G2 Dana 44 differential cover - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > G2 Dana 44 differential cover

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair1997 - 2001 Jeep Cherokee Header Panel

Unread 07-23-2011, 11:08 PM   #1
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

G2 Dana 44 differential cover

Anyone have one of these? I am kind of looking for a cover for the rear axle that has a higher fill plug for my rotated pinion. Would appreciate anyone's opinion. I believe it is cast aluminum. I am wondering if there is potential for it to expand/contract differently than the steel/iron housing on the axle? Not sure how thick it is.

I might be able to source this one locally is the only reason I am interested.

Anyone?

g2-diff-cover.jpg  
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 06:20 AM   #2
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

bump for the morning crowd. I believe this is made by smittybuilt?? Also, think I saw "Made in USA" on one of the sites last night.
Unread 07-24-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I'd suggest the nodular cast iron diff covers, since thats what the axle housing is made of - like Solid or Rockcrusher. Poison Spyder, Riddler & Crane also qualify, and you probably have enough bumpstop extension in the rear to keep them from hitting the gas tank if the LCA's are stock length, but others might not.

Realistically...these options are smarter.
Warn:

Barnett

Four X Doctor (or something like this)

Also keep in mind you can get a 3/16" thick stamped stock cover from the junkyard out of pretty much any late 70s/early 80s Chevy, Dodge or Ford with a D44 front.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm not a fan of anything that's supposed to be armor being made of cast aluminum and would personally never buy anything made by Smittybilt. They are a steal-a-design-and-outsource-to-china company.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
Garza
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yep G2 is the "house" brand for Crap wheel parts. You cant go wrong with the ones Unlimited04 mentioned, I have used these on 2 Dana 60's I've had and on my current Dana 44 and 8.8....never an issue and they do have the higher fill plugs http://www.bluetorchfab.com/Product/...ial-Cover.aspx

I know mine is on the front, but you can get an idea of the fill plug location (hiding behind my tie-rod). You would order the Ford one if you wanted the higher fill hole.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!" BF
Garza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Inquire from G2 if they still have there iron covers.They were made by Riddler!! Identical in looks and $15 bucks cheaper.I have there iron one's on mine.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the input. Like I said, I was only interested in the G2 one cause I can buy it today and install it so I can get to work tomorrow. I just got back to town and am am going to put the OEM one back on and just probably disconnect the upper control arms to rotate my pinion back down for filling with the stock cover hole being where it is.

I thought about putting as much fluid in where it is, and then driving to a steep hill to get it angle right for topping it off. I'd guess I could get about a quart into it and then would have to drive about a mile to the hill that would allow me to get the 2nd quart into it. Bad idea?? I just hate disconnecting control arms some times.
ideas
Unread 07-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Try jacking the rear end up to get more fluid in.
Unread 07-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #9
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay12 View Post
Try jacking the rear end up to get more fluid in.
Yep, I'm looking at that right now. Have 4.5" springs and a tummy tuck so, it's kind of angled.
Unread 07-25-2011, 07:33 AM   #10
Whobeme
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have the G2 hardened aluminum cover you were asking about and haven't had a problem with it yet. It had taken some nasty hits and drags. It came as a freebee when I got the axle. Would I have bought it, no. With that said, I've been impressed with it so far.
Whobeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #11
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If you're looking for something with a higher fill plug then check out the ARB covers. The plug has an incorporated dipstick for checking fluid levels also.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.