Gas overflow fix hose problem with GM hose - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gas overflow fix hose problem with GM hose

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
olaverty
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Gas overflow fix hose problem with GM hose

So I have had the GM fill hose installed for several months now with no problems at all with the overlfow. However, over the last month or so, I noticed that the gas pump would click off more and more, until within the last week I've had to pump the gas extremely slow so as to keep the handle from clicking off. Today I took off the GM hose, which still looked fine on the outside, no visible kink as I had installed a hose clamp on the bend. But looking inside, it seems the inner part of the hose had separated at the bend and bubbled inward, restricting the flow of gas and thus causing the pump to click off. The fix was easy, I cut out the flapper and stuffed it in the old OEM hose that I had kept, put a hose clamp around where the flapper sits, and just filled it up full speed and no overflow. Hope this helps anyone with this problem. Pics of the GM hose below.

dscn2874.jpg   dscn2875.jpg  
olaverty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info. I've been considering moving the flapper to my old hose but since it's been working I haven't done it.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
SurferJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

any more pics or description of how you did this? i just ordered the hose for my YJ and if i cant get the hose to fit, i'll try this method
SurferJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
olaverty
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry no more pics. Basically just slit the gm hose with a razor like you see in the pic above, the flapper assembly will just fall out. Then I pushed it into the bottom of the TJ hose, and pounded it on with a deep well socket the same diameter as the inside of the hose as far as I could. Then tightened around the flapper with a hose clamp for good measure. Real easy to do.
Unread 10-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
Madmunki
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Which way does the flapper go? I'll move mine to the tj hose this weekend.
Madmunki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #6
goldeagle06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

How did you guys fix it so it shuts off when full. I have an 06 tj and it doesn't click off until its already coming out
goldeagle06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
olaverty
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You want it opening toward the tank, so that when the back flow hits it, it shuts and stops the back flow. The hinge should be at the top.
Unread 10-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #8
Slobert
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thats genius. I like this better than trying to get the GM hose to fit. Too bad we can't just buy the flapper valve and skip messing with a hose we don't need.
Slobert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
SurferJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Can't wait for my hose to come into the dealer. If not today I have to wait till Monday
Unread 10-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
2405TJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the post Iíll remember this if I start having problems with the complete GM hose installation.
2405TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #11
SurferJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

got the hose today...... hoping to do this tomorrow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.