Fun with physics. Math nerds needed - JeepForum.com

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 05-20-2016, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Fun with physics. Math nerds needed

Hello everyone, I'm working on a physics project for school and am trying to explain and calculate the forces present in a trac lok LSD. I mostly understand how it works I just need help with calculations. Found this website, could someone possibly help identify the variables on the straight bevel gears and help me calculate the forces present

https://www3.nd.edu/~manufact/FME_pd.../FME3_Ch15.pdf

You can't get over one girl until you're under the next
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-20-2016, 02:06 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, good news, apparently I'm not nerd enough to be of any help to you.

Good luck.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #3 of 18 Old 05-20-2016, 02:22 PM
Denzien

2006 LJ Wrangler 

That little PDF is just going to go into my archive...

2006 LJ
2013 MINI Cooper S Convertible, Highgate Edition
2014 Honda Odyssey Touring
post #4 of 18 Old 05-20-2016, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Come on guys, the straight bevel gears is the easy part haha. I'm trying my best but I can't figure out sin of the angle, or what the angle is referencing
post #5 of 18 Old 05-21-2016, 04:59 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed.

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
Wow, good news, apparently I'm not nerd enough to be of any help to you.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Springs have one job and one job only and it isn't to affect, determine, or create ride quality.
post #6 of 18 Old 05-21-2016, 07:00 AM
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Maybe alpha is referencing the angle between the gear shafts? Later in the pdf, they mention they are only talking about right angle shafts, which might explain why an explanation of alpha is never given.

If that's the case Wr will always be 0 though, which doesn't seem right.

***edit***
Your pdf screwed up a letter. Alpha in the equation represents gamma in the diagram.

see page 9 of this:
https://eis.hu.edu.jo/ACUploads/10526/CH%2013.pdf
post #7 of 18 Old 05-21-2016, 07:31 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed.

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
Maybe alpha is referencing the angle between the gear shafts? Later in the pdf, they mention they are only talking about right angle shafts, which might explain why an explanation of alpha is never given.

If that's the case Wr will always be 0 though, which doesn't seem right.

***edit***
Your pdf screwed up a letter. Alpha in the equation represents gamma in the diagram.

see page 9 of this:
http://eis.hu.edu.jo/ACUploads/10526/CH%2013.pdf
Went straight over my head.
Tylers88 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Springs have one job and one job only and it isn't to affect, determine, or create ride quality.
post #8 of 18 Old 05-21-2016, 07:36 AM
Dryseals
1980 CJ7 

I wish they would have taught math in a different manner in school and given some real world examples instead of just teaching formulas over and over. I took advanced math all through school but never went on to college, started in electronics straight out of school. Funny but now I have been knocking the cob webs out of my head doing probability calcs for safety instrument equipment systems. This gear stuff is fun....

So I take it Wt is the load the gear is capable of transmitting....I need to understand the difference between the term "load" and torque now......
post #9 of 18 Old 05-21-2016, 08:11 AM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryseals View Post
I need to understand the difference between the term "load" and torque now......
load is normal to a surface...it's force pushing perpendicular to a plane. force is in units of lbs, kg or newtons. think about standing on a scale - gravity is pulling you perpendicular to the floor so your weight is the force you exert on the earth, in pounds.

torque is a rotational moment of force, or a "turning force" about an object. torque is in units of force times the length of the lever arm. think about tightening a lug nut. the force you apply to the lug nut is via a breaker bar or wrench - the torque is the force times the length of the bar. You if you apply 50 lbs with a 2 ft breaker bar, you have 100 ft-lbs of torque applied to the lug nut.

and no, i won't solve your gear problems for you. You're on your own - theres plenty of videos and tutorials online. I stumbled through this kind of stuff for 10+ years to get 3 degrees in engineering - if you want advise - just make a best guess and keep moving.
post #10 of 18 Old 05-21-2016, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Ok, thanks that helps some. I'm trying to solve for the axial force. Any idea on how I could estimate the two angles in the example of spider gears and side gears inside of a trac lol differential? What is Wt and W representing and how do I find them
post #11 of 18 Old 05-21-2016, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Just so everyone knows, I'm not trying to cheat or anything by asking for help to solve this. It's just an extra project for the end of the year and I thought it'd be cool if I could calculate some of the actual forces at play.
post #12 of 18 Old 05-21-2016, 08:26 AM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevlaw View Post
Just so everyone knows, I'm not trying to cheat or anything by asking for help to solve this. It's just an extra project for the end of the year and I thought it'd be cool if I could calculate some of the actual forces at play.
http://www.engineersedge.com/gear_formula.htm
post #13 of 18 Old 05-21-2016, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevlaw View Post
http://www.engineersedge.com/gear_formula.htm
Thanks unlimited, I'm gonna have to spend some time looking through all this after work today
post #14 of 18 Old 05-21-2016, 08:47 AM
Leffnasty
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you are trying to find Wt or the tangential force in that straight bevel gear diagram, you would just multiply by cos(phi) both sides and then the cosines cancel. You would be left with

Wt = T / r(avg)
post #15 of 18 Old 05-21-2016, 11:33 AM
Dryseals
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
load is normal to a surface...it's force pushing perpendicular to a plane. force is in units of lbs, kg or newtons. think about standing on a scale - gravity is pulling you perpendicular to the floor so your weight is the force you exert on the earth, in pounds.

torque is a rotational moment of force, or a "turning force" about an object. torque is in units of force times the length of the lever arm. think about tightening a lug nut. the force you apply to the lug nut is via a breaker bar or wrench - the torque is the force times the length of the bar. You if you apply 50 lbs with a 2 ft breaker bar, you have 100 ft-lbs of torque applied to the lug nut.

and no, i won't solve your gear problems for you. You're on your own - theres plenty of videos and tutorials online. I stumbled through this kind of stuff for 10+ years to get 3 degrees in engineering - if you want advise - just make a best guess and keep moving.
Thanks, I did some reading and figured it out, in my line of work, Load is in the electrical format, so I needed to change my line of thought.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.