough difference that you might not need a skid depending on where and how you wheel.

You do need a 1" body lift to finish it off, and the good news is you're not weighing down your rig with unnecessary weight.
Unread 07-16-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, I'd do what Blaine recommends. With the beefier late model skid, that's a great way to go.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fabrication , plate , skid , skid plate

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.