G2 Currie RockJock 60 Offset Correct? Rock Jock - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > G2 Currie RockJock 60 Offset Correct? Rock Jock

Corbeau Seats & Harness from CCOR!1989 Jeep Wrangler Clutch Kit with Slave Cylinder for L6 41987-1995 Jeep Wrangler Mirror Manual Folding Pair

Unread 04-23-2015, 05:32 PM   #1
SoFutile05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

G2 Currie RockJock 60 Offset Correct? Rock Jock

After twisting a Moser HD axle in my 2005 Rubicon’s rear D44, I had a Currie RockJock 60 crate axle installed. The axle was purchased from G2 who installed 4.88’s and an Eaton Elocker 4 (great locker). While getting an alignment, we noticed that the pinion is not positioned in the same vertical plane as the output shaft from the 241 transfer case. The differential is offset some to the driver’s side.

I’ve had vibration problems with the truck ever since the original lift was installed. One of the rationales for the RJ60 was that the high pinion would minimize vibrations at highway speeds. Now I’m looking at the Tom Wood driveshaft dealing with compound angles. This does not seem right to me.

Why would the RockJock not be built to align the pinion with the transfer case output? What are the implications of having this misalignment? Note in the picture the angle of the driveshaft compared to the skid plate under the differential.

Currie doesn’t want to talk to me because the axle was purchased from G2, and I’ve since learned that G2 has a reputation for some of the worst customer service in the industry. My only call to them substantiated this. Does anyone know if 4 Wheel Parts takes any interest/responsibility in G2 since they’re part on the same conglomerate? Doubtful.

Thanks…

SoFutile05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2015, 06:09 PM   #2
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFutile05 View Post
After twisting a Moser HD axle in my 2005 Rubicon’s rear D44, I had a Currie RockJock 60 crate axle installed. The axle was purchased from G2 who installed 4.88’s and an Eaton Elocker 4 (great locker). While getting an alignment, we noticed that the pinion is not positioned in the same vertical plane as the output shaft from the 241 transfer case. The differential is offset some to the driver’s side.

I’ve had vibration problems with the truck ever since the original lift was installed. One of the rationales for the RJ60 was that the high pinion would minimize vibrations at highway speeds. Now I’m looking at the Tom Wood driveshaft dealing with compound angles. This does not seem right to me.

Why would the RockJock not be built to align the pinion with the transfer case output? What are the implications of having this misalignment? Note in the picture the angle of the driveshaft compared to the skid plate under the differential.

Currie doesn’t want to talk to me because the axle was purchased from G2, and I’ve since learned that G2 has a reputation for some of the worst customer service in the industry. My only call to them substantiated this. Does anyone know if 4 Wheel Parts takes any interest/responsibility in G2 since they’re part on the same conglomerate? Doubtful.

Thanks…

G2's problem because they ordered the axles to their spec. If you want to find out how to go about a possible resolution, play dumb, call Currie back and ask them about building a RJ60 HP for your TJ and find out if they center the pinion or offset it slightly to the passenger side like it should be.

If they offset it, find out by how much and if the axles are the same length. If the axles are the same length, that means the pinion is offset because a normal centered pinion can't normally have the same length axles due to the offset of the ring gear beside the pinion.

Once you know if Currie builds to the rig and not to the axles they have on the shelf for another application, then you have some idea of which way to go to get this resolved.

I'm 99% certain that G2 doesn't use Currie Axles and instead, use axles they have that are off the shelf to fit the Dana 44's they build with set 10 bearings. Also makes them different lengths by a bit.
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2015, 06:15 PM   #3
amiller
2005 TJ Wrangler 

For what it is worth, I have the G2 rock jock 60 also. Mine is offset a bit to the passenger side. I like the axle, but am considering putting it under another jeep in the future. I have no noticeable vibrations to speak of, but my transfercase output seal starting seeping/leaking recently and I have some very slight angry sparrows starting in the rear driveshaft. Good luck to you. If you get this issue resolved, please post your findings, or send me a PM. I would like to see what G2 has to say about it.

EDIT: It looks like mrblaine knocked another one out of the park!

Edit #2: It seems like I was once again mistaken, mine is offset almost identical to yours.

Unread 04-23-2015, 07:27 PM   #4
88hatchy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here is mine. Never noticed that it was offset before, but I don't have any vibrations.
image.jpg  
Unread 04-23-2015, 07:28 PM   #5
88hatchy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Another shot.
image.jpg  
Unread 04-23-2015, 08:08 PM   #6
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88hatchy View Post
Another shot.
You can deal with the offset by setting the axle off center so the offset isn't there.
Unread 04-23-2015, 08:24 PM   #7
88hatchy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
You can deal with the offset by setting the axle off center so the offset isn't there.
It really doesn't bother me. I don't have any vibrations at all.
Unread 04-23-2015, 08:26 PM   #8
jeepn4life92
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88hatchy View Post
It really doesn't bother me. I don't have any vibrations at all.
I think he was joking unless I misinterpreted what he said, he suggested moving the whole axle assembly over under the vehicle until the pinion and tcase were perfectly aligned....
jeepn4life92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2015, 08:34 PM   #9
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepn4life92 View Post
I think he was joking unless I misinterpreted what he said, he suggested moving the whole axle assembly over under the vehicle until the pinion and tcase were perfectly aligned....
It was a joking reference to anyone with the issue to try offsetting the axle to see if the vibes go away. If that works, then the axle needs to be fixed.

If it doesn't, then something else needs to be fixed. My personal preference is for the axle pinion offset to match OEM. You can't do that with a centered pinion on the axle itself.

Also, the TJ drivetrain is offset to the passenger side to let the driveshaft sneak by.

I only know one thing when it comes to TJ rear pinion vibes. No two are the same and no one else's example will work to fix yours.

I just had one that I finally had to throw in the towel and break out the angle finder because the same method I've used to set the pinion and dial out vibes failed to work after 10 tries. TGFDACA

This particular one with the front pulled was sensitive to a 1/2° variation between the shaft and pinion angle. If I set it more than 1/2° off either direction, it would vibrate with the familiar harmonic resonance that cycles front to back in the vehicle.
Unread 04-23-2015, 11:41 PM   #10
Ljcrawler05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post

It was a joking reference to anyone with the issue to try offsetting the axle to see if the vibes go away. If that works, then the axle needs to be fixed.

If it doesn't, then something else needs to be fixed. My personal preference is for the axle pinion offset to match OEM. You can't do that with a centered pinion on the axle itself.

Also, the TJ drivetrain is offset to the passenger side to let the driveshaft sneak by.

I only know one thing when it comes to TJ rear pinion vibes. No two are the same and no one else's example will work to fix yours.

I just had one that I finally had to throw in the towel and break out the angle finder because the same method I've used to set the pinion and dial out vibes failed to work after 10 tries. TGFDACA

This particular one with the front pulled was sensitive to a 1/2° variation between the shaft and pinion angle. If I set it more than 1/2° off either direction, it would vibrate with the familiar harmonic resonance that cycles front to back in the vehicle.
Just out of curiosity which model did you have to do this on?
Ljcrawler05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2015, 06:27 AM   #11
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljcrawler05 View Post
Just out of curiosity which model did you have to do this on?
03 Rubicon, 4:10's, auto, 4" lift, new 33" tires on quality rims, full Currie/Savvy suspension and steering and the kicker, 24,000 miles on the ODO and the front driveshaft was bad.

After a couple of tries and getting nowhere, I pulled the front, got the back good, and then put the front back on. Vibe city all the way to 2° caster, but it handled like crap so we ordered a new front and got it back to 5+. It handled better at 6 but we couldn't get it good there.
Unread 04-24-2015, 07:41 AM   #12
JWebber
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I feel your pain with G2 guys, When I ordered my D44 built axle, They asked for my setup, brakes etc.. Told them drums etc.. They installed the axle retaining plates and flipped them. The retainers were for disk rear brakes, My bearing preload had all kinds of slop it them both sides.

I told them they needed to use the right ones for drum brakes setup which are flat. After four rounds of trying to get them to understand, Finally had a corporate guy come out to a local store and address the problem. PITA! Process! I had to do all of this because I had their warranty too.
JWebber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2015, 08:00 AM   #13
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWebber View Post
I feel your pain with G2 guys, When I ordered my D44 built axle, They asked for my setup, brakes etc.. Told them drums etc.. They installed the axle retaining plates and flipped them. The retainers were for disk rear brakes, My bearing preload had all kinds of slop it them both sides.

I told them they needed to use the right ones for drum brakes setup which are flat. After four rounds of trying to get them to understand, Finally had a corporate guy come out to a local store and address the problem. PITA! Process! I had to do all of this because I had their warranty too.
Went through similar with a local guy. He ordered front and rear and spec'd the rear with disc brakes. All said and done, it showed up without brakes. He went a few rounds with them and finally gave them their axles back before he installed them. The price wasn't low enough that they couldn't have tossed in the parts which is all he wanted.

The salesman screwed up and didn't itemize the build sheet. It only said Dana 44 rear axle assembly with the locker and axle shafts.
Unread 04-24-2015, 05:29 PM   #14
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, its always a good thing to go over the build sheet before you give a vendor their final payment on something being built to your personal specs.

I had with problem with Currie when they contacted me for final payment on my 9". I asked the sales person who contacted me if he had the build sheet? He said no, I told him to go get it. When he finally got back on the phone we started going through the line items. When he said that's it (no shaved line item), I asked him where my axle was and who he was shipping that axle to? He responded that this was my axle an he was shipping it to me. I told him that my axle is a shaved 9".

After a long discussion the owner of the shop that was letting me use one of his stalls, took the phone away from me because he could tell that I was getting a bit angry. I left the shop and came back the next day to find out what was going to happen. Mike (the shop owner) said everything has been taken care of. Currie had to uncrate the axle, strip it down, shave it, put it back together and crate it again to ship it. All I had to pay was the $110 for the shaving, I got an apology from Currie and they admitted that the miscommunication was on their end. Can you imagine the mess that it would have turned into if I hadn't done the build sheet verification before it was shipped and found an unshaved 9" in the crate?

Always check your build sheet...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.