G2 dana 44 break-in question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > G2 dana 44 break-in question

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 12-23-2013, 12:17 AM   #1
flexedtj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

G2 dana 44 break-in question

So i changed my gear oil at the 500 mile break-in. I'm not sure if something is wrong or this is normal but the fluid I removed from the axle was grey with what I am assuming is metal shavings from everything seating into the brand new axle housing, gears and ARB locker. I have not yet been able to test the locker however there isn't a single noise or anything coming from the axle. Nice and smooth with no issues.

So is the grey gear oil something I should be worried about?

flexedtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
Craft95ZJ
1986 MJ Comanche 

most companies put a moly base of some sort on their ring and pinions, so that grey your seeing in the fluid is more then likely the grease they put on from the factory.
Unread 12-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds about right, but if you are really worried about it, give them a call at G2 and see what they say.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Also it could be a shipping lubricant/ coating that when mixed up with the oil and heat caused a funky color.

My standard USA gears as well as Yukon gears I have used in the past seem to tint the gear oil but not nearly as bad as you are describing. It must be the pre coating of the gears and or locker.

You should have a good amount of silver metal flakes in the oil when you change it at 500 miles. I use a cheap gear oil and a couple of cheap tooth bushes to clean and get most of the flakes out, spray with a little cleaner, relube / coat with cheap gear oil and clean the bottom of the diff with a shop rag and then fill her up with your gear oil of choice!
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
StupendousMan

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have had two gear changing (4:88 and 4:56) and both had a metallic look to the fluid coming out (dark gray) after the 500ish miles.
StupendousMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

When I changed the fluid in my G2 44 at 500 miles it was also greyish. Pretty common on new parts.

Sent from my XT881freeze ray gun using JeepForum

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.