Full Traction 6" Long Arm on an 03 Rubicon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Full Traction 6" Long Arm on an 03 Rubicon

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-19-2004, 03:58 AM   #1
Seapahn

Full Traction 6" Long Arm on an 03 Rubicon

Here are some poser, action, and close up pics of my setup in case anyone is wondering what the Full Traction 6" Long Arm kit looks and works like on an 03 Rubicon.

Seapahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2004, 03:59 AM   #2
Seapahn

(click for bigger)
Unread 06-19-2004, 04:00 AM   #3
Seapahn

(click for bigger)

Top row: Rear looking from the back, then different angles from the passenger side.
Bottom row: looking from the driver side, zoom at the top joint, steering, and closeup of the joint at the axle.
Unread 06-19-2004, 04:54 AM   #4
Grady

Awesome
You don't have many/any pics of the Rubi on your web site?

What doesn't kill you...
just hurts like hell.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #3
USN JEEP HULL #11
'02 TJ
'04 Grand Cherokee
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2004, 02:08 PM   #5
PrfctAggression
Web Wheeler

That's a pretty slick-looking setup. I dig how it does away with the rear trackbar.
[COLOR=yellow]Yellow Jeep Club and Redneck Jeep Club member #666 [/COLOR]
PrfctAggression is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2004, 02:22 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's an awesome lift, congrats! I wish I had one just like it in my TJ!

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine
When you have a choice, buy American.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2004, 03:23 PM   #7
Seapahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady
Awesome
You don't have many/any pics of the Rubi on your web site?
Not yet! I'm working on it though ... was resizing the pics for the website but figured I'd post them because who knows when I'll have the time to update the site

Thanks by the way.
Unread 06-19-2004, 08:06 PM   #8
MA_GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seapahn
Not yet! I'm working on it though ... was resizing the pics for the website but figured I'd post them because who knows when I'll have the time to update the site

Thanks by the way.

Great setup man, that's the 1st time I hear about Full Traction.

I always thought that RE was the best and only good one out there.

What sold you on that specific lift?
Are these regular Heim joints ? are they quiet or squeaky?
How much did the lift cost ya (-installation) if u don't mind me askinn' !!!!!

Wheel on dude

young goat that wants to be a big goat

_(OIIIIIIIO)_
MA_GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2004, 08:27 PM   #9
Seapahn

Well, it was not a single thing that sold me on the lift but more a combination of factors. Most of all, it was the fact that RE had trouble getting their parts out and basically an "indefinite" backorder at the time I was out to get the lift ... It was basically down to RE 5.5 and the FT 6".

It's a heck of a lift and very well put together. There is almost no bump steer and a bit of break steer which you won't hear me complain about! It handles and rides great. The lift was not squeeky at all at first ... however, after a few days in moab, it really started squeeking and whining bad. It was all the dryness and the dust getting in there ... I would guess a bit of oil into the joints would fix that but I never bothered with it.

On the streets and highways there are pretty much no noises or squeeks and with the RS9000X's set at 1 (softest), it rides like a luxury car!

I was worried about driveshaft vibrations with the 6" lift but there is no vibration what so ever (had to get a CV-shaft made using some of the Full Traction parts). I am not sure what they provide for the drive shaft as fourxdoctor who did the entire install took care of that part. It also needed some serious exhaust rework.

Total bill, including the lift, install, shocks, drive shaft, and exhaust came close to $5K including taxes and shipping etc. I believe the line item for labor to install the lift was $1K and the lift itself was somewhere around $2300 but I'm not 100% sure on those at the moment. All in all, I am very satisfied with the work they did with the install.

Oh and forgot the $1500 for the wheels and tires ... 35" MTRs on 15x8 Unique 252s.

One thing which I am VERY happy about after the lift is the fact that the belly goes up a few inches in addition to the lift compared to stock Rubicon center pan.

Last edited by Seapahn; 06-19-2004 at 08:36 PM..
Unread 06-19-2004, 08:39 PM   #10
blupupher

I always wondered how the rear 3 link hooked up, nice pics. The 4" LA is starting to look awfully good now, except the price.
So is it a true "bolt on" kit?
blupupher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2004, 08:40 PM   #11
RKHOWND

There are some major differences between the RE and Full Traction lifts.

The RE is a 4 link rear that uses a drop trac bar bracket and adjustable trac bar. The Full Traction kit utilizes a 3 link rear. That is the truss you see over the rear diff that attaches to the upper control arm mounts and the sway bar mounts. This allows for the removal of the rear track bar and allows for better flex in the rear.

If you are using these setups greasing the joints is almost mandatory or you will start blowing them up soon after install. Plus the squeeking has to be loud if you don't.
Unread 06-19-2004, 08:50 PM   #12
MA_GOAT

So pretty much the FT has regular Heim joints not something like RE has with the rebuildable cartridge.

Has anyone checked out their site with the 4" Ultimate TJ suspension...it's got the 3 point setup in the rear too and adjustable control arms all around...!!!

I need some input on these Heim joints cuz I've heard bad things about them and I was a click away from purchasing an RE 3.5 Super Flex until I saw that thread !!!

young goat that wants to be a big goat

_(OIIIIIIIO)_
MA_GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2004, 08:54 PM   #13
Seapahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by blupupher
So is it a true "bolt on" kit?
Well yes and no ... I don't think you need to weld anything other than the exhaust work so it is sorta "bolt on". But it's definitely nothing I would have done myself.

You need to cut the control arm pockets off the frame. They give you frame reinforcement brackets for those parts that bolt on and box the frame in. There are a couple of other brackets and things that get cut off. Pretty much everything else bolts into place either using stock locations or by drilling a few holes here and there. Obviously since I didn't do the install myself, I don't know all those minor details that creep up (they are sure to be there). However, the lift is not easily "reversible" back to stock without a lot of work to weld the things that get cut back on.

One thing to watch out for is that there is a different bracket for the manual tranny than the automatic. So make sure you get the right one if you order. Redoing the rear driveshaft is also a must with this much lift or you'll have severe vibrations.

The rest (which I consider the "hard part") is all the adjustments and doing the bump stops. I would guess this is where having the expertise of having done similar lifts in the past really comes in handy.

There are also break line extensions that come with the kit. One problem I had in Moab was that the c-clips holding the break line extensions onto the frame brackets on each side in the front fell off at some point and the lines were just hanging. A bit of slick duct tape work on my part and they are back on there for good but yah there seems to be a slight flaw in the way those c-clips hold the break lines in place. No biggie though.

1blackjeep, I'll get all the joints greased up asap
Unread 06-19-2004, 09:00 PM   #14
Seapahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA_GOAT
I need some input on these Heim joints cuz I've heard bad things about them and I was a click away from purchasing an RE 3.5 Super Flex until I saw that thread !!!
Well, they seem pretty solid to me but I only have about 2K miles with only a few serious offroad trips. The major problem I was aware of with this lift was the 3-link in the back breaking off the rear axle. They have redone that as you can see and it seems very very solid right now. But then again, for me at this point, only time will tell !!!

At this point, I would say you can't really go wrong with either the RE or the FT. They are both great kits.
Unread 06-20-2004, 04:31 AM   #15
RKHOWND

My bad, I didn't even notice that those were Heim Joints. I was only looking at the Uni-ball at the upper rear. I haven't seen them personally, but I would assume that they are greaseable.

Have you really heard of the tri-link bracket breaking off? That's hard to picture if it's installed correctly. Especially with being bolted in at six different locations not including the upper arms. My setup uses a similar bracket in the rear (Although I think FT borrowed the design a little) except it has another piece that bolts up to the rear diff and the back of the bracket for added strength.

MA_Goat, I think that you will have to decide for yourself if you want a setup with Heims, Johnny's, or Cartridge Joints. Different people have different experiences. Mine currently uses 2 and half inch cartridge joints with greaseable bolts, but I hear that Troy is developing a new grease impregnated joint that will replace the current setup and never need maintenance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.